HardwareMusic thingummy

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  graphitone     
42301.128 In reply to 42301.126 
It's odd looking at this case. They seem to have deliberately made it not fit properly leaving ribbon cables and stuff on view from the front.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)      
42301.129 In reply to 42301.128 
Anybody know how to fool a PC into behaving as though it has a monitor attached when there isn't one? Anydesk, my remote connection software of choice, doesn't work well, or sometimes at all, when there's no monitor.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.130 In reply to 42301.129 
I either have it boot up with an always on vnc server or start/stop the server via ssh.
“Alligator with large knife in its head seen swimming in lake”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42301.131 In reply to 42301.130 
You're quite right of course. I really should just use VNC - or any remote desktop thing without the monitor quirks.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.132 In reply to 42301.131 
And I've discovered that it doesn't matter because the chipset on this mobo churns out a default 1024x768 desktop anyway with no  monitor plugged in.

So for a local monitor, with some usb string for charging, I can buy a cheapo, no-name tablet and use iDisplay or similar.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.133 In reply to 42301.132 
Pretty well finished now. I still have to put about 100GB of Classical Music on but that's going to mean a bit of faffing around with metadata as most media players only really play nicely with rock/pop/jazz etc. I also have to install a wifi chip, having recently discovered the difference between MHF4 connectors and mini PCI-E connectors on internal antenna tails (M.2 cards have the former and no matter how hard you push, the latter don't fit). Then there's some more cable-management and taking a look at Fidelizer. But, yes, nearly done. Sounds brilliant and I have a stupid smile.

Attachments:

+3/3
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.134 In reply to 42301.133 
"cheapo, no-name tablet and use iDisplay"

If you want to go really cheap, androidvnc is free (iDisplay is US$24).
“making satanism appear normal”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.135 In reply to 42301.133 
Looks the business that does.  (yes)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42301.136 In reply to 42301.135 
It sounds pretty business-like. The speakers will take a few days to wear in, but at the risk of sounding like a HiFi prattler, they did improve with a day of use.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.137 In reply to 42301.134 
I've taken a false step there and I haven't worked out how to get around it. Tried a couple of VNC viewers and a couple of other remote desktop type apps. None were especially good. It's a combination of factors. Basically it's far easier to control from a laptop than from a small tablet,, especially one with a low res, laggy screen.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.138 In reply to 42301.137 
Vnc viewers can be finicky, and servers idiosyncratic so there is some trial and error to find the right combo of ip address and port. Then you're shoehorning a desktop display into a small screen.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.139 In reply to 42301.138 
It's easy to forget that Android, iOS etc were designed specifically for touchscreens. You connect to a Windows box and straightaway you're faced with text entry boxes that don't automatically resize, links that are too small to tap reliably and so on. Switch Windows to tablet mode and after the pain of setting things back up so that you can find stuff it's not much better. Combine that with a painfully slow tablet and it's all but impossible. 

Trying to improve the memory situation with the tablet by adding a swap file/partition, but it's proving bloody hard to even root the damn thing.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.140 In reply to 42301.139 
Oh, your server is running Windows. I missed that. Windows RDP is actually far more bulletproof than VNC (IME) -- for seeing Windows on other desktops (Windows, OS X and 'mainstream' Linux distros). There is an rdp client for android iirc.

Ubuntu over vnc is pretty usable, even on a 7" tablet (1280x800), but I'd rather use JuiceSSH + Hacker's Keyboard for configuring stuff, because it's basically a full-screen terminal, and the keyboard gives a Ctrl key and other essential functions lacking in the onboard android keyboard.

I was able to 'unlock' my tablet, but not root it and after further investigation decided it isn't worth the bother. I did install a better recovery mode than stock, "team win recovery project," which enables a number of advanced recovery, backup and restore functions, mounting volumes etc. Otherwise it's the same old, lame-ass tablet.

I can see if you are trying to get a really simple setup for non-technical users this is all a complete non-starter.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.141 In reply to 42301.133 
Very glad to see you're happy with the results!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.142 In reply to 42301.140 
It's like this: some people are perfectly capable of using, say, an iPod or mp3 player. They'll happily flip around a television remote on a smart TV. However, when faced with a tablet or even a Windows PC they start to get angry really fast. Instead of saying 'that didn't work, let's think about it a bit' they seem to get into a 'that didn't work, let's do stuff at random to get deeper in the shit' frame of mind.

My FIL is typical. I've seen him sitting at his laptop clicking away (no such thing as a single click. He learned double-click so uses it everywhere) as his laptop opens program after program and stores away actions to complete, draining every last ounce of memory and performance until nothing is working. Still he clicks, because obviously 'something will work' eventually. Then, he slams the lid and stamps off to do something else. 

Mrs WilliamA is not nearly as bad as that, but she is easily frustrated by computers in general, and I don't want her getting fed up because she can't turn 'the record player' on. She may get the hang of AnyDesk which is on her laptop, in which case that's fine.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42301.143 In reply to 42301.141 
I am, indeed :)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.144 In reply to 42301.142 
You've just described ~90% of the tech users I typically encounter. Actually most are far more competent on Office, twitter, facebook (etc) than I'll ever be, so I give 'em that.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.145 In reply to 42301.142 
Oh god, the double clicking when it's not needed. All the time at work

"why did it open 4 windows?"
"because you're double clicking when you shouldn't be, and the system is slow, which you know, but you double clicked twice"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42301.146 In reply to 42301.145 
Him: it looks like it's stuck
Me: you don't need to double-click when the cursor turns into a hand with a pointy finger - usually
Him: oh, really?
Me: and some other times as well
Him: oh, right. I'll have to look for that
Him: click click
Computer: dies (stage left)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.147 In reply to 42301.133 
Very nice indeed.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  81–100  101–120  121–140  141–160  161–168

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats