GeneralHorticulture

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I was bought a Bonsai tree last year and it's sparked a bit of an interest in me for green and brown living things. 

I've never really even looked at trees or plants before, they've always just been part of the background - but now that I've discovered them, I'm pretty hooked.

I've realised that I don't really care about growing flowers or food, and I don't like things that are already grown. My fascination seems to be with growing plants and trees from seed or from cuttings.

I definitely don't have natural abilities. The vast majority of my seedlings have fallen over and died - but I've had a few successes. I seem to enjoy growing things that I probably shouldn't be attempting, like my Baobab trees.

I'm also experimenting with (hydro|aero|fog)ponics, but it's still early days with that.

Anyone else here green fingered?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mikee     
42623.2 In reply to 42623.1 
I grew pot once when I was a teenager. It ended up drying in the rafters of our garage while a local cop stood almost directly underneath, and asked my dad if he had noticed a break-in taking place at the neighbours house the previous evening.

MrsD. has had mixed success with house plants...plants that don't need much watering tend to thrive.
“If you want your resume to stand out, you need accomplishments.”

“Various unpleasant jobs using programming languages I didn't like. Fixed a few things and moved some trivial features forward slightly. Quit in a huff. Hire me!”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42623.3 In reply to 42623.1 
I am no good at all at it, and don't really try. Just doesn't maintain my interest. I do like to see a good bonsai though. 

Our current garden is in fact a yard, and I do have designs on doing something about that, so hopefully by the end of this summer I'll have magically learned how to do some of the basics and want to keep my kid off my immaculate lawn and so on.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42623.4 In reply to 42623.1 
I have a recollection of you growing something back in the days of NPCFF.

I mourn the decline of epic signatures
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mr (M00RL0CK)     
42623.5 In reply to 42623.4 
Mikee exchanging tablets with a disreputable forumite back in the day

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42623.6 In reply to 42623.5 
I'm guessing that ain't aspirin.
“Designers prepare cardboard hospital beds that double as coffins”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42623.7 In reply to 42623.5 
Wait - that's Mikey, not Mikee. Mikey was a punk, Mikee a goth. I'm sure of it. 

I mourn the decline of epic signatures
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42623.8 In reply to 42623.7 
You're right. The Whatsapp posse corrected me in no uncertain terms last night. I haev teh olds.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42623.9 In reply to 42623.6 
I actually don't think it was anything remiss - think it was just a mint. Quite why we were passing it in that fashion, I can't remember. We probably started coronavirus.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 42623.10 deleted 1 Jun 2020 12:37 by WILLIAMA

To:  ALL
Deleted as it was boring
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42623.12 In reply to 42623.9 
Interesting. When did the pangolins get involved?
“Designers prepare cardboard hospital beds that double as coffins”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42623.13 In reply to 42623.12 
I'd rather not say.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42623.14 In reply to 42623.4 
Back in those days, my sister had gone off to university so I covered her bedroom in foil, bought huge halogen lamps, and grew some of the finest crop that my friends and I had sampled in our recent trip to Amsterdam.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to replicate the quality.

I have absolutely no idea why my mum allowed me to do that.

These days it's less Purple Haze and more Crape Myrtle.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42623.15 In reply to 42623.1 
I'm trying to be green fingered. But up until recently, had zero interest.

When we got our house we really liked that the back garden had no lawn, was mostly 2 levels of decking with a decent sized driveway and had a scant flowerbed running up one side.

It's got to the point where it's embarrassing having the neighbour's gardens each side of us done out, so we're making an effort this summer to get stuff sorted.

A wall's being built along the edge and across the top of an open driveway (blue line in the picture), we've got a load of railway sleepers on order and I'm gonna build six 8'x4' raised planters for green stuff.

I've been looking into how you're supposed to line, fill and maintain these things. This guide seems pretty comprehensive, so gonna follow it and see how it goes. It'll probably be next year before we get anything grown, but I'm hoping for a decent vegetable crop - potatoes, courgette, beans, cabbage that sort of thing.

Got a shed going in at some point too on the flat concrete bit in the middle. I'm essentially using this project as an excuse to use moar power tools. Gonna need a mitre saw for the sleepers, a hefty drill for making the stays in the concrete and something to fill the shed. :C

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–15

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats