HardwareNew PC-me-do

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)      
42538.56 In reply to 42538.55 
Absolutely no reason not to. I've currently got an X99 (Intel HEDT, "high end desktop") system with an i7-6800K (6 core, blah blah), and while it's absolutely fine for everything I do, I know that its value will only go down... So last night I caved and ordered a Ryzen 3600 (non X) and an MSI Tomahawk Max, and I'll sell the current bits soon while they still have some decent value. I expect no genuinely visible preformance gains, but it should run cooler and allow me to swap for an 8+ core CPU on the same motherboard in 2-3 years for not much, whereas X99 has been a dead platform for a while.

In terms of which Ryzen CPU, as long as you go for a Zen 2 chip (confusingly, the Ryzen 3xxx CPUs) with at least 6 physical cores, there isn't much difference for most users. The 3600 is the sweet spot, as you go up the range you gain barely a few percent in games or "normal use", BUT you do gain in direct proportion if you run tasks that parallelise well - encoding, compression, maybe compiling, etc. Are the extra cores and parallel preformance worth it? That's a question only you can answer!

The 3600X and the 3600 offer, for most intents and proposes, the same performance. The 95W vs 65W TDP ratings are hugely misleading - they can both easily end up drawing closer to 100W. What Ryzen essentially does is, working with the motherboard, try to clock up one or more cores (depending on the nature of the load) as much as it can until it hits thermal or power limits.

This explains it all far better than I could:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

Basically:
- get a Ryzen 3xxx with as many cores as you think you need / can afford, depending on your kind of workload
- get a good cooler (hooooje air, or decent water AIO)
- pick a motherboard that has a decent power delivery system (the B450 is perfectly decent, unless you want/need the extra features from one of the better chipsets); if you're going for a 3900X or 3950X you might as well get the top X570 chipset though. Yeah, lol, the prices...
- get decent RAM; Ryzen loves fast RAM, 3600MHz is a great point, some modules easily overclock to that too, a cheaper option (like the ones I linked to)

That's it, really. The RX5700 is a pretty darn good choice for a GPU. The Sapphire Pulse and Powecolor Red Devil are, AFAIK, pretty much the best choices in terms of quality, cooling, etc.

Something like this, plus case, PSU, cooler and whatever else you need:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cM9Lwh
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
42538.57 In reply to 42538.56 
Quote: 
95W vs 65W TDP ratings are hugely misleading

Do you know if this is true 'across the board', or just for those two particular cpus? I go for the lower TDP models because they're easier to keep cool with minimal fannage, and less power usage is good.

“Finally, my home state is known for something besides racism and old people!”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42538.58 In reply to 42538.57 
I think they best thing I can say is "it depends". A lower TDP chip is definitely designed and binned to draw less power to reach whatever speed it's rated at, but if you give it enough cooling and the motherboard can supply enough current, it'll draw more and clock itself higher, up to a limit. As the lower chips have fewer enabled cores and lower max clock limits, it follows that they'll draw less power and keep cooler.

I don't think any of them will actually exceed their rated maximum clock (unless you fiddle with the overclocking settings), but better cooling and power delivery should mean they can get more cores higher for longer.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
42538.59 In reply to 42538.41 
Still rocking the dial up?

Hi, btw. Welsh cake?

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.60 In reply to 42538.54 
That link is broken.

Isn't 3600 the sweet spot for Zen 2?

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.61 In reply to 42538.56 
Woo, haha, you're getting a 3600 :D It was your fault I got mine.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
42538.62 In reply to 42538.59 
Hello!

Is Welsh cake real? I bet it's great.

And I got broadband :|
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.63 In reply to 42538.62 
So real. And Welsh.

Don't you miss the noise of of a dialup modem?

Me

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
42538.64 In reply to 42538.63 
They do look great. Welsh things are always great.

I miss the noise of dialup and also the noise of degaussing a monitor.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.65 In reply to 42538.64 
"Boyoyoyoyoiinnggg"
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.66 In reply to 42538.64 
Totally forgot about that. Very satisfying.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.67 In reply to 42538.64 
They are good! Gotta love a Welsh cake.

Oh man, degaussing a monitor. I miss doing that :'(

Me
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I have a new PC!

List of things in it is here:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NgVrRk

It went together quite easily - main problem I had was that I put the CPU cooler on the motherboard before mounting the mobo in the case, which meant it was a tight squeeze to plug in the power cable for the cpu.

Other than that, and some fun trying to set up a new install of Windows to my liking, it all seems to be good. It laughs at Just Cause 3, which my previous rig was weeping about, so I've mostly been explodeding things today.

Kenny

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.69 In reply to 42538.68 
Nice. That gpu is badass. In the spirit of things I went to order another 16GB ram stick, thinking I could dual channel it, but it seems to be same product name, slightly different part number (HX424C15FB3/16, vs. HX424C15FB/16 bought two years ago) with almost all the same specs, at least the ones that count, and different appearance (heat spreader and, I guess, pcb), and @ half the cost. Fingers crossed they will work together, slated to arrive Weds. I've got my eye on a Ryzen 5 1600 part, allegedly a rebadged 2600, and supposed to be good value.
“List words containing gthegu - More Words”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.70 In reply to 42538.68 
Very nice too. Did you carry forward the T Rex from your previous PC?

Edit: that should be, T Rex with ambitious Koala combo.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42538.71 In reply to 42538.70 
The T-Rex has been perched atop several past PCs - I won it in a Godzilla roaring competition at an art exhibition opening party in Bradford; the artist Kenneth Hung, curated by Teh Forum's very own Steve Manthorp, some time in, oooh, 2003, maybe?

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.72 In reply to 42538.71 
That's excellent and a very good reason to carry it forward. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Next thing: I'm up and running, and everything *seems* to be working very nicely. Compared to the olden days, it's all so much easier. It took about 5 minutes to install Windows, and it recognised all the bits straight off, and there was no faffing around trying to download drivers from various places or right-clicking .inf files, or any of the other nonsense that setting up a PC used to involve.

Which leads me to my questions - I've been getting a nag box telling me that Nvidia control panel is not installed, and I just figured out how to stop the nag box (by disabling the " NVIDIA Display Container LS" service), and while I was tidying away the boxes the bits came in, I found a disk of motherboard drivers and utilities.

Is it worth installing any of this? I seem to remember that the additional "control panel" software for my previous graphics cards and motherboards gave access to some arcane features via gratuitously ugly interfaces designed by people who believed that rolling your own interface elements resulted in a far superior button than anything Micro$oft [sic] could produce.

I suppose it'd be useful to know about fan speeds and temperatures and frequencies and that kind of thing.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.74 In reply to 42538.73 
Most people recommend against installing software that comes with the motherboard, unless there's any useful stuff you want like fan control, etc. without needing to go into the BIOS.

But they do recommend installing the AMD chipset drivers which you can get the latest from AMD's website. It also gives you some extra AMD specific power profiles.

Did you install Nvidia drivers from their website or just let Windows install them for you?

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42538.75 In reply to 42538.71 
Whenever I built myself a new PC in the past, I ended up doing a kind of "Oh no, I wish I'd seen that," thing like when I saw the special offers on a slightly faster memory or the next CPU up. Any of that? Just mention it because I was poking around some of the products on your list and...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80  81–89

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats