Music, Film, TV & BooksMovie recommendations

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I have realised over this period of solitary confinement that my favourite niche genre for mindless viewing pleasure is action horror.

Can anyone recommend any half-decent ones that I might not have seen?

And by means hijack this thread with your own requests for recommendations to accommodate your own peculiar tastes. Get your nuns dusted for Rendle.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42596.2 In reply to 42596.1 
We just watched Wicker Tree, some cleverness, much bafflement. Moderately entertaining. A cut above abject trash.

“a man gets struck by lightning and goes “zzzt”, Jason gets shot and dies and the submarine blows up.”
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42596.3 In reply to 42596.2 
Thanks Smiffy, I'll give it a go.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42596.4 In reply to 42596.3 
There's a "Wicker Man" tie-in (think of it as a mildly-retarded cousin), complete with a burning wicker thing that sort of resembles a badly misshapen nude couple, featured briefly at the very end (not mentioned before that, so meant to be a complete surprise, I think, except TITLE), and a Christopher Lee cameo, 99% of which is included in the trailer.
“a man gets struck by lightning and goes “zzzt”, Jason gets shot and dies and the submarine blows up.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42596.5 In reply to 42596.4 
Don't oversell it now.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42596.6 In reply to 42596.5 
It's got a pretty cool basic plot with religious nuttery (pagan and fundamentalist), spectacular sinning, cultural dissonances (Scots vs. Yanqui, cowboy vs. foxhunt).

Well worth it for that stuff alone.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42596.7 In reply to 42596.1 
Have you seen Apostle? Gareth "The Raid" Evans goes folk horror, ramps up the tension and then gets torture-y/gory, to the point that my good lady couldn't watch the end of it.

Or, slightly more action-packed and tosh-but-enjoyable - Happy Death Day (and Happy Death Day 2U which is that rare beast, a half-decent sequel)?

Or tosh and I can't remember if I enjoyed it or not - Satanic Panic? Or The Babysitter, which is in a similar vein?

Or Scottish zombie high school musical Anna and the Apocalypse?

Grim Scottish hunting-trip-goes-wrong drama Calibre?

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42596.8 In reply to 42596.7 
Cheers WingNut. I did Apostle & I liked it. Liked HDD but haven't yet caught up with the sequel. Enjoyed Babysitter & Anna too, Anna enough to watch three times, which is rare for me and about 0.3 times more than it warranted (did you catch up with Better Watch out?).

I will hunt down Satanic Panic & Calibre with extreme prejudice.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42596.9 In reply to 42596.1 
World War Z isn't terrible to be fair to it. It's just not *good* and could have been.

It's more frustrating that it's not better than particularly bad.

Probably worth a watch if you're after that particular kinda thing and going in with low expectations will help.

Tangentially related: I enjoy Best of the Worst quite a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6TY-nBkxqY&list=PLzcqBM3nee_yh15M3pe76a_Bm3AjCqnkZ

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
42596.10 In reply to 42596.9 
Looks good. I'll give it a go, ta.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–10

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats