HardwarePi install

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  graphitone      
42216.50 In reply to 42216.49 
If I'm understanding what you want to do there is a pin available on the RPi to reset the board/power. Connect a button, press it, and it'll act a soft on type button by resetting the RPi from its shutdown state.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42216.51 In reply to 42216.50 
Ah, that'd be damned useful, providing it's somewhere between 1 & 10 and isn't 5!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.52 In reply to 42216.51 
It's totally separate. It's called "run". Different location on different versions of raspberry pis but the newer ones have it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.53 In reply to 42216.52 
Found this which seems useful, I'll have a read before bed:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=218600

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.54 In reply to 42216.53 
That's the one. When you momentarily connect Run to Ground it resets.
On previous models the pin next to Run was also ground, so you could just use those two pins. But on the latest 3B+ (?) the pin next to Run isn't ground, so you need to use a ground on the GPIO header. Which can be any, even if it's used by something else. Ground is ground.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.55 In reply to 42216.54 
Brilliant. Yeah, the GPIO ground advice is on that site too.

Now I just need a 2 pin header and some soldering skills. :/
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.56 In reply to 42216.55 
It's a doddle. But understandably daunting if you don't solder much. You can probably buy a big bag of headers on ebay for 99p.

Watch a few video tutorials on soldering headers. Bluetack is useful.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.57 In reply to 42216.56 
Ok, I dug out an old circuit board from a long unused modem and found a set of headers on there that I could remove. I watched a lot of youtube videos on soldering and unsoldering and have discovered that many americans can't pronounce solder. Preferring to leave the 'l' out and making it 'sodder'. :|

Anywho, after a bit of practicing, I unsoldered them, took two out and soldered them onto the Pi. It's not the neatest or straightest, but they're in.

The circuit does work, I've just got to test it now with the whole thing assembled. :)

Edit - Yay, the software switch powers it off and the push switch powers it back on. It's working, but there's room for improvement, but that can all be done later, for now it's something I can give to the builders and say stick this in the wall for me.

I wonder if you can script anything on that Run pin... If that can be used to shutdown/sleep the Pi, that'd be ideal.

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Thanks for your help with getting this far PB and Ant. Tonight's job is getting the momentary switch hooked up. It's got 4 poles and didn't come with a wiring diagram, so a little more experimentation is taking place. :)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
The kitchen project is continuing, albeit slowly, which is why I've not updated this for a while. If anyone's interested in seeing what it's like let me know and I'll post a link to a google drive file with pictures of how the whole thing's going, but although the Pi is working it won't be installed for a good few days as yet.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.60 In reply to 42216.59 
I want to see.
“restaurant sues TV chef Gordon Ramsay, claims ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ scenes ‘fabricated’”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42216.61 In reply to 42216.60 
Alrighty then. Concept art at the top of the folder, which is what it all should look like by the end of this week. :)

linky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.62 In reply to 42216.61 
Where's the pi thingy?
“restaurant sues TV chef Gordon Ramsay, claims ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ scenes ‘fabricated’”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.63 In reply to 42216.62 
It's in a box at the moment. The electricians are doing their 2nd fit this week, so it'll go in then. It's going to sit above the work top where they've put a clock on the 3d drawings. There's 3 double power sockets going along there and it'll sit above the middle one. The power leads are going to go to a double socket hidden in the cupboard underneath, so we won't have any cable clutter. The screen and case I've got don't have an easy way of mounting it all into a recess, so I've got a tablet mounting bracket kit; all it contains is 2 small U shaped bits of plastic that screw into the wall and you drop your kit into them.

The screen needs the protection of the case I've got it mounted in, but it's only ~5mm thick, so isn't going to stand out too much. I would have preferred to have it flush in the wall or something like this, but that's hideously expensive for what it is.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.64 In reply to 42216.63 
O.M.G. that is expensive. A flat screen with a case to fit a back box and not much change from £500 with tax. Couldn't you put something together with a screen like this and an ordinary back box from Screwfix or somewhere? 

And having reread your post, that's pretty well what you're doing, almost.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42216.65 In reply to 42216.64 
Just had another look at that Amazon ad. If that's a 7 inch touch screen then that's a teeny weeny hand.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.66 In reply to 42216.65 
Of Trumpian proportions.

The only issue I think we'll have is that the gubbins on the back of the Pi sticks out a fair way at the back and I'm going to have to (for want of a better expression) "roll" it into the brackets, then slide it down into them, so the hole in the wall is going to have to be bigger than it needs to be.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.67 In reply to 42216.64 
Or just buy a netbook...

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/c/laptops-and-netbooks?sortOrder=1
“OxyContin Billionaire Patents Drug To Treat Opioid Addiction”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.68 In reply to 42216.67 
 :'C
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42216.69 In reply to 42216.68 
Would that even work, or would you need arduinie connection bits?
“OxyContin Billionaire Patents Drug To Treat Opioid Addiction”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80  81–92

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats