Music, Film, TV & BooksThe Criterion Channel

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I'm probably on a loser here, just like my query about AnyDesk, however ... Being as I quite like movies, and have a thing for older, world and classic movies, I was thinking about subscribing to the Criterion Channel. I thought it was in their terms and conditions that you have to be a US resident to subscribe. Certainly, unless you use a VPN to spoof a US IP address, you are turned away with the message "Sorry. This is currently unavailable in your region" and you are encouraged to leave your email address to "tell the producers" that you want it.

Anyway, a US IP lets me see the login screen and more interestingly things like the t&c and various policies. I read these thoroughly and there's absolutely nothing in them about regional residence. In fact the ONLY prohibitions I can see in any of the docs is for countries where the US has sanctions in place. I noticed, for instance, in the Vimeo stuff (they run the service for Criterion) a warning that if you are setting up an account from outside the US, your info will be processed there.

The only thing that bothers me is the possibility of having $100 taken from my account and then having the service taken away. Anybody know the inside story or can point me to a clause that says it's prohibited?

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42860.2 In reply to 42860.1 
what will you be watching on? It seems a computer is easy enough, but trying to do TV/ipad/etc apps can be a problem as they only put them on the US's 'store' sites.

I haven't done it myself but there seems a few people on Reddit/random sites watching fine on VPNs. Have you tried the free trial yet?
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42860.3 In reply to 42860.2 
Mainly on a PC, but should be able to stream from there to a TV - or take advantage of one of the many recording opportunities.

I think I'll give the free trial a go. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they have a substantial income from users all over the world.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42860.4 In reply to 42860.3 
I get the sense they're less interested in blocking this sort of thing than the likes of Netflix, that's for sure.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42860.5 In reply to 42860.4 
I really want to watch the Marcel Pagnol Marseilles Trilogy, but I'm not blowing £65 plus on the blue rays. I watched a shitty old print of the first film, Marius, on VHS about 30 years ago and I think I've just about waited long enough to see what happens next.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42860.6 In reply to 42860.5 
A curious synopsis:

"Marius and Fanny, two young shopkeepers on the harbor front of Marseille, always seemed destined to marry, but Marius cannot overcome his urge to break free and voyage on the open sea."
Thanks for listening to my TED talk, "Anyone who tells you we have any idea how the fuck computers work is a liar"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42860.7 In reply to 42860.6 
It is, isn't it?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42860.8 In reply to 42860.7 
"But Marius knocked her up and took off."
Thanks for listening to my TED talk, "Anyone who tells you we have any idea how the fuck computers work is a liar"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42860.9 In reply to 42860.8 
Oh Lord. I suppose it has to be said so I'll get it over and done with: "Marius spends the rest of his life looking for Fanny".

There.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–9

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats