TechnicalInterworx

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
The other day, I received a message from my VPS company, stating that cPanel will be increasing their prices.

I only have one web site on a VPS.

Is this a legitimate concern for me?

Have you heard if Interworx?

Quote: 

Hello,

On June 27th, 2019 cPanel announced a significant change to their pricing structure.

A quick explanation of the situation: Currently, cPanel is licensed per server. With the new pricing structure, cPanel will license per cPanel account and per server, which results in a significant price increase, not only for us, but for our customers.

cPanel’s announcement came as a shock to us, and this dramatic change has caught the entire hosting industry by surprise. While incremental price increases are expected from providers from time to time, this sudden and dramatic pricing increase has put businesses of all sizes in a difficult position.

The rates mentioned in the cPanel blog post are the cost for providers like Liquid Web and on average represent a 40% increase. While the cPanel 2019 pricing varies by server type, customers can expect to see a 25%-50% increase on average, and in cases where customers have >100 accounts, it could be a 100%+ price increase.  

cPanel price changes for Liquid Web customers due to this vendor rate increase will be effective on January 1, 2020.

We are pleased to announce that Liquid Web now owns a competing control panel, Interworx, that will allow our customers to avoid the price increase altogether. And, because of the uncertainty that cPanel’s pricing has introduced into the control panel market, Liquid Web will be providing a price lock guarantee that ensures that the Interworx price will not increase for 3 years from January 1, 2020.

On the market for nearly 20 years, the Interworx Hosting control panel is feature-rich like cPanel and has an intuitive user interface for managing servers and for end users to oversee the operations of their websites. InterWorx has thousands of licenses in production and we expect to add thousands of additional production licenses in the upcoming months.  

What happens next:

Our assumption is that most customers will want to avoid a price increase of any kind, and we will be working with you to migrate to the Interworx control panel. Migrations to InterWorx will happen over the next several months and you will be given ample notice and more details on what to expect in the upcoming weeks. We are working hard on the process and automation to reduce customer impact.

Of course, should you wish to remain on cPanel, you can certainly do so. Your current pricing on existing servers will remain unchanged until 1/1/2020 when the new cPanel pricing tiers will go into effect at Liquid Web. Should cPanel raise their pricing in future years, you should expect that Liquid Web will be forced to pass on those increases as well.

If you are a WordPress or WooCommerce user, this may be the time for you to check out Liquid Web’s Managed WordPress and Managed WooCommerce solutions which provide simple management dashboards allowing customers to abstract themselves from server administration altogether.

We’re pleased to be able to add Interworx for our customers while also continuing to offer cPanel as a fully-managed control panel option, including the same level of full server support by the Most Helpful Humans in Hosting®

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri
DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Stunt Engraver (DGL)     
42447.2 In reply to 42447.1 
Assuming your web host is Liguid Web and you continue using CPanel, your hosting cost is pegged to rise ~40%.
“Man threatens Popeyes employees with gun after chicken sandwich sold out.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42447.3 In reply to 42447.2 
I'm with Liquid Web, but it sounds like all hosting services that use cPanel will see price increases.

Guess I'll be looking into Interworx.

DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42447.4 In reply to 42447.3 
Well, for a backup work staging site we use godaddy hosting which comes with cpanel, and there's been no increase (we just renewed).

OK, having just googled it I guess we're good for a couple of years but it looks like godaddy will be impacted. They are probably trying to work out some kind of volume discount, failing that looking at an alternative.

Edit: Ooh, got 'em by the short hairs -- "Once installed, cPanel & WHM cannot be easily removed. cPanel & WHM FAQ states that the best way to uninstall cPanel & WHM is by reformatting the server."  :-O https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPanel
“What Happens Next Will Shock You”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42447.5 In reply to 42447.4 
Liquid Web won't see an increase until Jan, 1, 2020.

I'm hoping they'll work out a bulk licensing arrangement, but it looks like they're going to offer a choice:

1) Stay with cPanel w/price increase.

2) Switch to Interworx.

Not sure how a change to Interworx would take place, given the reformatting of the server info you provided.

DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42447.6 In reply to 42447.5 
They may be able to run Interworx and Cpanel side-by-side on the same server(s), or run new servers with Interworx and migrate customer accounts. Interworx looks way cheaper, especially with the pending price increase. Dunno if that will continue with non Liquid Web hosting, since LW bought them out. Cpanel got bought by an investment company last year, no doubt looking to monetize the acquisition. It would be nice if an open source option was developed.
“What Happens Next Will Shock You”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42447.7 In reply to 42447.1 

> On June 27th, 2019 cPanel announced a significant change to their pricing structure.

And on 5th July 2019 cPanel amended those changes based on feedback received.

The prices on cPanel's update blog post are lower than the ones Liquid Web are quoting, despite Liquid Web's blog post having only been posted in the past fortnight.

The Liquid Web blog entry / price list also fails to mention the cPanel Solo tier - on offer for $15/month - this package was available prior to the price changes and the price of it has not increased.

In short: The price of a single user VPS account cPanel license is not changing. Given you have a single account, you should not currently be paying more than $15/month for your cPanel license.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42447.8 In reply to 42447.6 
Quote: 
Cpanel got bought by an investment company last year, no doubt looking to monetize the acquisition.

I didn't know they had been acquired.

That explains a lot.

A lot of that going on in the engraving industry.

Companies being acquired/merged, then the main people quit or get axed, because their opinions/attempts at guidance are no longer valued.

DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42447.9 In reply to 42447.7 
Quote: 

In short: The price of a single user VPS account cPanel license is not changing. Given you have a single account, you should not currently be paying more than $15/month for your cPanel license.

I'm a single user paying $55 a month, including cPanel.

Guess I'll wait to see what happens.

Sounds like Liquid Web is creating a fear factor, for whatever reason.

DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–9

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats