CodingPHP Halp!

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42260.14 In reply to 42260.13 
Haha. "Powered by Wordpress"
“Brexit is a uniquely British story of political backstabbing, hubris and incompetence spawned by factional disputes within the ruling Conservative Party”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42260.15 In reply to 42260.14 
I'm no fan of Wordpress, but I have no issues with software projects picking an off-the-shelf CMS rather than waste time better spent on the project itself in building a site from scratch.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42260.16 In reply to 42260.15 
Wordpress is my kryptonite.  X-O
“Brexit is a uniquely British story of political backstabbing, hubris and incompetence spawned by factional disputes within the ruling Conservative Party”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42260.17 In reply to 42260.16 
Any special reason (apart from its huge number of bugs and amazingly poor integration with partner projects and plugins)?
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42260.18 In reply to 42260.17 
Not needed in ~90% of use cases. Clients too dumb to use it without routinely screwing it up, so better off with plain vanilla HTML5, and get edits done faster, better, cheaper by maintenance contract.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42260.19 In reply to 42260.18 
Oh right - you mean as a supplier where the client specifies it. Yes, I can see that would be annoying. 
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42260.20 In reply to 42260.19 
Apart from that, I just find it super-slow and kludgy to populate with content through the CMS. Minor edits are ok. The template structure is also very constraining, and the visual designers here aren't very mindful, or appreciative of constraints. Custom code nearly always works out better.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42260.21 In reply to 42260.20 
What you're saying is that as a website supplier you're more comfortable with the CMS you've written yourself, which is like duh, obvs!

That's fine too - I use lightweight or self-written frameworks for my own sites that only I deal with, but when I've had a site to hand-off to someone else, using Wordpress means I don't have to explain what I did, and I've found it to have different shitness to the other CMSs I've used. (If there's a good CMS out there, I've not used it.)

Which is not to say there isn't plenty of irritations with WP - I remember menus being a particular pain, and there was a fucking tonne of terrible plugins to navigate through to find a workable gallery, and it could and should be WAY more secure by default.

But there's nothing wrong with software projects focusing on where their skills lie, and using Wordpress (or Drupal/Django/etc) to provide their site.

All of which is nothing to do with the originally asked question:

What do people think about having a federated libre communication platform (like Matrix/Kune/other) for Teh?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42260.22 In reply to 42260.21 
Sorry, I don't like any CMS. I don't care if some random software project chooses to represent themselves through a CMS (though I consider it inauspicious). I just.don't.like.them.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–22

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats