Music, Film, TV & BooksShape of Water

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
This is (I think) the third Guillermo del Toro film I've seen,not counting two Hellboys, the first two being Pan's Labyrinth (captivating) and the aptly-titled Crimson Peak (crimson as in blood-drenched). This one's quite different and features some of the lyricism of Pan, very little horror (the monsters are all human), and extensive stylish and humorous quotes from past eras in Hollywood and early television (it even has a clip from Mister Ed!). Well worth seeing. A cat is eaten.
“Professional disagreement over how photos of galaxies are interpreted escalates into bullying & harassment”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Quote: 
not counting two Hellboys

Interesting conceptual link to Hellboy (dunno why this hadn't occurred to me before):

https://screenrant.com/shape-of-water-hellboy-prequel-connections/

(may contain spoilers)

“Professional disagreement over how photos of galaxies are interpreted escalates into bullying & harassment”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Very Stable Genius (DSMITHHFX)     
42097.3 In reply to 42097.2 
I haven't seen it yet, but what did surprise me was just how many of his films I have seen, without doing a sort of GdT fanboy thing: at least not intentionally. Apart from Shape of Water, I haven't seen Mimic (I don't think I've seen it. What I watched late at night in a drunken stupor as a feckless youth doesn't count) and a couple of his very early short pieces.

I really like the way that he isn't shy of handling both really serious philosophical/political ideas and super-popular blockbuster stuff, and mixing the two up. For my money he does it much better than many others.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42097.4 In reply to 42097.3 
I guess I forgot (or never knew) he did Mimic. So that would be the first GdT film I've seen. Interesting to compare his approach to Tarantino, who possesses a similar mastery of film vocabularly and history, yet seems unable to transcend his own penchant for silliness.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42097.5 In reply to 42097.4 
I kind of agree. Pulp fiction is almost completely sure-footed but there are just a few points where he gets carried away. For instance, the adrenaline shot is very funny but belongs in a different film because it just manages to overdo the implausibility - it breaks the (admittedly silly) science of Pulp Fiction's world. It would be fine in Kill Bill. 

On the other hand, I kind of disagree, in that I like his silliness and it's quite useful in films like Inglourious basterds.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42097.6 In reply to 42097.5 
Yeah, I like his silliness too, but it is a limitation.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42097.7 In reply to 42097.6 
I also like his silliness to friend.

APPROVED: 17 Jan 11:02 by MILKO

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–7

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2018 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats