HardwareOnce upon a time

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  koswix     
42134.118 In reply to 42134.117 
OK, whatever. Instructions that came with the key said you couldn't use an OEM key to download an ISO from MS (you have to enter a valid RETAIL key to download), and to download the ISO from google drive instead. So I did, and when y'all started hollering about bots and whatnot I ran a shasum on the iso using MS's own hash and it matched. I guess I'll know in a few days if it's any good.

Your link you talks about using a COA for Home Premium key on a retail Home Premium disk, not an OEM Pro key on a retail Pro disk. So there's that.
“It is surprisingly easy to sell snake oil”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.119 In reply to 42134.117 
Joined a botnet when he didn't even need to. He'll be expelled as a Russian diplomat shortly.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42134.120 In reply to 42134.119 
Hahaha. Enjoy your Brexit. Hahaha!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42134.121 In reply to 42134.120 
:'(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.122 In reply to 42134.118 
Ah, perhaps you just need the right key to download it then. I didn't know you needed that for the download, you don't need anything to download 8 or 10. I guess piracy was probably more of an issue with 7 (because people actually liked 7...)

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42134.123 In reply to 42134.121 
Sorry, it's not funny (except in the context of Russian bots). Brexit could still be derailed if this fraud/overspending thing sticks.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.124 In reply to 42134.122 
I dreamed last night I couldn't figure out the bios (I looked at some screen shots yesterday) or get the Win 7 installer to boot.  :-@

But, assuming that nightmare doesn't come to pass, it looks like Fedora (my preferred Linux) should be installable on UEFI just as Ant said: https://www.tecmint.com/install-fedora-27-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/  :-D
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.125 In reply to 42134.122 
Plus don't forget Microsoft was giving away Win10 - they more their malware spreads, the better (for them).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.126 In reply to 42134.123 
Whilst the Tories are in control, the only way it could stop is if it they see a better way to keep themselves in power whilst creating a weakened and fractured society. Leaving the EU still hands that to them far better than staying.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42134.127 In reply to 42134.126 
There's a sizable faction that are agin', so if they vote with Labour (assuming Corbin allows it), it's game over.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.128 In reply to 42134.127 
Vote what when?

Tories aren't stupid enough to force another early election knowing what they're up against.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
All the stuffs here plus a couple of parts I bought locally, including a PSU and dvd-drive.

I decided not to cannibalize my current pc in case the build goes south. I got a cheapo PSU (coolmax v500) then for a reality check ran the salient parts (MB, PSU, GPU, RAM, OS) through part pucker, and (amazingly) it all checked out as compatible. Fingers crossed for really old (>15-years) case and dodgy Win7 key.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42134.130 In reply to 42134.128 
Stay with the tour.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.131 In reply to 42134.129 
We need photos of this build!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42134.132 In reply to 42134.131 
I'll use my cheapass 1MP phone cam. Main concern at this point is mb standoffs.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
So I'm booted into my new system and (apparently) all systems are go after considerable faffing around with power connectors. It wouldn't power on at all until I figured out 4-pin cpu power plug good, 6-pin bad (the receptacle is for 8). And after that mighty binge, I owe Mrs.D some quality time. Um, with beer and all. Maybe not top quality, then.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.134 In reply to 42134.133 
Are you testing the system before you whack it all in a case, or have you completed the build already? Just wondering 'cos you mentioned the mobo standoffs being an issue.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42134.135 In reply to 42134.134 
No, the standoffs were fine (I  had to move one). Turns out this really old mid-tower case is kitted up for mATX mbs as well as full ATX, which surprised the hell out of me. I had a problem with the power led and internal alarm speaker plugs being too big to fit the mb front panel connectors, but I figured they are non-essential. When the system wouldn't power on at all I thought the front power switch was busted, and I tried shorting the pins but that didn't work either. Then I checked the PSU with a paper clip and it powered up, tried plugging and unplugging the main 24-pin atx power connector several times, thinking it wasn't seated properly (I was really afraid I'd shorted out the mb during assembly with a dropped screw or 3). I was at a loss when I remembered reading that the 4-pin cpu power plug worked in an 8-pin receptacle. There's no documentation on the 6-pin plug at the coolmax spec page (not even mentioned, just the 4, the 24 and assorted SATA and molex connectors), maybe it's for a GPU? Probly essay Win7 tomorrow. Took a while to figure out the freaky new UEFI bios. You have to spec 'legacy' for an mbr-formatted hdd, when I did that it booted into pre-installed Fedora no prob.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42134.136 In reply to 42134.135 
Pretty sure I've got an pin connector for my GPU.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
42134.137 In reply to 42134.136 
I know some do, mine doesn't.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  61–80  81–100  101–120  121–140  141–145

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats