War & PoliticsBrexit deal nigh or nyet?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Fuck me if it hasn't all gone sideways. In a good way.
“Man threatens Popeyes employees with gun after chicken sandwich sold out.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)      
42264.176 In reply to 42264.175 
I'm not counting chickens yet. My rule of thumb is to ask "what would a bunch of spoilt, entitled, schoolboys do now?" It won't necessarily be clever, but it's likely to be vicious.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42264.177 In reply to 42264.176 
I just tweeted along these lines this morning:

Quote: 
There will be many more twists before Brexit is resolved (inasmuch as it ever will be), but today I am enjoying the apoplectic rage of the Tory cabinet at parliament refusing to comply with their crude attempts at manipulation. It says so much about their sense of entitlement.
​​​​​​​

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.178 In reply to 42264.176 
The vicious is getting old, beginning to look more like helpless thrashing about and self-harming. What chances do you give the "people vs parliament" shtick?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.179 In reply to 42264.178 
It's a hard one to call. H L Mencken wrote "No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people." The point is that this has moved far from a question of rational argument about what is best for the UK and when we're talking about how individual psychology translates into mass action and choices then who really knows?

I think Johnson has probably lost it for many Tories, but then again, there are a lot of them that emerge into the light when an election is called. And for most of them voting Tory is a religious matter. For many more, they will simply be unaware of events and as long as the Sun and the Daily Mail bray at them that BoJo is good, they'll support him. I mean, who can believe the insanity of Jacob Rees Mogg being portrayed as a Man of the People? A multi-millionaire member of the landed-gentry whose every move and utterance displays contempt for the people. 
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.180 In reply to 42264.179 
The key problem with a pre 31 October election for Johnson's government is that the Brexit Party (so-called) will threaten to stand against them unless they adopt a no-deal Brexit policy; but if they do adopt such a policy, they will lose a small, but significant chunk of the pro-Brexit, anti-no-deal constituency. Either way they lose votes. Furthermore, nobody believes that a no-deal crash-out will be without substantial collateral damage, including damage to business, to jobs and to health & life, which will be a long term electoral liability.

Best bets for the Tories might be either to re-introduce the Withdrawal Agreement, ideally with cosmetic tweaks, but failing that, as-is, and hope that sufficient MPs are now bricking it that the balance of voting changes: or, to lose a vote of no confidence and hand the whole sorry mess over to a GNU which will be just as hamstrung as any one-party government.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42264.181 In reply to 42264.180 
Quote: 
nobody believes that a no-deal crash-out will be without substantial collateral damage
I wish I shared your faith in our electorate. 
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.182 In reply to 42264.181 
It's not even just that, they think it's worth it (and presumably that it won't affect them personally so much) somehow. To "get it over with" as though No Deal wouldn't be just the beginning of a colossal fucking mess for the next several decades. 

Tories helping a lot by being impressively incompetent but labour played a blinder yesterday and today. I have a tiny sliver of optimism.
milko
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42264.183 In reply to 42264.182 
I dare say that if you were a fund manager with a business in, I dunno, Ireland, there's a great deal of money to be made by short-selling shares in UK industries that rely on the EU.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 42264.184 deleted 4 Sep 2019 22:15 by BOUGHTONP

42264.185 In reply to 42264.175 
Seems like lots happened/happening - where can I find a good (but concise) summary of everything?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42264.186 In reply to 42264.185 
Depends how granular you want it. Guardian politics live is pretty good moment to moment.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.187 In reply to 42264.185 
This is pretty amusing

https://twitter.com/IanDunt
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.188 In reply to 42264.186 
Ideally I'd like Neo Kung Fu format...

I don't suppose there's an option I'm missing to view that Guardian info all on one page and in proper chronological order?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.189 In reply to 42264.188 
It's neater on the mobile app, where the Live button brings up all posts in chronological order and as you scroll down you can select a number of sub-categories including UK Politics Live. With the www site you have to wait until the Live categories pop up on the front page or section pages. The Live posts are again chronological, but in pages so you have to click on at the bottom of each one. It would be easy to rationalise in the same fashion as the app, but they haven't.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Looks like it's in the bag, but WWBD?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.191 In reply to 42264.189 
> The Live posts are again chronological, but in pages so you have to click on at the bottom of each one

No, they're backwards. It's not chronological is you don't start at the beginning. :@

Anyway, I made a script to grab all the pages and reverse the order - browse to the first live page, open the console, paste the following script, hit return, and when it's done it'll scroll to the first entry. If I could be arsed I'd probably make it a GreaseMonkey script or something.

(function fixGuardianLive()
{
	var BlockSelector = '.blocks';
	var NavSelector = '.liveblog-navigation__link[data-link-name="older page"]';

var Blocks = document.querySelector(BlockSelector);
	var FixedBlocks = [];

appendBlocks(Blocks.children);
	http_get( document.querySelector(NavSelector).attributes.href.value , addNextPage );

function complete()
	{
		Blocks.innerHTML = FixedBlocks.reverse().join() ;
		Blocks.children[0].scrollIntoView();
	}

function appendBlocks(Items)
	{
		for ( var c = 0 ; c < Items.length ; ++c )
			FixedBlocks.push( Items[c].outerHTML );
	}

function addNextPage()
	{
		if ( this.status !== 200 )
		{
			console.error('Failed to append next page')
			console.log(this);
			return;
		}

var Content = document.createElement('div');
		Content.innerHTML = this.responseText;

appendBlocks( Content.querySelector(BlockSelector).children );

var NextPageUrl = Content.querySelector(NavSelector).attributes.href;

if ( typeof NextPageUrl !== 'undefined' )
		{
			http_get( NextPageUrl.value , this.onload );
		}
		else
		{
			complete();
		}
	};

function http_get(url,onload)
	{
		var request = new XMLHttpRequest();
		request.open('GET',url,true);
		request.onload = onload;
		request.onerror = function(){console.error('Connection error');console.log(this);};
		request.send();
	}
})()
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 42264.192 deleted 3 Mar 2020 11:02 by MILKO

Trade deal's been struck.
“Social media manipulation affects even US senators”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.194 In reply to 42264.193 
Could have had a better deal a year ago. Could have had a better deal under Johnson's government but 1) he's permanently stuck in campaign mode rather than governing 2) he can't work out which faction in his party he's most scared of.

He May Be Your Dog But He's Wearing My Collar

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  121–140  141–160  161–180  181–200

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats