Music, Film, TV & BooksThe Vietnam War (Ken Burns, 2017)

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Stunt Engraver (DGL)     
42419.3 In reply to 42419.2 
Yeah that was early on. Despite knowing a bit about it I have definitely learned a few startling facts from the series, for example, after the Vietnamese drove out the Japanese occupation and were briefly independent, they begged the Americans not to let the French take over again. But the French threatened to go over to the Soviet bloc, unless they got back their prewar colonies.
“Man jailed after his own dashcam filmed him dealing drugs”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)      
42419.4 In reply to 42419.3 
Very interesting!

I'll have to watch the series.  There's a lot of hidden history, with Viet Nam being one of many facets.

Thanks!

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri
DGL Engraving
Ojai, CA
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Almost finished, about 10-minutes left on the last episode (10), which seems to be mainly a kind of requiem.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, while it covered Watergate as part of a lengthy exposition of Nixon's wartime machinations and paranoia, the series didn't touch upon widespread domestic skullduggery by U.S. government agencies (notably the CIA and FBI), and by state and local police departments against activists, which ranged from building files on peaceful demonstrators, to infiltration, cultivating informers, provocateurs, blackmail, and even more sinister, manifestly harmful and illegal actions, including (it has been reputed) facilitating the large scale introduction and distribution of heroin to vulnerable communities, specifically to undercut dissent. (etc.)

So, not surprised or disappointed by this omission, but it does underscore the parameters of acceptable discourse for this project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_CHAOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI%E2%80%93King_suicide_letter
“Man jailed after his own dashcam filmed him dealing drugs”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–5

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats