Project Beehive ForumDon't Shoot the Messenger!

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
"BeeHive software could be 1 Windows update away from extinction."

"as most know, the BeeHive software is not supported any longer"

Not my words; I'm a longtime fan and user of Beehive software.

They're comments made by somebody in a group which is moving from Beehive to a platform called Next Wave Connect.

What are your thoughts?

Any validity to the two statements?

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri
DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Stunt Engraver (DGL)     
42714.2 In reply to 42714.1 
Quote: 
"BeeHive software could be 1 Windows update away from extinction."

I can't speak for the people who maintain the Beehive code, but I don't think that Windows updates specifically will affect it, what with it not being based on the Microsoft tech stack.

But, changing the question slightly - what happens if *something* - a PHP update, or an HTML standards change, Opera becoming the world's most popular browser, whatever, means that something stops working? I mean, Beehive still uses frames, FFS! Well, I'd hope that someone would take a look at the source code, and make the necessary changes. However, that leads quite nicely onto the next question...

Quote: 
"as most know, the BeeHive software is not supported any longer"

Again, I can't speak for the various people who maintain the code, and have done since 2002(!), but in those 18 years, a lot has changed. The group of enthusiastic amateurs coders from 2002 are pretty much all grizzled IT veterans now, and I imagine they've got more pressing things to worry about. Bear in mind the last point release was 2016, and I don't think there's an active roadmap for new features or anything like that.

Also, since 2002, the nature of the internet has changed. Things have solidified and codified. There are a smaller number of platforms, and the mechanisms for monetising are (slightly) clearer and have made those who own those platforms (significantly) richer. What's the point of creating your own thing, when Amazon or Google or Facebook or Twitter or Reddit or Wordpress or PHPBB or whoever else (Microsoft?) offers the tools to do whatever it is you want to do?

I like to think that if any breaking changes and Beehive stops running, someone will figure out a fix - I'm just now sure who that would be. Maybe Matt'll get his hands dirty again. Maybe BoughtonP will convert it to ColdFusion. That said, it's open source software, so if there's interest in doing something, there are ways and means.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42714.3 In reply to 42714.2 
> Maybe BoughtonP will convert it to ColdFusion.

Nope. If I ported it to anything, it'd be Python.

I do still have plans for website integration that involve a Beehive REST API (and/or maybe XMPP), but other things need to happen before getting to that stage.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Stunt Engraver (DGL)     
42714.4 In reply to 42714.1 
> Any validity to the two statements?

This is Beehive Forum. They're referring to something called "BeeHive software".

Perhaps they are talking about this: https://www.pc-control.co.uk/beehive.htm

If not, they're making uninformed excuses to justify their actions.

Beehive Forum is written in PHP and does not depend on Microsoft's actions.
It would be difficult for changes to Windows to affect it, and easy to avoid any such changes.

As for support, Matt is still committing fixes and updates in response to issues - one of which was just last month.
He has said he doesn't intend to do formal releases going forward, but I haven't seen him say he's stepping down.

Even if he does, I'm hoping to be doing freelance next year, and using it for my own stuff, so if people need Beehive Forum support I'd be willing to provide it.
(Anything non-trivial I would need to charge for, because food costs money and my body doesn't like when I don't give it food.)

In short: There's no reason to worry.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42714.5 In reply to 42714.4 
Does your body prefer pizza? If so, what toppings?
+2/2
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42714.6 In reply to 42714.5 
Yes, quite often. Pizza toppings.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42714.7 In reply to 42714.2 
Thank you, Kenny.

I'm no IT guy, but I couldn't imagine Windows updates affecting the software.

DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42714.8 In reply to 42714.4 
Pretty sure they're talking about the software.

It's not that their group has edgy content, but I've seen some Wordpress sites taken down, because the powers that be didn't like the messages being posted.

The platform they've moved to states pretty much the same thing, in their Terms of Service.

I would never give an entity the control to take my site down.

Thank you for your input.

DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42714.9 In reply to 42714.3 
I thought XAMPP was for local web dev, not production? Haven't used it in many years though.
“Rats besiege New York Chipotle, eating avocados and attacking staff”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42714.10 In reply to 42714.9 
It is. There was a stray A. :'(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–10

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2021 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats