HardwareLockdown fiddling

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42603.61 In reply to 42603.59 
Have you had a look at Glimpse? (GIMP fork)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42603.62 In reply to 42603.61 
Never heard of it.

“a man gets struck by lightning and goes “zzzt”, Jason gets shot and dies and the submarine blows up.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42603.63 In reply to 42603.62 
Re-branded GIMP with bugs added, not worth wasting time on.

</TWR>

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42603.64 In reply to 42603.63 
That was my take.
“a man gets struck by lightning and goes “zzzt”, Jason gets shot and dies and the submarine blows up.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.65 In reply to 42603.63 
Think there's any future in it? Seemed like a good attempt to make it more user friendly and get away from the neckbeard weirdos who insist on it being called GIMP.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.66 In reply to 42603.65 
> get away from the neckbeard weirdos who insist on it being called GIMP.

And into the embrace of the blustering snowflakes who want everyone swathed in bubblewrap? ¬_¬

Name calling is unconstructive, and rarely the best way to build collaboration.

As it stands, I doubt the future of a four person project that wants to both extend a complex application and rewrite it from scratch at the same time, and who say they want a better UI, but almost a year in and... well, what they've presented would likely get a U grade at school.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.67 In reply to 42603.66 
Or in the pursuit of more widespread adoption, and then hopefully more contribution as a result, you'd look to change the name wouldn't you?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.68 In reply to 42603.65 
I like WIMP: Wussy Inconsequential Meaningless Pout

Seriously though, it's like all those reskinned and renamed 'buntu's masquerading as independent DEs (looking at you MINT).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.69 In reply to 42603.67 
The barriers to GIMP adoption are far deeper than the name, as proven by the popularity of Seashore and GimPhoto.

Were I involved with the project, I'd consider a rebrand at the next major release for the sole reason of it being a shit name, and only if the new name was good enough to justify the change and was ready to be accompanied by significant already realised improvements.

I would not fork the code, give it an even shitter name, and waste time replacing all references to a project that isn't going away.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.70 In reply to 42603.57 
There. Not the neatest bit of work I've ever done. The step drill tore the tin so I had to use a Dremel to cut a flap out for the cables (haven't fitted a trim on the edges yet). Not sure how I'm going to cut ventilation holes in the lid either.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead

Attachments:

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)      
42603.71 In reply to 42603.70 
Neat!

I'm curious about those hard drive caddies?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.72 In reply to 42603.71 
I found these a while back. They're brilliant -  and dirt cheap on eBay. I bought a load for 99p each. The drive just snaps into the plastic adaptor and then they're 3.5" bay sized. I used them here because they provide a bit of space for air flow and can be stuck together with sticky foam fixers. Here's a link on eBay, but I think you can get them on Amazon (for a bit more £) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143478268428
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.73 In reply to 42603.72 
Ahh, I thought they were 3.5" for some reason. Very useful though.

I think I 3D printed a 2 x 2.5" to 3.5" caddy a while ago when I couldn't be bothered waiting for shipping and wanted to fit some SSDs RIGHT NOW.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.74 In reply to 42603.72 
One thing on the Pi4 NAS setup: don't be a knob like me and format the NAS drives as NTFS. Raspbian has enough clevers to let it work just fine and is too polite to mention anything, but you will lose two thirds of your network speed and it will be generally much, much, slower, so that backups, big copy-jobs etc. take forever.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.75 In reply to 42603.74 
exFAT or ext4?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42603.76 In reply to 42603.75 
Well, right now I'm changing them to ext4. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–76

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats