Music, Film, TV & BooksTales from the loop

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Anyone watching this new Amazon thing? Undecided as yet. Think 'a Town like Eureka' with none of the cheesiness and the melancholy button twisted up as far as it goes, and a bit further. Curious.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42604.2 In reply to 42604.1 
Yeah, about 5 episodes in now. Tina’s starting to get fed up of it, I’m still not sure. I like the slow pace, I like the music, I like the bringing to life of Stalenhag’s paintings which is generally done very well, compositing and period detail and all that. On the other hand the actual tales are a bit mundane. Teenagers ineptly fail to articulate emotions while a magic thermos makes some weird timey wimey thing happen. People keep finding mysterious objects and giving them a go rather than maybe getting someone to check ‘em out first.  Etc. I’m told the last couple of episodes pick up and it would be nice if something actually happens!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42604.3 In reply to 42604.2 
That pretty much mirrors our household. We've watched 6 now and I'm kind of liking the feel of the episodes, but Dominique not so much. In particular she finds the music annoying - which is a drawback since it's just about there all the time. Perhaps we should be able to skin these box-sets with variations on lighting and music. It does feel as though there's a few stories running through the series, like the boy in a robot and the odd circular time happenings. I suppose the main story which I have a feeling won't even be touched on other than some vague statements about making impossible things happen, is what the scientists are actually supposed to be playing at.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.4 In reply to 42604.3 
Yeah they’ve left this ominous main story in the background and we just get the somewhat interconnected characters so far. I don’t suppose anybody’s actually written the big stuff, they can save that job for if they get commissioned for lots more. 
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.5 In reply to 42604.4 
Sounds like they've got all the groundwork for season 2 done, or, things from the flood, as all the knowledgeable commentators are suggesting. Probably the kiss of death. 

if you get into it after episode 5, you can always buy the NOT A VIDEO GAME RPG game here.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.6 In reply to 42604.5 
Alright I've done 'em all now. The penultimate one was a weird switch in tone! 

I dunno what to make of it still, really. Like, what was that 'getting bit' all about (keeping it vague for spoilers)? It's nice that they can still make TV that isn't about neatly wrapping everything up or proceeding at breakneck pace the whole time, but on the other hand I don't know what I've particularly got out of watching this.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.7 In reply to 42604.6 
Yeah, and you'd think some fucker would be decent enough to stick up a sign saying don't cross this river if it's unfrozen. But then, if the good kind people who ran 'the loop' were actually good and kind they probably wouldn't have left such astonishingly dangerous junk lying around in the open to ruin their kids' lives.

Afraid that was just a shade too vague for me as I don't recall the 'getting bit' bit.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.8 In reply to 42604.6 
Oh unless you mean the snake bite thing - which was how he lost his arm and ended up with a robotic prosthesis (which was itself a kind of 'what goes around comes around' thing after their cruelty to another snake earlier) which I suppose was some kind of parallel to the robot 'monster' losing an arm - or something. But, frankly, your guess is as good as mine.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.9 In reply to 42604.8 
Yeah that's the bit. For some reason the spoiler button doesn't work for me. But, what kind of animal just randomly does that and then fucks off. Weird.

The end with the teacher also made me giggle a bit. Like, haha this poor traumatised child, let's just blow his mind a bit more, why not?
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.10 In reply to 42604.9 
I'd forgotten most of the last two episodes, then when I read your earlier post I went and watched them both again. I'm not sure why they did it that way because there are so many alternatives. It would have been easy to have the young George Willard splash around in the water where he would have been much more likely to get bitten, but they chose to have this snake actually leap at him for no reason and then rush off. Watching it the second time, I had the daft idea that it was supposed to be the snake the boys found under the stone and zapped.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.11 In reply to 42604.10 
Anyhoo... talking of one-off series with high production values and seriously quirky themes, has anybody seen the new Neill Blomkamp series on Netflix? 

"Oats Studios" a series of short experimental films produced betweem 2017 and 2020 (so not that new). Some more successful/engrossing than others. Various lengths between a couple of minutes and (almost) a full episode. Must have cost a bit with the likes of Sigourney Weaver and Dakota Fanning etc.

I liked it in parts. Would watch the opening "episode" if it was developed into a film or series (unless they replaced Sigourney W).

Overall good fun, but not quite a full meal and not balanced enough for Tapas.

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42604.12 In reply to 42604.11 
This sounds interesting. We recently re-watched NB's Chappie, which might be -- wrongly -- considered a lightweight version of District 9 (I would have to rewatch that to be sure, but my feeling is Chappie is the better film). Either way, Blomkamp definitely has some awesome sauce up his sleeve.
"Man admits freezing leg of alleged ‘eunuch maker’ who was accused of broadcasting live castrations"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42604.13 In reply to 42604.12 
It was certainly interesting, and most of it was entertaining. It felt a bit like somebody imagining scenes and sections of larger projects and working these imaginings all the way up to finished chunks. In fact, that's likely to be what happened. I thought parts were very successful, others not so much. Some was very original; some was not. 

The opening section dropped us into a post apocalyptic world with an extract from his short film Rakka, which is itself a "part" project. 

The various bits have been produced by Oats Studios, which is Blomkamp's experimental studio. The basic idea (apparently) is to produce snippets for release of YouTube, Steam etc. to see if there's an appetite for the full production. 

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–13

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats