HardwareBye Bye Nexus 7

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
My nexus 7 (2012) tablet appears to have finally shit the bed (endless boot loop), after a long, slow decline. I tried booting into recovery mode, wiping data cache, nope. ditto, factory reset. still nope. I reckon the ram and or ssd are fuxored. It's been prone to boot problems but periodic shut-down & reboot was the only way to restore reasonable performance, which would then degrade after a few hours use.  :-(
“my Airbnb guests threw a party for 300 people”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Whalp, the factory reset seems to have taken after a power off. This is good because I had waay too many apps installed, the vast majority I did not use and couldn't delete without a crash. So they're all wiped. Will be more thoughtful about what gets installed going forward, assuming it's going to continue working.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

1st post-reset boot stuck in loop, second succeeded. Apart from that, it's like a new tablet. Luckily google play had a list of previously installed apps, so I didn't have to remember that. I've got the 4-5 used for 99% back on board.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42289.4 In reply to 42289.3 
As I've mentioned a few times, I need to refresh mine.
Are you just using the latest factory firmware/ROM or anything custom?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42289.5 In reply to 42289.4 
Just the stock latest (for Nexus 7 2012) Android 5.1.1 that was already on board. After the reset I had to update a few things, google play for example, also when I reinstalled some apps I lost some functionality, e.g. adblock plus for android is no longer available except as a standalone browser. TBH I haven't really noticed getting tons more ads without it so far.

I'm a little shocked at how much better the tablet is working now with networking and UI responsiveness, before the reset it was dead slow and crashy AF on a good day.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42289.6 In reply to 42289.5 
Known issue with a Nexus 7 2012. Something like the filesystem grinds to a halt after a while. Dodgy eMMC chips or similar.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42289.7 In reply to 42289.6 
Oh. I thought I had messed it up with accumulated bad apps and adb shenanigans.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

re: "adblock plus for android is no longer available", I just noticed this morning that ads are still being blocked (appear as empty gray boxes) in the Guardian app without adblock. WTF?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Forget Adblock Plus. uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, Decentraleyes; first three plugins for any new setup.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42289.10 In reply to 42289.9 
OK thanks, I'll check 'em out. Is there much of a performance hit?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

My firesale HP Touchpad (August 2011) refuses to die. It now runs a bastard version of Android, rather than the original WebOS, but it charges fine, speakers are still good & wifi is strong. Weighs just short of a ton and as thick as a family bible. It's a unit.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

After another slow down and long boot loop seige, I decided to root the fucker using this tool http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt

I unlocked it yesterday, managed to get it to boot again (after several tries) and still have to do the rooting.

Then I'll be able to perform a manual fstrim, and hopefully manage the issue.

If that doesn't help, I'll consider installing linux to it.
“If there is a concrete wall in front of you, go through it” – Donald Trump, 2004
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Rooted after a couple of minor Windows driver installation hiccups. Went into a boot loop after, (consistent with pre-rooting), so I powered off and put the charger on it (in the past this has seemed to restore bootability). Fingers crossed.
“If there is a concrete wall in front of you, go through it” – Donald Trump, 2004
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Still boot-looping. Tried re-rooting with the NRT thingy, which appeared to go ok: auto rebooted into 'fastboot' mode several times, flashing stuff apparently successfully judging by the log, up until the 'final' reboot ("Waiting for your device..."), then the boot-loop persisting through several restarts.

Not really any viable options for installing linux AFAICT  :-(

Assuming it is not a go with the rooting, my final option is to reflash stock rom and hope it can boot up from that, which it had previously after unlocking, albeit with some difficulty.

Some folks swear by downgrading to Android 4.4, so I guess that's an option too.

Attachments:
rooted-2nd try.txt

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

The saga continues... after reviewing the NRT rooting [attempt] log (attached ^^^) I suspected that although the SuperSU, BusyBox etc were copied to the tablet, they may not have been installed because of the failed reboot. So I booted into the "TWRP" (replacement recovery partition) and was able to install them from there. But this didn't fix the boot loop. After several attempts, I decided to revert to stock 5.1.1 ROM from TWRP recovery.

In doing this, it reformatted the cache partition (to ext4), I'm not sure if that is normally done from the stock recovery option, since that gives no verbose console indication of WTF is going on, unlike TWRP. TWRP is definitely the superior tool (allowing unhindered access to the file system, including system folders, and mounting all partitions including OTG devices), and a host of recovery options,and I'll be curious to see if that is still on board.

Anyhow, it immediately rebooted into stock Android 5.1.1 which I again have to set up. But at least the tablet is usable. Supposedly the fstrim command can be run from the TWRP console, in which case rooting would not really be needed
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

My nexus 2013 tablet has died down. It was such a wonderful tablet of that time. Very snappy and was easy to use. 

APPROVED: 16 Jan 2019 11:04 by MILKO

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Are you sure it's dead? I thought mine is/was, but reflashing (three times) brought it back up to scratch.

Attempted rooting* with SuperSU (twice, 2nd time by accident) made it unbootable, so I reflashed stock, configured, flashed TWRP to recovery and backed it all up so (hopefully) future recovery will take a few minutes vs. a few hours.

*now reckoned to be not terribly useful for most folks
“I’m old, sedentary and slouch a lot – will standing up at my desk … um, never mind.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42289.18 In reply to 42289.1 
Heh, I've got a Nexus 10 and yeah....it's pretty much a paperweight now. Shame really, cos it really did the trick for a long time - but I tried to resurrect it a year or so ago and it would just randomly reboot.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
42289.19 In reply to 42289.18 
My 7 is back in action. Reflashing with stock rom brought it back from the dead, and I've put in an updated "RAM cleaner" app that somewhat improves usability (still reliably slows down and randomly reboots, but a lot less frequently).

Two main ongoing (apparently related) glitches seem to be wifi and "system ui", which typically crashes about ~15-mins after starting anything using wifi. If it makes it through a system ui reset without rebooting itself, it actually runs smooth for a few hours. So usable about as much as I need it to be.

“The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–19

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats