HardwareMini PC - NUC

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42842.9 In reply to 42842.8 
I've been doing just that, our place went through a cull on desktop machines and replaced them with laptops so I've been able to liberate 4 SFF HP boxes from the great scrap pile in the sky with i5s and at least 8GB RAM TBH in each. 

Found a nice bonus in one, a spare 1TB HDD.

And dust. So much dust. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42842.10 In reply to 42842.9 
Those old HP boxes never say die! Dirt cheap, tough as nails, and surprisingly powerful considering the first part.
“A Sci-Fi Visionary Thinks Greed Might Save Us”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
42842.11 In reply to 42842.6 
Ended up getting a PN51 direct from Asus 32gb RAM, 1Tb SSD.

Should keep me quiet for a while.

Installed Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate for a giggle, actually runs fine, admittedly not in full fat settings but I can't tell the difference in graphics nor performance against my Xbox Series X, which is nice.

:)

ep
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  paul      
42842.12 In reply to 42842.11 
Looks very nice. I built a tiny PC to dump all my music CDs onto 42301.1 based around an ASRock STX motherboard. I imagine it's about the same size and, in the end, probably cost me almost as much as the much-more-powerful thing you've got. It was fun, and it did have space for the 2 SATA drives I wanted (along with an NVME drive), but I'd probably have been better going for something ready-made.

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42842.13 In reply to 42842.11 
Looks a nice little system, hope it does the trick! Back when I bought my NUC, Ryzen systems were pretty much an impossibility to find unfortunately, still for a torrent machine, it does pretty well.
---

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
42842.14 In reply to 42842.13 
So far - so good (yes)

On the back of this, I'm upscaling my Alienware with a 1Tb SSD in place of it's current 1Tb HDD.

Presumably I can just take out the HDD, insert SSD and then install Windows using the USB thingy that I got from Dell for clean/re-installing/repairing Windows 10?

ep
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42842.15 In reply to 42842.14 
Yep, should work fine. And of course if anything goes wrong, you can always pop the HDD back in temporarily to resurrect the system.
---

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–15

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats