HardwareMusic thingummy

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42301.101 In reply to 42301.93 
Windows 10. It surprised me too because I'd heard how simple it was.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42301.102 In reply to 42301.92 
Yes, that might be useful. I did stump up for a DBpoweramp licence many years ago. Can't imagine it's still valid. We also have several hundred vinyl LPs to think about. I would love my trusty Systemdek to be allowed space in the brave new world - but it isn't going to happen (it hasn't yet so I can't imagine that will change) so the LPs will need to be converted as well. Probably WAV first and then... Still, that's another problem.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)      
42301.103 In reply to 42301.101 
Maybe it's loads more complicated in Windows 10, like pretty much everything else? In Windows 7, I pointed it at my Ubuntu file server samba shared music folder (organized by album, as ripped) and musicbee automagically populated its library by artist/album/genre and even hunted up the album art all without me lifting a finger. Did this on my pc and my wife's pc (also Windows 7), no muss, no fuss. I like that it has a built-in equalizer too. Only thing I got wring was I dumped both mp3 and flac into the same folder (per album), but that won't be too hard to fix.
“I don’t know where you came from, but I’m sending you back.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.104 In reply to 42301.103 
Peter and you have persuaded me. I'll try again today.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.105 In reply to 42301.104 
Well, fair play to advocates of MusicBee. Lying in bed this morning, reading over this thread, I logged on to the music PC and tried again. Blow me down if it didn't work perfectly. One major difference during the installation was that during the setup dialog that asks for folders to search for music, this time after I selected the folder with the FLAC files, it actually appeared in the list of folders to search. Last time even though I followed the same procedure, only the default Windows music folder (empty) was listed after I selected, and nothing I did subsequently to make it find the music had any effect. Maybe something failed in the installation - who knows?

Anyway, now I have two players to try against each other.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.106 In reply to 42301.103 

Quote: 
even hunted up the album art all without me lifting a finger

Yeah, it didn't do this bit which was a surprise. It actually appeared to have found some of the album art, which showed up on track listings, but none of the covers next to the albums were there. 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42301.107 In reply to 42301.91 
"What's your own media player of choice, Milko Bar Kid?"

realistically nowadays, Spotify for most of the time. Discover Weekly gets me through a lot of the week very nicely. In the office da kidz choose the music so I'm all hip to the latest London trends, innit. We've recently had a CD revival in the house as li'l Dylan is able to get to grips with that pretty nicely (faves: Mr Scruff, the first Gorillaz record - he's probably dated by when I bought a lot of CDs although that last one is Tina's). We had a big old iPod Classic hooked up to speakers for a while too.
I've got Kodi/XBMC on a Mac Mini lined up for playing MP3s but it's a good long time since I used it for that, it's our main way of watching TV/movies at the moment. Having just a couple of nights ago wired in a reasonably fancy sound system I should probably give it another go.
milko
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42301.108 In reply to 42301.107 
I should add, I don't like Spotify's relationship with music artists one bit. It's an excellent discovery tool (albeit it's good not to rely on it entirely) and it's very good at generating playlists for me. But their rate of pay for musicians is shite and it's having/going to have a weird effect on the way music is made and sold due to attempts at gaming the algorithms. I try to buy something from artists I like, separately (so I have a few unopened CDs of albums I've saved on there) if I can't get to see them live - something that's gotten much harder since sprogging. Bandcamp is also a much nicer way to pay musicians for MP3s. 
milko
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.109 In reply to 42301.105 
"only the default Windows music folder (empty) was listed after I selected"

OK, now that you mentioned it, that happened to me too, and I had to go into the preferences or whatever to fix it. It does default to users' Music folder and refuses to see others at first blush. I'm so used to software installation being compulsively stupid, once I blew past that it was all dead easy, and I knew what to expect when I set up Mrs.'
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.110 In reply to 42301.109 
So far it's a dead heat with Dopamine. Dopamine beats it in the ease of use stakes and MusicBee has the features. Still don't know which to go with, I may leave both there. I've got a 250GB M.2 drive with nothing on it but Windows 10 and a couple of media players (well, yes there's all the sensible stuff like AV etc.) so no issues there.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.111 In reply to 42301.109 
I have to say that copying CDs, which I thought was going to be one of the hardest parts of the exercise (and yes some of it is is incredibly boring) has turned out to have some fun bits. Came across the first Dido CD and suddenly remembered watching Roswell High as though it mattered. Then the Diamond Dogs CD took me right back to setting up my "record player" (I won't bore you with the component parts but I remember them all) when I rented a room in the house of Modern Classical composer Eric Graebner. Good God alive, I played him Diamond Dogs and he "quite liked it". He probably didn't.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.112 In reply to 42301.111 
I use Asunder to rip on Ubuntu. I don't know if it's particularly fast or slow (which I think is mainly down to hw), but I just pop in cd's, it does the cddb lookup thing, I hit rip (with my presets for quality/format/folder), do other stuff, and then 10-15 minutes later (depending on length of cd, faster if I don't do flac) it pops it out and I drop in the next. It doesn't seem tedious, but I don't do it very often and never rip > 3-4 cds from [unnamed source] at a go anyway. Might feel more passionate about it if I was faced with 100s.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.113 In reply to 42301.112 
i've done about 200 so far and looking like the pile isn't even scratched

edit: which is a good thing - ho ho!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.114 In reply to 42301.113 
Gotta love how EAC gets really serious and warns about major read failures and how it FAILED to make an exact copy and then I play the track and it's fucking PERFECT! 

old ears...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.115 In reply to 42301.114 
It's in the name! Must like its bits to be perfect.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.116 In reply to 42301.98 
> Why is the concept of an inbox suitable for somebody who wants to play music?

It's useful for people that want to fix metadata first, rather than sullying their pristine collection with the insane shit some Internet people tag their music files with.

There is a configuration option to add direct to library and/or to automatically import stuff, but it sounds like your issue was something different anyway.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42301.117 In reply to 42301.116 
You're right that it's a useful feature. I would query the name choice though. It's not a terrible choice, but it isn't helpful for somebody trying to learn how to use it.

Anyway, it all looks far more promising now that it actually works. And yes, the stuff some people think should go into the metadata is just incomprehensible. And the problem is that with open metadata databases, it slowly spreads across the world.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.118 In reply to 42301.105 
I've been using MusicBee for sometime and really like it, but as you've eluded to there are some issues with the library/importing tracks. I've got it setup on my PC and newly ripped tracks appear after a restart of the software. My wife has the same setup - MusicBee looking at the share on the NAS for the FLAC files. I've been through the settings with a fine tooth comb and they all match, but there's a delay in her MusicBee finding the new tracks. It's set to discover new files in the assigned folder at startup and takes 2 or 3 reboots of the PC before it'll find them.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42301.119 In reply to 42301.118 
OK - now that I've got my little music PC working (and a heatsink on the M.2 drive mmmm, toasty!) I'm turning to step 2, which is refurbishing my Cyrus amp. One nice surprise was when I looked for the serial number to book it in with the service feller I discovered it's a Cyrus Two and not the One I thought it was. I'm not (totally) daft; they're identical to look at apart from an additional input at the back of the Two. Anyway, that's beside the point. The case work is part pressed, part cast aluminium and over the years it's picked up a few little peels and chips to the paintwork. The top shroud detaches and could be resprayed, but as the paint chips are tiny (pin head size), the finish is very slightly stippled anyway, and my spraying skills are not great, I probably won't. The mid section is attached to the massive cast base and spraying isn't really practical because of the stencilled control indications, logos etc.

My thought is to attack the damage with an enamel paint such as Humbrol with a suitable silk finish and a skinny modeling brush, using a polishing compound like T-cut if necessary. I think the stippled top shroud will be forgiving enough to be straightforward, but the smooth metal mid section is more of a problem.

Has anybody here done anything like this? Any tips or pointers?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42301.120 In reply to 42301.119 
Can you upload a picture or two, so we can see the extent of the damage there.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  61–80  81–100  101–120  121–140  …  161–168

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats