GeneralI miss you guys

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  milko     
42943.81 In reply to 42943.80 
Is there more to allowing somebody to post regularly than allowing their current post? Kweston's post was awaiting approval then Yve approved it, but that didn't allow his next one.

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42943.82 In reply to 42943.81 
None of the mod stuff works on the mobile site, which is frustrating. I tried taking him out of the new user group but I've forgotten what they all mean. There's checkboxes for all the permissions and posts needing approval isn't checked in any folder.
:¬]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.83 In reply to 42943.80 
Believe me, I've spent a lot of today scratching my head over it!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
as far as I can tell, it's done, he's not in the new user group and everything seems as it should be. But this is one area of the forum controls that was always a bit of an interface-puzzler, we're all out of practice!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.85 In reply to 42943.84 
I eventually found the list of user groups and did have a good laugh at some of them, particularly the one with one member.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Gobfounded (YVE)     
42943.86 In reply to 42943.85 
I have now abused my powers to make WilliamA a mod as well, just in case that helps some time. Who else wants to be one?
milko
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.87 In reply to 42943.85 
I think that one-user group was for good ol' Trig originally, I can't even remember the one who's in there now!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.88 In reply to 42943.86 
Aha, I shall ban, ban, ban!!!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.89 In reply to 42943.88 
As it happens, I seem to remember I was briefly a mod or something on a previous teh, not that I recall ever doing anything.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.90 In reply to 42943.88 
 :'-( 

And hello Yve and Kweston! Nice to see some blasts from the past again, it's amazing how time flies. On PCFF and NPCFF, I was a spotty teenager, last year I turned 40 and have more grey hairs than I can count these days - at least on the parts of my head that aren't bald.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
42943.91 In reply to 42943.90 
Hi, Dave!!

Some aspects of this getting older and supposedly wiser thing are a bit rough, aren't they? I quite like my grey hair but I was less than impressed with the cataract I had removed, last year and the arthritis can just do one.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.92 In reply to 42943.91 
Naproxen's your best friend. Physio is when some bloke phones you up a year after your referral to tell you how to download some shit exercises from the web that you knew about anyway but rejected because you can't get across the room let alone "stretch regularly".

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.93 In reply to 42943.92 
I have to save the Naproxen for when I put something out of joint because, even with omeprazole, it wrecks my guts. I have enough other stuff to make me rattle, though.

And yeah, the physio was mostly useless. The back exercises were great but the ones for my knees just made them hurt more. I saw an occupational therapist who recommended me a load of the grey vinyl stuff that you see on rightmove in probate sales and made me a hand splint that wasn't as good as the support I bought for £8 on t'Interweb.

That was all before the NHS completely imploded.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.94 In reply to 42943.93 
At the risk of turning this thread into an "old-folks-compare-illness" session:
Quote: 
the ones for my knees just made them hurt more

Yep, exactly. January 23 2019 I drove home from a weekend away in Bournemouth and noticed that both my knees were getting a bit uncomfortable. By the next day I couldn't walk across the room without crutches and the pain was excrutiating. Stayed that way until the middle of June when my friendly local physio phoned out of the blue under the impression that I had bad arms. Emailed me a link to some exercises. Me and Mrs WilliamA had a good laugh at the leg stretches. I couldn't even get my legs into the starting position without tears and sweat pouring off me, let alone stretch. 

I'm really lucky though. Within about a month of that, and without a single exercise, my knees relented and I was up and walking almost like normal. X-rays suggested I hadn't done too much damage either. Touch wood (nj) I haven't had anything as bad as that since. Still ache if I overdo it and my GP cheers me up with the news that my hips will need "doing" in a few years (the odd part is that three of my old school chums who were always super fit and healthy have had hips and knees replaced already).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.95 In reply to 42943.94 
I suppose being super fit can involve putting your joints under some strain and wear. And you gotta work on flexibility and whatnot separately to most of the fitness stuff.

I'm 45 now and veteran of rather more physio (NHS and private) than I'd like to be thanks to various shoulder surgeries and mountain bike crashes etc. Enough that I can even ill-informedly speculate on why your knees got better! Had you done a lot of walking around that weekend as well? Apparently if the cartilage is thin and abused enough you can literally bruise the bones. And/or if you have bony ridges forming they can inflame the tendons and stuff, that's sore as hell too.

It's reasonably likely I have some arthritic times to look forward to sooner or later, apart from the shoulders I definitely have at least one foot heading that way (which is where I got that cartilage/bone bruising info from). Touch wood, my knees and hips seem ok so far, despite me being in A&E for a day last year when they thought I might have fractured my pelvis. That was another mtb crash, couldn't walk for a fortnight without crutches but nothing broken, woohoo! (the catalogue that day - no ability to put weight on one leg for the fortnight, plus a concussion and 40 minutes missing memory, don't think I was actually unconscious though, sore shoulder couldn't sleep on that side for a couple of weeks, and the thing that lasted longest was that I wrenched one of my thumbs and the ligaments were sore for weeks and weeks after.)

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.96 In reply to 42943.95 
Crikey! How much are your insurance premiums?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.97 In reply to 42943.96 
Insurance? Ha. There is a policy through my job actually but generally the excess makes it pretty pointless for me so far.

I do get an insurance policy when I’m off doing something like an Alp, but (touch wood) never had more than a minor graze when I’m out there. It’s the mild local trails seem to catch me out.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.98 In reply to 42943.95 
I seem to recall (all glue/face related jokes aside) that your shoulder is as well fixed in place as a Pinocchio puppet's and a decent sneeze can dislocate it. Isn't that a bit of a disincentive to biking?

I suppose I can answer that myself because I love walking more than my knees and hips do. Actually, as long as I don't go mad and walk too fast or too far everything stays pretty cool. 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.99 In reply to 42943.98 
The pandemic probably helped to kill my love of walking because that's all there was to do. I managed to explore many nooks and crannies within Durham city with nanowibbly, mind, including places we can't normally get to on foot because of the traffic and I turned many a pokemon go gym gold, in the process. (no such walks with littlewibbly as he was pretty reclusive at the time)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42943.100 In reply to 42943.99 
And he's not so little any more. Taller and much wider than wibbleboy, in fact.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  41–60  61–80  81–100  101–120  121–133

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats