Hardwarewhat VR headset?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
That's it really. I'm a sucker for what small amounts of VR I've experienced, but were I to invest my folding spending stuff, what should I buy? 

Gaming: more Myst than Deathsmiles or Call of Duty (any). Also, can't be arsed to fight zombies, but willing to try if necessary. I like being in dramatic places, and if that means I really have to shoot people/things then, well, I'd rather not but...

I like clarity. Yeah, Google Cardboard was super fun a while back, but yes, I will get hacked off with something low res. Quite soon.

TBH it's the experience first, the gaming second (soz) unless it's old-school adventure. I would TOTALLY TOTALLY love to play Zork Grand Inquisitor in 4K with a VR headset. (and I know it will never happen).

Help. Budget undecided - so ignore. 

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42785.2 In reply to 42785.1 
I've always gone as high-end as I can possibly afford. I bought a second-hand Index, but haven't yet upgrade the Vive controllers.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42785.3 In reply to 42785.1 
I think the Quest 2 is the most versatile and best bang-per-buck out there, albeit you have to submit to using your Facebook account with it. And some say you have to buy the rather pricey strap upgrade to make it comfy, others disagree. But then you have standalone functionality plus wired or wireless PC link to play Steam games or whatever, it's pretty cool. I've got the Quest 1 which is the same but OLED (yay better blacks) but lower res (boo blurry stuff) and it's good. 

For me, the jump to a Vive - needing tracking base stations in the room and all that biz - lots of money, seems too much. And there's the Reverb G2 which also seems nice but a bit clunkier in support and whatnot, I don't know loads except it's got amazing screen spec.
There's talk of a Quest Pro coming out 'sometime' but no dates.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42785.4 In reply to 42785.3 
I was interested by the Quest 2, not least because of it being available for just > £260 new some places.

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42785.5 In reply to 42785.4 
Honestly unless the Facebook thing is enough to put you off (which would be fair enough) it's hard to justify anything else as a starting point now, I reckon. Not sure what the price of getting started in Vive is but somewhere around double that or more I think?
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–5

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2021 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats