HardwareValve Index

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)      
42359.2 In reply to 42359.1 
I've got a Vive and I wouldn't be without VR for the world. It's a radically different experience to flat gaming. An evening of flat gaming leaves me stewing in unspent adrenalin and fucks up my sleep.  I come out of VR much as I would out of a dream (or back in the day, a trip), feeling exhilarated but calm, if that's not a contradiction in terms. It's cathartic.

Depending on the game, I can also come out with a sweat on (NJ) - Beat Saber and John Wick, for instance, both involve enough exercise to break a proper sweat.

I'm gritting my teeth ready to stump up for the Index because the reviews are so good.  There's a cheap upgrade path for Vive owners who, in theory, only need the new headset - though who is going buy a second-hand Vive headset off me without all the accompanying gubbins?  It probably makes more sense to sell the whole lot, double down on the teeth-gritting and buy a complete new Index setup.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42359.3 In reply to 42359.2 
My Index arrived on Monday :D

I haven't had a huge amount of time to play with it yet but it's epic. I can't really remember the Vive to compare it but the quality of the screen is amazing. No pixels in sight. Some people complain about muted colours and light blacks but I haven't been bothered by it.

The immersion is fantastic. It's so easy to forget where you are and feels a bit strange coming back into the room after taking it off. Beat Saber is obviously awesome and the kids love it. Even Sian said it was epic so it had wife approval too :)

Hotdogs, Hand Grenades and Horseshoes is crazy. The gun mechanics in that is amazing. Very interactive and really feels like you're playing with real guns. And defending yourself from attacking hotdogs is both crazy weird and intense. I just wish my living room was bigger so I don't have to worry so much about crashing into things.

I have to say I love it.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42359.4 In reply to 42359.3 
Quote: 
defending yourself from attacking hotdogs is both crazy weird and intense.

:-O

“Man jailed after his own dashcam filmed him dealing drugs”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42359.5 In reply to 42359.3 
Brilliant! The resolution & all-round performance of the Index is meant to knock the Vive into a cocked hat.

I really want an index headset at least, but I'm not sure my setup has enough grunt. What CPU/GPU have got?

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42359.6 In reply to 42359.5 
I just had a go at The Exorcist Legion VR and I can see what people are saying about the blacks. It is pretty grey to be honest but in most things it's not a problem at all.

And fuck me, that kind of shit if terrifying in VR. It was very short but I nearly shit myself when the lights started flashing and things started appearing out of nowhere.

I recently got a 2070 Super and still running my old i5 2500K. Most things or handles perfectly. Beat Saber can even do 144Hz. But some things struggle a little. Shattered Lights for example dropped down to 30FPS.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–6

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats