GeneralStar Trek Collectables

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
My son's birthday is in January and I know he has a small collection of these little Star Trek models. They don't shake my world, but it's what he likes. So I saw this https://forbiddenplanet.com/236933-star-trek-discovery-figure-collection-magazine-1-uss-shenzhou-ncc-1227/#product-description

But what I want to know is what am I actually getting if I pre-order this for him? The ad is vaguely worded. I think I am getting ONE copy of the FIRST edition in a series of models with accompanying magazine. This looks to be USS Shenzhou. Any Trekky Collectable collectors able to shed light?

Personally, my spider being-ripped-off senses are twitching. Why is USS Discovery No 2? Will people look at this and be fooled into thinking they get the whole series for that price? Is 'hand-painted' supposed to be a good thing? I assumed it was because they didn't expect to sell enough to tool-up for automated painting. Either that or these things are always hand-painted anyway. Do I want to commit him (or me) to spending  ££££s for the set?
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42087.2 In reply to 42087.1 
Looks like you're only 'committed' to buying the one.
“Police Got A Tip About A Dead Horse On A Farm. But When They Arrived, What They Found Was Far Worse”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42087.3 In reply to 42087.2 
Commitment comes in many ways and some of them are more pressing then simply signing up to a subscription.

Honestly, what worries me more is that (having seen a few) they aren't worth what they cost. They're not as fantastically well made as the ads suggest. That said - he seems to like them and I suppose I should put my mean curmudgeonly nature to one side.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42087.4 In reply to 42087.3 
Is this the only thing in the world he likes?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42087.5 In reply to 42087.4 
I believe so.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42087.6 In reply to 42087.5 
Checked second-hand shops?
“Police Got A Tip About A Dead Horse On A Farm. But When They Arrived, What They Found Was Far Worse”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42087.7 In reply to 42087.5 
He seems to like cats as well.

Find out which series/captain is his favourite, and in which aspect(s) is his interest strongest - the universe/setting, the technology, the characters, the story, etc?

There are plenty of more practical Trekkie-themed items available - for example stackable Enterprise coasters, a Star Trek cookbook, a biography of his favourite character, Star Trek themed Monopoly, and if he really does like cats...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42087.8 In reply to 42087.7 
He does like cats.

Come to think of it, he likes Battlestar Galactica (both series). Maybe something from one of those.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42087.9 In reply to 42087.1 
Not sure if he'd care, but those new models are at a different scale to the older ones so might look odd as part of the same collection.

Also: How fecking much?!? 8-O

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
42087.10 In reply to 42087.9 
Well, yes. That's something I've been wondering. A shitty little lump of badly cast iron with a 10p plastic stand, marginally better than drops out of a Christmas cracker, costs nearly £35. Then there's the Battlestar Galactica stuff. A Plastic construction kit of the kind I used to make as a kid now costs £20 to £30 unless you get the slightly larger USian one at £77+

I just thought that as Discovery is new and all that it might be fun.

For the cost of a full magazine subscription I could get him a ticket to Toronto and a tour of the studios where it's made - Hmm. Mr. Smith could put him up, perhaps.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42087.11 In reply to 42087.10 
It's a lovely time of year to visit...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–11

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats