GeneralWhat are we all doing for a living?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
42608.87 In reply to 42608.84 
I've said this a few times over the years and I don't think people believe me, but WFH isn't all that for all people.

I did a year of primary WFH back in 2016 and really didn't get on with it. I did it again last year, but with a proper office (Proper desk, multi monitors etc) and it was better but by the end I realised that I'm just more suited to being with people. Ironically, I was actually looking forward to getting a new contract which would likely be office based - then COVID happened.

The option of WFH is great, not driving 90 minutes or something is great but I need the balance. You can do lots of things to improve WFH and for some/many people it might be enough.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
42608.88 In reply to 42608.87 
I agree Dan. We're all very open and mutually supportive at my workplace and two of my colleagues are acknowledging real mental health issues with WFH. Both are, by nature, very gregarious, which I'm sure plays a part in their cases.

Suits me down to the ground, mind - one of my colleagues called me 'the Bear Grylls of isolation' because I'm temperamentally really comfortable with it. Which probably means I'm an antisocial bastard with lots of strategies for wasting time.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
42608.89 In reply to 42608.87 
For me daily video calls with my team are essential. My boss has returned to the office today, but won't be full time. I think he felt like he needed to show his face as a senior manager, rather than actually needing to be on site, possibly a bit of pressure from above.

Similar to what Throb has said, he's a very outgoing and social person and has been struggling with the remote working to some extent.

I think for me now with there being no formal return date it feels never ending to some extent, that I'm probably struggling with a bit. As the days go on I feel like I want to be in the office maybe a couple of days a week.

Also, since I've moved my lockdown location I've only spent one night at home every 2 weeks for the past 2 months. I think that's getting to me a bit. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42608.90 In reply to 42608.88 
“Rarely is the question asked, is our students learning?”
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS      Manthorp     
42608.91 In reply to 42608.89 
quote: Manthorp
I agree Dan. We're all very open and mutually supportive at my workplace and two of my colleagues are acknowledging real mental health issues with WFH. Both are, by nature, very gregarious, which I'm sure plays a part in their cases.

Suits me down to the ground, mind - one of my colleagues called me 'the Bear Grylls of isolation' because I'm temperamentally really comfortable with it. Which probably means I'm an antisocial bastard with lots of strategies for wasting time.
Yep, that figures. I'm reasonably happy in my own space but I've been consulting for near enough 10 years now (WTF?) and I've really come to enjoy the face to face side. I'm not particularly extroverted I don't think, but I do genuinely enjoy going places, meeting people, lunches, dinners etc. I find it's great for building relationships but also just good fun.

quote: ANT_THOMAS
For me daily video calls with my team are essential. My boss has returned to the office today, but won't be full time. I think he felt like he needed to show his face as a senior manager, rather than actually needing to be on site, possibly a bit of pressure from above.

Similar to what Throb has said, he's a very outgoing and social person and has been struggling with the remote working to some extent.

I think for me now with there being no formal return date it feels never ending to some extent, that I'm probably struggling with a bit. As the days go on I feel like I want to be in the office maybe a couple of days a week.

Also, since I've moved my lockdown location I've only spent one night at home every 2 weeks for the past 2 months. I think that's getting to me a bit. 

Yeah, it's all just dragging a LOT now. It certainly doesn't help that a lot of the niceness of WFH isn't here, either. Before lock down my kid had just started school and the wife and I had started doing some nice lunches and stuff which was working for me!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Unlikely I'll be back in the office till schools go back in August. Have sort of offered to go in for a few half days for some training and whatnot, but the pressure is really on us from higher up to get everyone back in the office and making money. They seem to have missed the bit where the rest of our industry is on its arse and also mostly working from home, so whether we're there or not there's not much to be done.

I'm quite a bit sick of lock down - i had a proper breakdown* when they confirmed schools here are shut till August - but I'm also really nervous/anxious about going back in to the office. 

*drank all the booze and spent the thick end of a grand on a drone to play with >.< On the plus side the drone has really made me get off my arse and get out and about more, been out on a few big walks with it that I otherwise wouldn't have, both with family and on my own. Climbing up a hill at sunset on your own is very mind clearing.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
42608.93 In reply to 42608.92 
Post some footage. I find drones fascinating but also scary as a creative tool, kind of like cgi - overpowering and dehumanizing (because of the alien perspective).*

*IOW, never played with one.
“260,000 sign petition to block film starring Paris Jackson as Jesus”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42608.94 In reply to 42608.93 
This was first 'proper' flight somewhere nice. 

No idea what I'm doing when it comes to flying, filming, editing or colour grading yet. As you can tell  :-O~~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYirm0HHWK0

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42608.95 In reply to 42608.94 
That is fucking ace! Well done. (I only watched the first 40-seconds because work, will come back to)
“260,000 sign petition to block film starring Paris Jackson as Jesus”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42608.96 In reply to 42608.94 
Nice. When are you going to film something that's not in your back garden? :J
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42608.97 In reply to 42608.96 
Soon, hopefully. We're allowed to travel more than 5 miles as of today. We're off up to the highlands for a week in the middle of nowhere on the 15th, so weather permitting I'm hoping to see some nice things with the drone.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

We are doing nothing for the society but creating mess due to tinu personal issues or for increaing our personal wealth. Society could have been much better we have not seen such ugly, cruel and miser kind of people. We all should remain humble for the sake of our future. In this insecure world i would always care about my security even more for living a good secure life and therefore i always use antivirus. I would recommend avg or avast as they are not only enriched with many great security features but they are also cheap compare to many big names.

APPROVED: 27 Jul 2020 22:37 by MILKO

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Metteo (METTEOMERCATALE)     
42608.99 In reply to 42608.98 
That's your living? 

How are you drawing a salary from that?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42608.100 In reply to 42608.99 
Somebody's gotta do it.
“Florida is a study in abnormal psychology, useful in signaling the … hidden derangements of the national mood.” – Fortune magazine, 1948
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

It’s an odd one, that’s for sure. 
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Quote: 
...ugly, cruel and miser kind of people

S/he's definitely got the measure of us.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42608.103 In reply to 42608.102 
I ain't no miser.
“Florida is a study in abnormal psychology, useful in signaling the … hidden derangements of the national mood.” – Fortune magazine, 1948
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42608.104 In reply to 42608.101 
Do people still use AVG or Avast?

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42608.105 In reply to 42608.104 
:C
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42608.106 In reply to 42608.104 
Only on Windows...
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  41–60  61–80  81–100  101–120  …  181–183

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats