Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42134.121 In reply to 42134.120 
:'(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.122 In reply to 42134.118 
Ah, perhaps you just need the right key to download it then. I didn't know you needed that for the download, you don't need anything to download 8 or 10. I guess piracy was probably more of an issue with 7 (because people actually liked 7...)

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42134.123 In reply to 42134.121 
Sorry, it's not funny (except in the context of Russian bots). Brexit could still be derailed if this fraud/overspending thing sticks.
“It is surprisingly easy to sell snake oil”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
42134.124 In reply to 42134.122 
I dreamed last night I couldn't figure out the bios (I looked at some screen shots yesterday) or get the Win 7 installer to boot.  :-@

But, assuming that nightmare doesn't come to pass, it looks like Fedora (my preferred Linux) should be installable on UEFI just as Ant said: https://www.tecmint.com/install-fedora-27-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/  :-D
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
42134.125 In reply to 42134.122 
Plus don't forget Microsoft was giving away Win10 - they more their malware spreads, the better (for them).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.126 In reply to 42134.123 
Whilst the Tories are in control, the only way it could stop is if it they see a better way to keep themselves in power whilst creating a weakened and fractured society. Leaving the EU still hands that to them far better than staying.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42134.127 In reply to 42134.126 
There's a sizable faction that are agin', so if they vote with Labour (assuming Corbin allows it), it's game over.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.128 In reply to 42134.127 
Vote what when?

Tories aren't stupid enough to force another early election knowing what they're up against.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
All the stuffs here plus a couple of parts I bought locally, including a PSU and dvd-drive.

I decided not to cannibalize my current pc in case the build goes south. I got a cheapo PSU (coolmax v500) then for a reality check ran the salient parts (MB, PSU, GPU, RAM, OS) through part pucker, and (amazingly) it all checked out as compatible. Fingers crossed for really old (>15-years) case and dodgy Win7 key.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42134.130 In reply to 42134.128 
Stay with the tour.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.131 In reply to 42134.129 
We need photos of this build!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42134.132 In reply to 42134.131 
I'll use my cheapass 1MP phone cam. Main concern at this point is mb standoffs.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

So I'm booted into my new system and (apparently) all systems are go after considerable faffing around with power connectors. It wouldn't power on at all until I figured out 4-pin cpu power plug good, 6-pin bad (the receptacle is for 8). And after that mighty binge, I owe Mrs.D some quality time. Um, with beer and all. Maybe not top quality, then.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.134 In reply to 42134.133 
Are you testing the system before you whack it all in a case, or have you completed the build already? Just wondering 'cos you mentioned the mobo standoffs being an issue.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42134.135 In reply to 42134.134 
No, the standoffs were fine (I  had to move one). Turns out this really old mid-tower case is kitted up for mATX mbs as well as full ATX, which surprised the hell out of me. I had a problem with the power led and internal alarm speaker plugs being too big to fit the mb front panel connectors, but I figured they are non-essential. When the system wouldn't power on at all I thought the front power switch was busted, and I tried shorting the pins but that didn't work either. Then I checked the PSU with a paper clip and it powered up, tried plugging and unplugging the main 24-pin atx power connector several times, thinking it wasn't seated properly (I was really afraid I'd shorted out the mb during assembly with a dropped screw or 3). I was at a loss when I remembered reading that the 4-pin cpu power plug worked in an 8-pin receptacle. There's no documentation on the 6-pin plug at the coolmax spec page (not even mentioned, just the 4, the 24 and assorted SATA and molex connectors), maybe it's for a GPU? Probly essay Win7 tomorrow. Took a while to figure out the freaky new UEFI bios. You have to spec 'legacy' for an mbr-formatted hdd, when I did that it booted into pre-installed Fedora no prob.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.136 In reply to 42134.135 
Pretty sure I've got an pin connector for my GPU.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
42134.137 In reply to 42134.136 
I know some do, mine doesn't.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.138 In reply to 42134.137 
There was supposed to be a 6 in my message but my phone ate it.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.139 In reply to 42134.135 
Shirley the 8 pin connector is for the CPU and the 6 pin supply is for a graphics card.  At least that's what I thought but Google suggests that some boards use the 6 pin connector for a CPU as well. My mobo (Gigabyte Z97x plus some letters and numbers) has an 8 pin connector. The CPU is an i5 Haswell chewing through 88W.

Linustechtips.com tells me that a 4 pin connection supports 155 watts and is intended for CPUs with low to mid-range greediness. An 8 pin connection supports 235 watts and is intended for hobs, room-heaters and the like. You should be absolutely fine.

never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Whelp, Win7 key 'sgood
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  81–100  101–120  121–140  141–145

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats