HardwareOnce upon a time

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42134.81 In reply to 42134.80 
I agree with Ant. If you're struggling to afford it, personally I'd drop the RAM to 8GB (tbh) and go for an SSD. RAM is easy to upgrade in the future, and you'll get a faster and more responsive system in general out of an SSD/8GB RAM than you will from a mechanical HDD and 16GB RAM.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
42134.82 In reply to 42134.81 
75 bucks still won't buy much ssd here. What slows me down isn't booting or launching programs (both which I do infrequently), it's swap thrashing. So a small SSD might "feel" faster out of the box, I'm not sure that would translate into significant time savings for actual productive use moreso than lotta ram. I can wait for ssd prices to fall more before making the plunge.
“Reptilians Rule the World, Moon Landing Was Fake”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.83 In reply to 42134.82 
Why not get a small SSD and have that solely as a scratch/swap/page file area then?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42134.84 In reply to 42134.83 
I would do that if I was going to keep my current, 2GB pc. For the stuff I do, 16GB it will rarely hit swap.

Anyhoo... PHEW! I was all set to wrap up the order, when I happened to notice the Athlon X4 processor was listed as "socket AM4". The selected motherboard is AM3+. X-S (the motherboard spec said it was compatible with "Athlon" processors)

The good news is, I found an AM4 mb that supports twice the memory (32G DDR4) and I can get a single, 16G stick for a bit more than 2x8G DDR2 (which would max out the other board). Also, AM4 is Ryzen compatible (for future upgrades).  (dance)
“Reptilians Rule the World, Moon Landing Was Fake”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.85 In reply to 42134.84 
Is there still a benefit from running two sticks for a dual channel speed improvement?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.86 In reply to 42134.84 
Ah, the pitfalls of incompatible hardware.

I like this site for getting around those:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

It'll continually whittle the parts options down to only those that are compatible depending on what other kit you initially choose.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42134.87 In reply to 42134.85 
Yeah maybe. OTOH if I want to max out the memory later, that's ~$200 in the bin.
“Florida Man Disguises Himself in Bull Costume as He Tries to Burn Down Former Lover’s House With Pasta Sauce”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.88 In reply to 42134.86 
I'm usually pretty careful about buying new parts. I've been caught out by cannibalized parts (latest was trying to put "mac" memory in a pc, which is 1 notch off). Oh yeah, also had to put a new PSU into my case upside down.
“Florida Man Disguises Himself in Bull Costume as He Tries to Burn Down Former Lover’s House With Pasta Sauce”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.89 In reply to 42134.88 
I think part picking has come a long way, it's easier now than back in the day of Pentium 4s having specific RAM, DIP switches and the murky waters of setting IRQs for sound cards.

There are still a few gotchas, but there's a ton more resources to check you're getting it right.

Speaking of all this, I'm planning a PC upgrade for the missus. Custom PC this month featured an AMD APU build for under £400. I might hang on a month or two though, as they suggested you'd need to flash the motherboard's EFI to get it to recognise the CPU. Newer builds of the board should already have that in place. Not that I'm adverse to doing these things myself, but it keeps the onus on them to get it right and saves any returns/customer service hassle should the update go wrong for me.

Not got the parts list with me at work, but I'll see if I can find it tonight.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.90 In reply to 42134.89 
I was playing with part pucker last night and it gave that warning for rysen CPUs and mobos needing flashing.

The worrying part is that it said that in order to do the flashing, you'll need to have a different, recognised CPU installed to be able to do it :/

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Placed the order after giving MrsD. a heads up. By waiting a day I saved another 5-bucks on the GPU! Now I've got to figure out a case (there are a couple of candidates home), and a Windows. Looks like I'm going to have a busy Easter.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
42134.92 In reply to 42134.90 
Something to do with spectre/meltdown?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.93 In reply to 42134.90 
I've wondered that too. It's totally useless. If you've got a suitable CPU you're probably not looking to upgrade.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.94 In reply to 42134.93 
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/amd-sending-out-free-processors-to-solve-firmware-flashing-catch-22/
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.95 In reply to 42134.94 
Thought that might be an Onion article for a second.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.96 In reply to 42134.90 
Yep, that was part of the article too, get some parts off a friend and flash it that way - I didn't read it properly though, and hadn't realised you needed a different CPU to get it done. That's a bit of an arse then. :C

Also, where can I get that part pucker game? It sounds most appealing.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.97 In reply to 42134.95 
The AMD page says you can also RMA the motherboard.

Apparently they send the 'flashing' cpu without needing a credit card. Wonder how many of those they'll be seeing back...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.98 In reply to 42134.97 
Ebay will be flooded.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.99 In reply to 42134.98 
Speaking of which wait for the impending collapse of the bitmining economy...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.100 In reply to 42134.92 
Think just more to do with incompetence.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  41–60  61–80  81–100  101–120  …  141–145

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats