GeneralChecking my cache

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
A site I visit has changed its style of presentation to a horrid all white glaring mess. The change seemed to happen on different browsers at random with most people hit straight away. I can still see the old style on Chrome on my desktop PC though, so I suspect that I have some cached data or style sheet that is being allocated ahead of the new one. This seems especially likely as when I view the site in an incognito window I get the white version.

As a web novice, does anybody know how/if I can identify specific cached files that the site is using? It would be nice to tuck them away somewhere to see if I can make the old style more permanent before they expire.

Edit: never mind - found it.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42156.2 In reply to 42156.1 
So did you have to dig into Chrome's cache, or did you just view source on the stylesheets?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42156.3 In reply to 42156.2 
The chrome cache on my desktop has a different version of the .css file to the one on my laptop. I know next to nothing about web page coding and even less about mucking about with the cache so my chances of ever substituting the old file for the new are slight.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42156.4 In reply to 42156.1 
Open developer tools/inspector and click somewhere on the page, or an element in the html (<div>, <p> or whatever). Under "rules" it will tell you from which file it is pulling the styles for the selected dom element.
“It is surprisingly easy to sell snake oil”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42156.5 In reply to 42156.4 
I found what I needed using about:cache, extracted the file with chromecacheview, copied the text by opening it in Chrome and finally pasted the text into Stylebot as a new CSS to get my old view of the site back.

Little things please little minds.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42156.6 In reply to 42156.5 
Your second response is exactly what I was asking for.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42156.7 In reply to 42156.6 
Well, I got there in the end.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–7

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats