Games (inc Online)Far Cry 4 $11.99 on Humble

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)      
42251.40 In reply to 42251.39 
He's glorious in pink. I'm quite interested in his portrayal. He's as camp as Christmas, but with no suggestion that he's gay, which is quite grown-up in game characterisation terms.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.41 In reply to 42251.37 
I did the demon fish hunt thing last night too. Using a grenade launcher to blast them out of the water is some real good fun. When I switched to a rifle to dispatch a boat full of bad guys that showed up half way through it failed the mission saying I'd not used the appropriate firearm. :C
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.42 In reply to 42251.37 
Maybe once you've dispatched the target animal you can use whatever you want. You said you'd shot the target one with arrows first, then moved onto the heavier arms for the other dogs.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42251.43 In reply to 42251.41 
Really. Those guys came roaring up just as I arrived at ye fishing hole, I grenade launched them into flaming death, which attracted dude screaming "YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT!!!" from the far shore, and proceeded to hose me with a stationary machine gun. Luckily he was very far away, and I had body armor on so I was able to pick him off with my sniper rifle before taking too many hits. Then, while I busy skinning the demonfish underwater, others kept swimming up and biting me. Like, why wouldn't you just haul it up on shore to skin it?
“24 Amazon Workers Sent To Hospital After Robot Accidentally Unleashes Bear Spray”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.44 In reply to 42251.42 
Nope, I shot the other dogs first. Else they kept swarming me. Game kept warning me about the wrong weapon, but didn't abort the mission unless I used it on the target animal.
“24 Amazon Workers Sent To Hospital After Robot Accidentally Unleashes Bear Spray”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Have either of you started in on the Yogi & Reggie missions yet?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42251.46 In reply to 42251.45 
I don't know what those are, so I guess not.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.47 In reply to 42251.45 
I've seen the icons pop up, but I'm hellbent on satisfying my OCD and getting all the available upgrades on holsters and ammo bags before tackling any more missions. To that end though, I've started on the fashion week ones and getting the rare animal skins.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.48 In reply to 42251.47 
I finally figured out how to take down those convoys (three pickups with mounted MGs): the RPG, and run crosswise to the switchbacks (and stay the fuck away from the MG fire). So I got me the "stinger", a very nice little sidearm.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.49 In reply to 42251.48 
Haven't tried those missions yet, but I kept hold of the grenade launcher I got from the demon fish skin mission, that'll be suitable as well no doubt.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.50 In reply to 42251.49 
Don't think so, because you'll need to fire from a considerable distance to avoid getting gunned down (also the trucks are speeding away). Anyway, unless you want to unlock the stinger, they're optional.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

The exotic rhino and badger were surprisingly easy to kill, mainly because they were on their own.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

The white tiger was a pussycat. OK, he mauled me to death on the first take.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

How do you two think it stands up to FC3 so far?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.54 In reply to 42251.53 
Like Smiffy mentioned, it feels like a reskin of FC3, at least it did initially. Granted the structure's nigh on identical, but the side missions are far more interesting, the sandbox encourages more exploring, something I found a tad tedious in 3. The story, inasmuch as I've completed, is better written with more fleshed out characters and doesn't take itself as seriously as in the previous. I liked the conversation you have with the radio host about bidets. :)

While some weapons pique the interest, a lot of them are a bit meh, but maybe that's a lack of creativity on my part, going for my default loadout of a sniper rifle, shotgun, automatic rifle and/or bow. I do like the grenade launcher and have used that in chasing down the 3 truck convoys, slinging it one handed as a side arm from a quad bike.

Is it me or do the vehicles handle a bit more wildly when only steering with one hand while wheelding a weapon with the other?
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.55 In reply to 42251.54 
The geography of the world map was obviously lazy, though it's always going to have a waist if they want to prevent players from opening up the whole map too soon. I agree about the side missions, some of which are self-contained campaigns in themselves.  And yes, the characterisation is stronger (especially Pagan Min, who I regard as one of the great fictional media baddies of recent years).

I don't know Nepal, which I think Kyrat must loosely be based on, but I know Himalayan Pakistan well (I grew up there), and they've got the geography, architecture and atmosphere spot-on (at least in the rare moments when the shit isn't hitting the Punka).

My typical loadout's not a million miles from yours: silenced sniper rifle, LMG with expanded clip, grenade launcher & bow. Shotgun replacing the bow when I know there's going to be a shedload of close combat as in, for instance, a skirmish in a large building.

I hadn't noticed the vehicle handling thing, which would obviously make sense; but then, my in-game driving's lousy at the best of times.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.56 In reply to 42251.55 
What age did you leave Pakistan and did you come to England from there or go elsewhere first? Having the Himalaya on your doorstep must have pretty damned awesome.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.57 In reply to 42251.53 
FC3 constantly nags you to carry on the missions with a tedious phone call from your handler each time you launch it, until you have 'finished' the game [missions]. FC4 doesn't, and I'm at a loss how to resume, though I've been engrossed in side missions to this point. I don't consider this bad, it's just a radical departure in focus.

I'm finding I can easily make >50% of my enemy kills with the bow, by methodically sneaking around the periphery of the action. The fire arrows make taking out heavies very easy (haven't tried the explosive ones yet except on rhinos, where they had no discernible effect) My loadout is generally all suppressed/silent (sniper rifle, "warrior" assault rifle, "stinger" smg + bow). I have used the "D2" (double-barrel sawed off shotgun) and "cannon" (magnum revolver with optical sight) sidearms, they can be effective in CQB, though the "stinger" surpasses both and is often undetected, unlike the two loud bangers. I've also used the suppressed m4 battle rifle, it is much more accurate than the assault rifle though of course less useful in panic situations.

There's considerable variety in the side missions and most are easy enough to complete two or three during an hour session. I suppose that means they aren't very challenging.

There are ample surprise challenges though, ranging from wandering wildlife to enemy counter-attacks on captured outposts, which can be a real challenge with the wrong loadout (must remember to make better use of exploding & fire arrows, and replenish body armour).

Steering vehicles is dicey on a good day.

Scenery is still awesome. Now I've done all the outposts and bell towers in the first part, I'm itching to move on to the second (haven't essayed any forts as yet).
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.58 In reply to 42251.57 
Isn't the current campaign mission marked on the map? With a letter in the symbol? Or am I confusing FC4 and Skyrim, which is perfectly possible.

I never much bothered with explosive arrows, but fire arrows are very handy.

Graphitone: my folks did a sort of early Voluntary Service in Pakistan, firstly in the mid-late 60s up in the garrison town of Murree (about 30 miles from where the US finally caught up with bin Laden), and then two years later in Lahore.  This is where we lived.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42251.59 In reply to 42251.58 
I reviewed a walk-through, apparently I've done more than I realized, because there's not a whole lot of difference from outpost captures and side-missions (go to a place, kill everything in sight, rinse, repeat).

I'm up to the first Longinus mission (I think). I keep seeing an "L" in the heads-up display (among arrows pointing every which way), so I reckon I should go towards it (?)
“Santa told them to get the fuck out”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80  …  201–211

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats