Music, Film, TV & BooksEli TWR

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Pop scares and a twist in search of a plot.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42499.2 In reply to 42499.1 
I just spoilered it to kingdom fuck by reading the wikipedia entry (I thought you might have been referring to "The Book of").

Anyway it has a happy ending, and that's no spoiler.
“Thousands of Bots Are Retweeting Claims of Voter Fraud In Kentucky”
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42499.3 In reply to 42499.2 
It's produced by the guy who did the Haunting of Hill House, and it really shows in the effects. Which is not in itself a bad thing, though the pop scares are very predictable. But the plot is as thin as tissue paper.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.4 In reply to 42499.3 
What drew you to watch it? Trailer?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.5 In reply to 42499.4 
A largely unjustified glowing review on Horror News Radio.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.6 In reply to 42499.1 
Exactly right. Half a dozen quite well done scary bits and a couple of intriguing encounters, but a threadbare plot with a boring twist and I never really cared about anybody in the story anyway. We were playing "click through the Netflix list of films and pick the first one that looks vaguely interesting". We often end up with something a bit odd that we've never heard of. Sadly, we usually haven't heard of them for very good reasons. Saw "Wounds" the other day which could easily share your TWR.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42499.7 In reply to 42499.6 
I found Apostle on Netflix that way and was reasonably impressed. It doesn't bear a lot of analysis (though few horror film do), the budget limitations show and it has a couple of gratuitously violent bits; but it's also eerie, disturbing and odd.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.8 In reply to 42499.6 
I used to enjoy watching all these shlocky b-horror movies on vhs, occasionally you'd stumble on a real gem (and I'd put the original Night of the Living Dead squarely in that schlocky gem category). Lately however I'm finding they're guaranteed to disappoint.

Now that I think of it, a lot of this material was grist for the X-files tv series, and used brilliantly by it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.9 In reply to 42499.8 
A lot of those 80s VHS releases were student or fan work and had the strengths (originality) and weaknesses (production values) of being made by people who hadn't been through the industry sausage machine (or not right through, anyway).

21st century horrors have become very formulaic (or perhaps we have become better at recognising the formulae). Perhaps something to do with film companies becoming more 'professional' and driven more by the production end and less by the 'artistic'?

CGI gives a very samey gloss to the screen, too.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.10 In reply to 42499.7 
The Apostle trailer looks good. Hope it comes out on dvd (and in the lieberry).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.11 In reply to 42499.9 
Speaking of which we're watching The Skin as sort of a palette cleanser to Murder in Paradise.

Slow build, low budget fx (mostly make up, and some glowing eyes in post).

Quite liking it thus far.

So off the reservation it doesn't even have a trailer on youtube! (that I could find)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1961595/

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.12 In reply to 42499.10 
MrsD. might struggle with the violence.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.13 In reply to 42499.8 
Quote: 
Lately however I'm finding they're guaranteed to disappoint.

My theory is that it's partly a consequence of technological progress. It's far easier for a small production company to get hold of the equipment and technology to create a superficially well-made product than it was a few years back. What we get has its equivalents in self-publishing where much of the "slush-pile" of under-edited, poorly thought out, badly written texts has moved from the desks and bins of literary agents out into the "published" world of Amazon and others.

Since I've dabbled in scribbling myself, I've seen dozens of scripts from fellow would-be authors, and the bad ones often have a similar feel to them. They have a shaky story-arc often with a weak resolution. Almost always they have a few well-realised passages and a handful of good ideas. It's the result of starting out with a few well-realised passages and a handful of good ideas and hoping that the story and its conclusion will somehow emerge. Well, sometimes it does and maybe one time in ten it'll be pretty good. Problem is that when you've put in the work to write 120,000 words it's SO tempting to think 'job done' instead of either biting the bullet and starting the massive task of editing, or binning the lot.

A fair few Netflix and Amazon films I've seen in the last few years have just this feeling. One hour ten minutes into the plot and the director suddenly realises the film has to end soon, so the last 50% of the story is crammed into 10% of the time. The director/screenwriter has no idea how to resolve the tangled web of clever ideas from the start, so doesn't really bother. Something terrifying is happening which we never quite see and after hours of brain-wracking nothing original emerges so it turns out to be (a) a demon from "another dimension" (b) a demon from "hell" that arrived through "a portal" (c) one or more main/secondary characters "possessed" by a or b (d) something with a very fuzzy explanation to do with technology gone wrong (e) too bored to think of any more cliched endings.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.14 In reply to 42499.12 
I'll save it for one of her nights out, when I'm not (re)watching Kick Ass, Sin City, The Usual Suspects, Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans, or some equally high-minded production.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.15 In reply to 42499.13 
This is semi-plausible as far as it goes ... nevertheless it does appear there is some kind of market for this bilge -- else no one would distribute it.

I blame cell phones, twitter, and the general slide into sub-literacy, where YA-level plotting is married to extreme violence and CGI. Profit!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.16 In reply to 42499.14 
The kalsarikänni playlist...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.17 In reply to 42499.16 
Just so.  (rave)
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.18 In reply to 42499.15 
Oh, there's definitely a market for it. Netflix, Amazon etc. pay big fees for the A-list movies they show which means they can't just offer the full library of "decent" quality film making for ever, even if the licence-holders let them do that, which they don't. That means they have to take what they can get at as low a price as possible simply to fill their lists up. It explains the upsurge of in-house film and TV series making which would have been unthinkable a decade ago when the prevailing management wisdom was always to stick to core business. It also explains why around 45% of all the offerings online are now foreign language. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.19 In reply to 42499.18 
I don't think the analogy can be taken too far. There are hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of e-book self publishers. And the average person who feels they have a movie in them is more likely to head for YouTube or Vimeo than set up a production company.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42499.20 In reply to 42499.19 
They're probably encouraged by the general, abysmal level of most mainstream stuff.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats