Games (inc Online)Legends of Shitty Game Graphics

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
https://www.gog.com/game/indiana_jones_and_the_infernal_machine
“Faith Goldy is polling at the same level as the guy in every local election who dresses up as a Wizard and promises to build Hogwarts. The only difference is that Faith smells worse than that guy, and Faith is a Nazi.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42236.2 In reply to 42236.1 
It does look crap.

Does it play any better?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.3 In reply to 42236.1 
It's all relative.  I remember the moment in 1998 when you burst out of the Quake-like corridors at the start of Unreal and found yourself in a vast, open landscape.  The truth doesn't tell the story:

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
42236.4 In reply to 42236.3 
I got Unreal as part of the free thing that Humble or GOG or some other site did.

Weirdly it runs like an absolute dog on my system. I'm sure it's some graphics driver issue, but I've not got around to sorting it yet. :C
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42236.5 In reply to 42236.4 
Its day is done. It's 20 years old and looks every day of it. Go directly to Far Cry 4. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42236.6 In reply to 42236.2 
 :-/ Didn't buy it, didn't try it.
“Faith Goldy is polling at the same level as the guy in every local election who dresses up as a Wizard and promises to build Hogwarts. The only difference is that Faith smells worse than that guy, and Faith is a Nazi.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.7 In reply to 42236.5 
I've found some more cool FC3 stuff: there's an airbase that figures in the story missions towards the end, perma-populated with enemies you can go and kill, pick up ammo and first aid kits, cash and trinkets. Bonus: on the way over there's a small lake perma-populated with alligators you can kill @$358 a shotgun blast with the 'two hides from one dead critter' skill, and tigers cavorting in a nearby field @$220 a pop. So I got me a nice LMG maxed out with marksman sight, muzzle brake and extended clip in a coupla days, and had me a real nice Heavy massacre with it (there were at least 6), some nades and molotovs.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.8 In reply to 42236.5 
Some older games can look pretty good - especially if they were good enough to warrant modding. I'm in the middle of playing the original Deus Ex again (haven't played it for yonks). There's a number of mods that add better renderers, higher-res textures, and some that go through and add a bit more clutter and variation to the maps. Sure it still looks pretty old , but not as bad as you'd expect.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
42236.9 In reply to 42236.8 
Yeah, I've picked up Deus Ex as well. With the tweaks it still looks OK and gameplay bears up. Likewise, the fan-made-Valve-adopted re-skin of Half Life (I can't wait for the VR edition of HL2, by the way).

I wish someone would have a go at Nomad Soul: there's so much that could be optimised for modern graphics.  It was a great game, in parts.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.10 In reply to 42236.7 
Crytek/Ubisoft have tended to leave a cash-cow base and/or background level of spawning for completists to acquire all weapons & customisations.

Primal gets the economy wrong - it's too easy to get everything and keep it topped up. 3 & 4 get it about right.  5 is mean, particularly when the scripted gameplay has finished: but then they've introduced a micropayment system and want you to pay real money for shit that doesn't exist.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.11 In reply to 42236.9 
Black Mesa was great, and it wasn't just a re-skin, they tweaked a few things from the original game too. :)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.12 In reply to 42236.10 
Crytek has come in for some criticism, apparenlty justified, that FC releases are all just reskins of the same, basic premise. Still, it's a pretty hefty premise.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.13 In reply to 42236.12 
True and true.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.14 In reply to 42236.9 
Deux Ex Mankind Divided is on humble sale for five bucks https://www.humblebundle.com/store/deus-ex-mankind-divided

Sewerlie tempted...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.15 In reply to 42236.14 
Is that the third in the franchise?  I think I got it as a freebie with a graphics card, but didn't venture into it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.16 In reply to 42236.14 
Just ventured onto Humble through your link.  Zanzarah at £0.59!  My youngest, Charlie, was absolutely passionate about that game.  I could never see the appeal; it's like Pokemen with fairies. But the rendering of the wood in the bits between looked wonderful at the time and for several years after.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.17 In reply to 42236.16 
I may have got the original deux ex many moons ago, but it was some kind of cut-down version (IIRC) and didn't really grab me, or pull me away from GRAWF which I played obsessively for ~7-8 years (because so many fabulous mods; the unmodded game was pretty limited), and only stopped when I installed Steam which disabled it for some reason. That was a fucking long sentence.

The preview of this one looks considerably more interesting graphics and action -wise.

Edit: oh wait, that was half-life.  :-$
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42236.18 In reply to 42236.15 
Mankind Divided is the fourth and most recent Deus Ex. To be honest, it is a good game and follows on well from the third Deus Ex (Human Revolution). Biggest issue with Mankind Divided is that there aren't enough levels and it feels like "half a game", plus it kind of ends rather abruptly and in the middle of the plot.

It's got the feeling about it that they designed a new game and thought "we can make more money if we cut it in half and sell both halves separately". Problem is that the shortness and high-cost of it meant it didn't sell well, so now they've put plans for another Deus Ex on hold.

Saying that, it is still a good game and worth trying (especially as it has a proper save system and doesn't rely only on a CRAP "checkpoint" system like so many other modern games). I also really enjoyed Human Revolution - especially how much sneaking and silent takedowns play their part. It's possible to complete the game without killing anyone apart from the bosses, and I always liked how you got a bonus for completing a level without a single bad guy seeing you.
---

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
42236.19 In reply to 42236.18 
 :-) On the basis of that, I'll buy it!

I did buy it!  :-O~~~
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Jesus H. Christ. I bought this game just over a month ago, and completely forgot about it until I reviewed this thread.  :-((
“Brexit is a uniquely British story of political backstabbing, hubris and incompetence spawned by factional disputes within the ruling Conservative Party”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats