War & PoliticsBrexit deal nigh or nyet?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42264.136 In reply to 42264.135 
I gave it a listen (the interview doesn't begin until nearly 6 minutes in). I thought he came across as a bit insubstantial although that may be the style of questioning. I think he's in love with the traditions of a Tory Party that doesn't exist any more.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42264.137 In reply to 42264.131 
isn't it up to the Conservative MPs until they get it down to 2 candidates and then all their members get to choose? If he gets that far, it'll be Johnson.

Anyway, think they're up past 10 candidates now, largely incompetent evil scum to a person but some of them are slightly less incompetent than others I suppose.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42264.138 In reply to 42264.137 
Yes, the 1922 committee has a batshit crazy system in which they poll Party MPs on all the candidates and the one with the lowest score is chucked out. The shortening list is put to MPs every Tuesday and Thursday(?!) until only two are left, and then it's put out to a vote by all members.

As you say, if Johnson gets that far, his win is a given. But the 1922 Committee don't like him, and neither do many MPs - no Remainer Tory would ever vote for him, and neither would any MP who can't countenance the real possibility of a no-deal.

I'd also be really surprised if Osborne's Standard isn't holding something on him, too. So the 'if' in '...if Johnson gets that far' is a real and significant 'if'.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
With two weeks until nominations close, by endorsement counts Hunt and Gove are the top two front-runners. No idea how popular they are with Conservative membership.

28 Jeremy Hunt
25 Michael Gove
24 Boris Johnson
21 Dominic Raab
12 Sajid Javid
8 Matt Hancock
6 Esther McVey
4 Andrea Leadsom
3 Kit Malthouse
3 Rory Stewart

Kit is another unknown to me, he seems boring but relatively inoffensive. No surprise that he's keeping Rory company at the bottom.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.140 In reply to 42264.139 
I've had £40 riding on Gove to be next Tory leader for over a year. They were offering 12:1 at the time and even though I didn't (and don't) think he's likely to win, I thought they'd got the odds wrong so I took a punt.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.141 In reply to 42264.139 
Malthouse and Stewart are relative unknowns to me as well. Malthouse loned his name to a Brexit proposal that was supposedly better than Theresa May's or the usual ERG solutions, because instead of Unicorns, the Malthouse Compromise was fuelled with Sooty's oofle-dust. Rory Stewart walked 10 times around the world to be a diplomat or something.

The rest are as repellant a bunch of self-promoting, vain, avaricious*, entitled vermin as you could ever hope to avoid.

*because sometimes greedy just won't do.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42264.142 In reply to 42264.141 
Stewart is the guy who made up a good stat during an interview.

Quote: 
Speaking to presenter Emma Barnett, he claimed 80% of the British public supported the prime minister’s Brexit deal. Pressed by Emma as to where he had got the information, he said: “I’m producing a number to try to illustrate what I believe.” He later added, “I totally apologise and I take that back"

A bit fucking dim to think nobody's gonna call him on saying 80%!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.143 In reply to 42264.142 
Oh, that was him! What a twat. So that's a full set of candidates lacking any ability whatsoever to be a Prime Minister (along with any compassion for or understanding of the lives most people live). The addition of Cleverly to the list doesn't change that. What a perfect bit of misnaming btw.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.144 In reply to 42264.143 
Anyway, Boris has a date with m'learned friends in due course...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.145 In reply to 42264.142 
He's now also the guy who put a video on twitter where he tried to make it look like he was holding his phone and recording it himself, but he wasn't and someone else was. Very odd.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.146 In reply to 42264.144 
Lying ain't a good look, unless you're an aspirational populist.
“you know things are bad when we’re using a show about chernobyl as escapism”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42264.147 In reply to 42264.140 
For some reason I thought you had that on Philip Hammond, though it appears there's no mention of him even possibly standing in this or previous leadership elections.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.148 In reply to 42264.147 
Heavens no! They'd have had to offer astronomical odds for me to have taken a punt on him. Even backing Gove was an act of laughable optimism spurred on by greed.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.149 In reply to 42264.141 
Rory Stewart looks as if he was born without a face and has borrowed one of Mick Jagger's old ones, even though it doesn't quite fit.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Nominations have closed, down from 13 candidates to "just" 10, with Boris as front-runner based on MP public support - three days until the first ballot gives the real numbers.
64 Boris Johnson
35 Jeremy Hunt
35 Michael Gove
24 Dominic Raab
19 Sajid Javid
14 Matt Hancock
 7 Mark Harper
 6 Esther McVey
 6 Rory Stewart
 5 Andrea Leadsom
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.151 In reply to 42264.150 
I guess Hunt will be the final girl to lose against Johnson.

If the Tories had an ounce of bottle (or imagination) they'd go for Stewart and the (faint) possibility of a cross-party solution.  But they don't.

Meanwhile, the Summer of Gove owes me £40. He can pay me back in crack.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42264.152 In reply to 42264.151 
Rory Stewart is just as bad as the rest. Seems much more personable, but his voting record is that of a Tory. Unsurprisingly.

And he said he'd never let no deal happen, yet voted against the bill yesterday to help try and prevent it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42264.153 In reply to 42264.152 
The brinkmanship involved in this exercise is breathtaking, to say the least.
“90% of Canadians have fallen for fake news”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.154 In reply to 42264.152 
Yeah, I wasn't defending his morality, just suggesting that his position on Brexit isn't so far from Labour's (well, Corbyn's) - perhaps close enough to arrive at a cross-party deal.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42264.155 In reply to 42264.152 
> Rory Stewart is just as bad as the rest. Seems much more personable, but his voting record is that of a Tory. Unsurprisingly.

Whilst I don't want to disagree with any of that, he has the highest parliament attendance (79%) and most rebellions (15 times, 0.7%) of the remaining candidates. (Although the now eliminated Dominic Raab had 92% attendance and 25/1.2% rebellions.). Rory also seemed to present himself well in the C4 debate the other night (resulting in a doubling of his votes), meaning second place might not be guaranteed to be Hunt.

126 (+12) Boris Johnson
 46 ( +3) Jeremy Hunt
 41 ( +4) Michael Gove
 37 (+18) Rory Stewart
 33 (+10) Sajid Javid

So, yeah three years of Boris, but I wonder to what degree the opinion polls currently putting Conservatives in 4th place will bounce back if he manages to rip the UK out of the EU, and to what degree the rise/return of Lib Dems and surge of Green support will be a factor in 2022.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  81–100  101–120  121–140  141–160  …  181–200

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats