Hardware1 or 2 Bay NAS-medo

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42688.34 In reply to 42688.33 
Chanced it. Like the fool I am.
Confident I'll be able to at least return it to the state I got it in though. Maybe. We'll see. Already created a dispute on aliexpress since it wasn't functioning right at the start.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Currently trying to get a refund for the device and using it as a USB drive with a RPi 2 as the USB bit seems to run separately from the network side of things.

I've unsurprisingly come to the conclusion that it isn't the 90s and I can't cope with 100mbit transfer speeds.

I think a RPi 4 instead will be what I end up going for. Gigabit network and USB 3. May as well just order one now.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Pi4 arrived. Swapped the microSD from the Pi2 to the Pi4 and it booted perfectly first time.
Gigabit and USB3 speeds. Much better.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
42688.37 In reply to 42688.36 
Good stuff. Any news on getting the brick refunded?
“Miss Vickie’s Canada is recalling select Kettle Cooked Potato Chips due to the possible presence of pieces of glass”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42688.38 In reply to 42688.37 
Got a partial refund. Appealed it. Not heard anything back otherwise.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

A little mini NAS update because why not.

Running nicely. Wrote a simple little script to rsync over ssh and copy data back to my home server each night. Starts at 00:30 and runs for 8 hours using the "time limit" parameter on rsync. Had a couple of nights where it has stopped early when there's data left to copy, but I think that's probably the connection dropping out and it not continuing. Does the rest the next night so it's not a disaster.

One thing about the "time limit" option is that it needs to be supported at both ends. I wasn't aware that rsync needed rsync at both ends, hadn't really thought about how it worked tbh. So initially the rsync version on my home server was too old and didn't have the new time limit feature. Had to compile from source, but then that worked fine.

Can probably copy around 19GB in that period.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
42688.40 In reply to 42688.39 
> Gigabit and USB3 speeds. Much better.
+
> Can probably copy around 19GB in that period.

Huh? 19GB in 8 hours doesn't sound remotely close to 100mbps, nevermind gigabit.

(19*8192) / (8*3600) = 5.4 mbps

That's half of USB 1.1 speed...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42688.41 In reply to 42688.40 
Copy 19GB of data in 8 hours across the Internet to my home server. This RPi4 setup lives at my girlfriends where I'm spending most of my time at the moment.

Get around 0.7MB/s upload speeds.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–40  41

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats