Games (inc Online)Any market for old PC CD-ROMS?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
...or are they destined for landfill?

Doing a bit of a clear-out, and I have realised I've got a shelf-load of PC games from the mid-90s until digital distribution took over. None of them are particularly unusual or sought-after, as far as I'm aware.

Is it even worth giving them to a charity shop, or should I save them the hassle of taking them to the dump by taking them to the dump myself?

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42790.2 In reply to 42790.1 
One day there will be an apocalypse, all connected devices will be fried, and then there will be no net.

That's when you will haul out your mid-90s pc, empty out the mothballs and rat baits, and fire it up in all its 16 MB (!) glory -- and install those precious, cd-rom games you have cunningly hoarded.

:-{)

Don't like a bad tweet? Block the tweet, its author, and every single person who liked it — and every stupid dickhead on the internet who didn't get the joke: FUK-U-ALL the app (ad-supported).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42790.3 In reply to 42790.1 
Landfill I think. I used to keep quite a few of my favourite old games like that, but these days it is often easier to pay a couple of quid to GOG.com and get a tweaked version that runs on a modern OS. I doubt charity shops would have any use for them unless someone knows differently?
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42790.4 In reply to 42790.1 
I suppose if some of them are rare classic games in pristine boxes with all the all the collectors' gubbins intact they might fetch a few quid on ebay.

But yeah, what Dave said about GOG. I tried to get some old DOS/W95 Zork games to work but they were unplayable until I gave in and spent the extortionate £1.99 (or whatever. They're £4 something now) they wanted.

My son had dozens of games, maybe a hundred or more, but he solved the keep/resell question, by immediately taking them out of their cases and storing them in a pile on the floor so that now they have no resale value and only about one in ten can even be read by a DVD drive.

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–4

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats