Teh ForumHosting

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Manthorp     
37500.61 In reply to 37500.51 
Last time, I believed we just transferred the money directly to BP. The problem with Paypal is that it takes a cut of the money. Fair enough for donations from other Beehive users, but if we can avoid that when handing hosting cash to BP (or whoever), so much the better.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
37500.62 In reply to 37500.61 
PayPal only take a cut if you're getting paid, i.e. providing a service or selling something using PayPal as a checkout.

If you're sending or receiving money you'll get charged for using a debit or credit card to send the money, but it's free if you link a bank account to your PayPal account and transfer funds between the two.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Ok, so I've received my reminder that in four weeks time we need to be on another host.

Linode was the favourite before - we still happy to go with them?

I've also been reminded by this that EuroVPS still haven't paid back the credit they owe.

The last update from them was in response to asking why they still tried to take money after instruction not to auto-renew:
quote: euroVPS/Douglas @ 29th July
>>Please also confirm that the auto-renewal has been turned off for Subscription XXXX, and that this will expire on 7th Oct 2010.
Despite my previous request for this, your system recently tried to take payment from my card to auto-renew this subscription (Transaction XXXXX).

We have disabled all auto-renewal for your account.

Kindly hold on until our accounts director updates you.

The accounts director has not updated me, and they still owe the €150.44 credit.

Anyone want to suggest a suitable message to poke them with?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
37500.64 In reply to 37500.63 

"Oi, grey suited accounting boy! Giz our cash back, ya cunt."

Should do it.

GIVE ME MEAT! :@ msg:37418.1
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
37500.65 In reply to 37500.64 
Don't suppose your absence from the teh meat was due to you being in the Netherlands and saying that in person?

Because I hadn't poked yet, but got this email at the weekend:

quote:
Hi Peter,

First of all, I thank you for your business over the past few years, and if by the end of this mail I have not convinced you to stay with us - then I will immediately send you the 150 EUR credit note.

Let me start by pointing out that you are currently subscribed to a legacy plan.

We have recently upgraded our VPS plans in more ways than 1. New hardware, persistent storage, higher-spec plans, and lower pricing points. If this is of interest of you, we can migrate you to our new VPS200 Plan free of charge.

Another interesting development which I would like to make you aware of, is our pending release of Xen based cloud servers featuring failover nodes, failover SAN, and instant scalability. We are currently BETA testing this offering inhouse, and to tell you the truth, this product will make Virtuozzo VPS all but obsolete. If you chose to stay with EuroVPS - we will offer you a 3 month free evaluation period on our new Cloud VPS offering (on top of your existing credit note).

Thank you for your patience in regards to this credit note, but we usually do not give cash back on credit notes, but I made an exception considering your standing with our company. If you still want to receive the credit note in cash-back format, please send me a paypal ID where we can send the monies to.

Best regards,

So, that's good that they'll give the credit back, though it probably makes sense to at least consider the offerings - I guess we'll need to wait for Matt to return before we can give a final answer, but anyway here are the details:

The VPS200 mentioned there is €34 (~£28) a month paid yearly (so ~£336) and gives:
* 1024MB guaranteed RAM, 2048 burst RAM
* 20GB disk space
* 2TB bandwidth

So far there's not much details on the Cloud service, but prices appear to starts at $50 (£375 for first year, £500 after) which seem a bit pricey - a small amount of more details at euroiaas.com, so if we are interested we'd need to ask.

The closest Linode plans to the VPS200 seems to be:

Linode 1024 for $40 (£26) monthly
* 1024MB RAM
* 32GB storage
* 400GB transfer

But there is a cheaper Linode option, if we don't actually need all that RAM, space and transfer - the Linode 512 is $20 monthly (£13) and provides:

* 512MB RAM
* 16GB storage
* 200GB transfer

Potentially, if we wanted to get fancy, we could get two Linode 512 servers, one for web server one for db, and optimise each server appropriately.

No details of guaranteed/burst RAM available on Linode site, and no details of what CPUs run .

Linode have a 99.9% uptime guarantee, or you get the lost time refunded. EuroVPS are currently promising 99.97% with limited compensation and exclusions.

I'd need to go check, but I'm pretty sure we're way under 16GB of space and don't even get close to 200GB transfer. Not sure about RAM usage though.

So yeah, if anyone has any thoughts on that, go ahead, but as I said we probably need to wait for Matt to return.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37500.66 In reply to 37500.65 
That's exactly what I was doing :|

GIVE ME MEAT! :@ msg:37418.1
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37500.67 In reply to 37500.65 
monies

(giggle)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37500.68 In reply to 37500.65 
Was his name Mr Agdgdgwengo? He's a dear friend of mine.

[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37500.69 In reply to 37500.65 
quote:
Linode 1024 for $40 (£26) monthly
* 1024MB RAM
* 32GB storage
* 400GB transfer

That, preferrably. Means we can give MySQL >512MB RAM if neccesary. I'm hoping we can use nginx or lighttpd instead of Apache, or nginx/lighttpd proxying PHP requests through to Apache.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Peeps, has anyone got any of the donations yet? How are we doing this? We should probably prod milko and have him check the Amazon kitty too.

Seriously, I'm tempted to get Kenny in here to organise it all.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
37500.71 In reply to 37500.70 
I thought you were organising it all :?

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt      
37500.72 In reply to 37500.71 
I am. Just not in this universe :-&
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 37500.73 was deleted

Sorry all for slight delay in this.

Donations still not yet required, because Linode charge the same rate monthly/annually, so we'll start with just one month to make certain that we're happy with them, the €150 will take us further forward, and so then after that I'll start collecting donations.

For future reference, and because I mentioned checking it before, we're currently using 5.4GB disk space, and our monthly data transfer is between 3..4GB (with a 10GB peak in either March or April).

On those fronts, we're fine with the base Linode 512 plan, but since we're currently using ~790MB of RAM (and that's with only 12 active users), that definitely points us at the Linode 1024 plan.
(It looks like you can upgrade more-or-less on-the-fly, so if 1GB is not enough we can increase it, or jump up to the next plan, as appropriate).

Ok, so, Matt can you do your usual precautionary backing up, before I go reply to EuroVPS to get the credit refunded.

Also, should I go ahead and order the Linode 1024 now, so you have some time to setup/fiddle/test this weekend, and then plan for the actual migration next weekend, or something else?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37500.75 In reply to 37500.74 
quote:
Matt can you do your usual precautionary backing up, before I go reply to EuroVPS to get the credit refunded.

Done.

quote:
Also, should I go ahead and order the Linode 1024 now, so you have some time to setup/fiddle/test this weekend, and then plan for the actual migration next weekend, or something else?

If you can afford to do that, some time to set things up and test would be useful, yes. If you could email me (matt@teh) the credentials when you have the Linode account created, I'll get everything going.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37500.76 In reply to 37500.75 

Ok, thanks, will go do that in a sec, and email you once it's up.

I'll signup initially for the Linode 512 plan though - upgrading is basically just a reboot (all data+config kept), and can be done at any time (pro-rated) so it'll be slightly cheaper.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

When did we last do a payment? I'm trying to work out where the Amazon affiliate fund is at.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

So? Does it work?

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37500.79 In reply to 37500.78 
Was that the smoothest migration we've done?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
37500.80 In reply to 37500.79 
It helped having the new server available to play with for a few days before switching over.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80  81–100

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats