Games (inc Online)The oldest game you still play

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
In the wake of Smiffy's 'Legends of Shitty Game Graphics' and 'Outcast 2' threads, what's the oldest game you still play with any regularity?

I still play Supreme Snowboarding - and it still plays well - and I occasionally dip into Drakan and Nomad Soul (all three 1999). I also have installs of Tomb Raider I and II (1996 & 7), the first one with a fan-made textures pack.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42269.2 In reply to 42269.1 
I tend to play one game at a time for weeks/months, except when I don't. Right now I'm switching between FC3 & 4 (they cover a lot of bases between them, despite their similarities). FC3 has loads of replayability. Lately I've been experiencing FC3 Hubris -- getting my ass kicked multiple times due to being overconfident in a formidable loadout. So there's that. I'm not quite ready to go back into Dead Island, which I haven't played since acquiring FC3, though I'm tempted from time to time for a ghastly gore fix. I've been toying with the idea of reloading Ghost Recon AW2 on my old xp pc (since it supposedly won't run on anything newer). And there's Insurrection, Metro 2033 and Rage on tap. Probably not going back to L4D2 anytime soon, but anything's possible I suppose. Then there's that queue of old freebies that I've yet to install and take out for a test spin. Not getting bored, nope.

Games I wish I could play again: NFSPU, Dirt Track something something. I like racing games where the object to is to destroy the rivals' vehicles and generally drive to endanger. Actually I must do more of that in FC.
“Brexit is a uniquely British story of political backstabbing, hubris and incompetence spawned by factional disputes within the ruling Conservative Party”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42269.3 In reply to 42269.1 
Open up OpenTTD on the rare occasion I fancy gaming.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42269.4 In reply to 42269.1 
Any regularity? I suspect you meant reasonably often, but assuming a more liberal interpretation, I still take a stroll through Myst (93) from time to time and also the Secret of Monkey Island (90) and although I admit that the latter is the remastered 2009 version, it includes the original shitty graphics at the touch of a button. I have Zork Nemesis (96) and Grand Inquisitor (97) loaded although I haven't looked at either for a while. 
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42269.5 In reply to 42269.1 
I pretty much don't, usually of the opinion that nostalgia is best left untainted by going back. I'm gonna play Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango soon though. Hmm, if I ever played on the SNES Mini I reckon they'd be the title-holders for me.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42269.6 In reply to 42269.1 
Currently the only game I play regularly.

I'm not as good as I used to be, but then I guess I probably only play as much in a week now as I did per day before, if that.

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42269.7 In reply to 42269.1 
I regularly load up Street Fighter 2 on the RetroPie build I've got, and I play Pharaoh (city building game in ancient Egypt) a fair bit too, I think that's from 99-ish. That's a brilliant game and has a great sandbox build-your-own scenario/mission editor tool.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42269.8 In reply to 42269.7 
What RetroPie build are you using?
Maybe this would be better on a new thread. I think there's a few of us interested.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42269.9 In reply to 42269.1 
I still sporadically make the mistake of losing a day to Civ2.

Oldest game I have installed (and have played in the last year) is Head over Heels - a Spectrum game from 1987 in PC remake form, and it's still a great game work of art.

Entering a room and going "I remember this", then flashing a puzzle because of a 25-30 year old memory, does give a warm fuzzy feeling.

Now I'm thinking of how dumbed-down such a game would be if made today, and it's made me sad. :'(

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42269.10 In reply to 42269.1 
I recently re-installed Unreal Tournament and had some royally good fun with it! OpenTTD is also fun for a good retro-blast from time to time. Other old games I still enjoy playing are Raptor (needs DOSBox), Dungeon Keeper II and Warcraft 3.
---

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–10

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats