Music, Film, TV & BooksTwin Peaks original series twr

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Manthorp     
42119.21 In reply to 42119.20 
Hmmmm.

I'm all for the well-established practice of leaving a story open: allowing unanswered questions to remain with the audience so that the world of the story lives on. But. In my opinion, breaking off at the end of episode 8 would have been a serious breach of trust between the programme makers and the viewers. It's fine that some stories leave a mystery in the air that can be speculated about forever, but by episode 8 no plot lines had been resolved at all. 

I think that making 8 episodes of what would essentially be a piece of performance art, seeming to follow the pattern of a TV series but never intending to complete a story arc, would be a piece of self-indulgence.

In fact, something like Twin Peaks is bound to leave unresolved issues anyway. It relies on a kind of mysticism and magic (several) and the point of magic is that it isn't magic if it can be explained. 
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.22 In reply to 42119.20 
Damn, Now I really want to see the first season. I remember at the time it a) had very high ratings and b) was described as a nightime soap. Seasons two and three (1990-91) was where things got really weird, Lynchian you might say, and ratings plummeted. Pretty much all original story lines were resolved in FWWM, though it opened new ones (mainly: what would Evil Coop do?).
“hooliganism comes to lawn bowling”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42119.23 In reply to 42119.22 
No no no, 1990-91 is just season two. It had trouble with the network (and ratings) though which made for some weird inconsistency. 

As for Evil Coop, get ye to Season 3! Where there's not been any real limits on what Lynch wants to do with weirdness.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Ooh: I just checked the library catalog online and, while there are no Twin Peaks seasons, and an over-abundance of stupid (ghost-written?) fan books credited to Mark Frost, FWWM DVD is on order, with 12 holds already placed on it. Meaning my (13th) hold will probably come up in 3 or 4 months.  (dance)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.25 In reply to 42119.24 
crikey, have you heard of a thing called bittorrent? It's usually quicker than that!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42119.26 In reply to 42119.25 
Not on our network. It's not like I desperately need to see in next couple of hours either.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.27 In reply to 42119.14 
OK, having now watched all of season 1 and 2 again, I think I see what you're getting at. I disagree that they should have ended after the first 8 episodes (7 plus pilot) as leaving all of the plot lines open would have been very unfair on the viewers and, I think, unsatisfactory. However, now that I've had a read around some of the contemporary accounts, it does seem that they (Lynch and Frost) gave in to pressure from ABC, the main customer, and threw in a resolution to the main Laura Palmer story-line far sooner than they originally intended. The effect was that many of the mystical, magical elements were also banged out in a far faster and unsubtle manner than they should have been. This gave a rushed feel to the whole Laura Palmer arc of 10 episodes. Worse still, it closed the main story-line and left them 'flapping about' without a story to tell. 

So, they quickly improvised a truly awful sub-story involving James Hurley and his encounter with an older femme fatale in a framed-for-murdering-the-husband trap. Not only was this boring and unoriginal cluttering the programme up with unnecessary characters, it also involved James Hurley whose whole reason for being in the series was to provide some Rebel Without a Cause background colour to the Laura Palmer story. Hence, James Hurley was probably the only character so wholly made of cardboard that he shouldn't have been picked for his own adventure. His mother's pointless bout of amnesia (with hilarious consequences) was similarly pointless and ought never to have happened.

Things get back on track with Windom Earle and the Black Lodge. The central group of characters are strong enough to carry this through, but at this point it's far too late. Having meddled in the direction early on, ABC took a look at the ratings and declined to purchase future episodes - effectively killing the show. It's a shame really. Without the tight Laura Palmer murder story, the directing of the middle-episodes in particular looks slack, with some of it having all the gravitas of an extended Batman adventure.

Starting Season 3 tonight.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)      
42119.28 In reply to 42119.27 
True-story*: I sat a couple of seats over from Windom Earle in a pub once. The demon just radiated evil, I mean I fully expected him to up and behead one of the other patrons with a steak knife. But no, he just sat there smirking, all innocent-like.

*ish
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.29 In reply to 42119.28 
Assuming you mean the actor Kenneth Welsh, then yes, he does have the kind of face that holds a kind of sinister appeal in just about every photo I've seen of him (and Google images is quite extensive).

Watched the first disk of the third series box-set last night. Highlights included evil Coop, who gets all the best lines so far, Lucy the receptionist who has clearly spent 25 years in cold-storage and the violent death of a temp-technician and a lady who appeared with no vest, at the (hands?) of a malevolent thing that materialised in a glass box.

Lowlight was what appeared to be a roughly ball-shaped lump of bread dough perched in a leafless, twiggy, indoor tree. That spoke. And had an evil doppleganger. It may have claimed to be the one-armed man's arm.

For much of the opening disk, two episodes back to back, I felt like I was at one of those reunions where you try to recognise old faces.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.30 In reply to 42119.29 
The only other thing I remember having seen him in was as Watson in a Sherlock Holmes series. I probably wouldn't think he has/had an evil face per se, except for Windom Earle.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.31 In reply to 42119.29 
haha, the tree bit made me laugh so much.

Has James Hurley showed up for you yet? He's still almost exactly as good at acting.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.32 In reply to 42119.31 
Yeah, I think I glimpsed him in a bar scene staring at the laydees. He was doing his best grown-up wistful acting. Surprised that bad-boy Bobby Briggs (pardon my alliteration) is now a fed. Watched most of Disc 2 last night but other-half fell asleep on the settee so will watch again tonight. Pleased to see with episode 3 that Lynch has remembered everything he learned from Eraserhead. Also he seems intrigued with the idea of bare women every so often.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42119.33 In reply to 42119.31 
Quote: 
James Hurley may refer to: James Hurley (Twin Peaks), a fictional character from the television show Twin Peaks; James Francis Hurley, English murderer; James R. Hurley, Southern New Jersey politician and gambling regulator

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
42119.34 In reply to 42119.33 
Well, that's the 3rd series done.

After a 25 year wait the bastards have done it to me again.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–34

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats