Idle Chit ChatScreen Scrape

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
A modern screen copying program, HEVC compression, GPU encoding. These have changed my mind about the 1) usefulness of recording streamed video 2) what size a movie file should be to achieve decent quality.

I always thought 1) was a total waste of time producing way below-SD quality results and 2) a movie of say 1.5 to 2 hours should be around 2 - 3 GB to be watchable (1.5 GB at a pinch). My gob has been well and truly smacked by a 1.5 hour movie recorded straight off a popular streaming service and weighing 770 MB.

No, not 4K Blu-Ray quality, but a genuine surprise.

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42661.2 In reply to 42661.1 
HEVC does wonders for file size at a respectable quality. I used to aim for 10GB for a 1080p H264 film, now fine with 2-3GB. Doubt I can really tell the difference. Neither my eyes or TV are good enough.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42661.3 In reply to 42661.2 
Exactly. 

Doing a TV series from Blu Ray recently. I did season 1 in H.264 as usual and was pleased to see 45 minute episodes coming out at around 5 GB. Then I did season 2 with H.265 (at a higher bit rate) and they went down to around 2 GB, and appeared to be identical or better. So I redid season 1.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42661.4 In reply to 42661.2 
Had a moment of doubt just now when I saw what Amazon's "the Vast of Night" looked like: all washed out with grain and blocky distortion in the greys and blacks. Not that the black was especially black. Then I had a squint at the 4K stream on my telly and it's pretty nearly as bad. Whether that's as intended, for the authentic vintage atmosphere, or Amazon's dreadful HDR implementation, or both, I have no idea.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42661.5 In reply to 42661.3 
I've been sticking with H264 for now - primarily because my Raspberry PI doesn't support hardware decoding of H265, so framerate is poor for those. At some point I'll upgrade the PI as the latest ones do support H265 decoding in hardware.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
42661.6 In reply to 42661.5 
I didn't know the latest Pi did H265. That's quite impressive. Bet it runs hot. My laptop has an 8th gen i5 and seems to support H265 recording. I tried a section from "Life on earth" which was very impressive until it got busy with a flock of birds taking off. Then it was terrible: all blurred with blocky artefacts. I imagine it would do better transcoding a video where it isn't working on the fly.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–6

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats