GeneralWhat Celebrities Have You Met And Were They Nice?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Inspired by Manthorp's Robert Winston thing. Tell us!

I met PJ Harvey once. I was a bit overwhelmed to be honest, she'd just put on what remains the best gig I've ever seen. Anyway, she was very nice and we had a nice chat for five minutes in the bar afterwards.

David Pleat (who does football commentary and used to be a manager and stuff) doesn't always lock the bathroom door, so I've kind of 'met' him by mistake.

I've got a few other football ones but they're pretty dull even compared to that. Jonathan Pearce who also did commentary for Robot Wars etc isn't particularly polite or friendly even when you help him out, going by the time I lent him my laptop to research a stat before a match.

Who else. Hm. I met one of the guys who writes Red Dwarf. Whichever one it is that still does. Doug Naylor? We did the website for a bit, shortly before we went bust. Anyway, he was fine too. Had Kryten's head in his office.
milko
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
42068.2 In reply to 42068.1 
I sat a couple of seats over at the same table as Kenneth Walsh at The Pilot during one of their Saturday jazz matinees. I think he might have known the musicians (Robi Botos IIRC, I did have 5 pints. Actually no, it was Kirk MacDonald)

I didn't actually meet him, though I shouted and lunged at him waving my drinks coaster and a pen, and pursued him outside into the traffic, until his bodyguard held me for the police (I made that part up).

Colin Farrell went to my co-worker's yoga studio while he was shooting a movie here.

Bruce Springsteen did a book signing in a mall, leaving a half-hour before I came through to buy beer.
“Developer makes luxury living more affordable”
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42068.3 In reply to 42068.1 
Well, accepting that P J Harvey is quite celebish, I'll pitch my reply at the general level of the thread so far. I knew Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols, Rich Kids, etc. quite well at art school in the 70s. At the same place I got to know Chris Burke who does Lenny Henry's book illustrations and did the same for Dawn French's diary thing recently. Still chat with him from time to time. 

Pushing the notion of celebrity to its limits, I went out with Sarah Toulalan when we were at Southampton University*. She's now a Professor at Exeter University and appeared as an expert on sex in Lucy Worseley's documentary series Harlots, Housewives and Heroines. I like to think that I had a little something in that. By coincidence, although I have never met Lucy Worseley, she went to my school (only about 20 years after I did).

I write a bit - you know, like Grandad and his watercolours - so I've met quite a few famous authors at conferences and festivals etc. but between 5 and 30 seconds of 'Hi, nice to meet you' doesn't really count.

*yes kiddies, in that pre-Blair paradise that was the UK of the 70s, I got a grant both for art school and university. So in your face.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42068.4 In reply to 42068.3 
Quote: 
I like to think that I had a little something in that.

YJ?

I've met Robert Llewellyn and Axel Scheffler. Axel is the spitting image of my father in law, not just in facial features, but how they dress as well. It was very weird walking into the event and seeing what appeared to be my father in law signing autographs at the head of a very long queue.

I met a man last year who has worked on the muppet show and was a puppeteer for Kermit the Frog.

And less impressively (if that's possible) I've been quite close to John Sentamu and had a personal response letter from Philip Davies. :C

Oh and one of my brothers in law was the bass player in a band that played Reading and Leeds festivals the other year. They're called Man Can't Fly and they had a pretty big following. Well, round here at least.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
42068.5 In reply to 42068.4 
Quote: 
YJ?
Just my point
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42068.6 In reply to 42068.1 
I bumped in to (possibly ran after, the memory is hazy) actor Ian Kelsey, probably about 12 years ago after a night out in Manchester. I didn't know his name at the time, just recognised him off the telly. I had a camera on me, there is a photo, he wasn't happy about it.

Edit: good memory, turns out it was indeed 12 years ago for my 18th birthday night out.

I met Tony Fernandes (AirAsia, then Lotus Racing, now QPR owner) after I won a competition on Twitter from him to go to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Which most will probably remember since I posted on here about it. He was great, really nice guy, very welcoming and made sure I had plenty of the food and champagne. It was a brilliant trip. Along with him I was briefly around F1 drivers Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen. Plus any other famous person in the paddock, including Simon Pegg, though no conversations were had.

I've got a feeling there's someone else worth mentioning, but can't remember, so they can't be all that memorable.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
42068.7 In reply to 42068.6 
Quote: 
Simon Pegg

He was just in my living room, performing Shaun OTD the other night. We both got very drunk.
“Developer makes luxury living more affordable”
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42068.8 In reply to 42068.3 
I recently had a very brief chat with Glen Matlock, after he did a gig in Paisley, just down the road from where Trig live[s/d].

Other musicians I've had vaguely sensible chats to include:
Mike Watt (Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Iggy+Stooges, punk bass legend and personal hero)

Grant Hart (Husker Du - sadly died fairly recently)

Ron Asheton (Stooges - sadly died a while back)

Gordon Gano (Violent Femmes - nearly made a total arse of myself, but I think I recovered)

Man Or Astroman? (insane but lovely and very accommodating (no John))

J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr - not one for smalltalk)

Alan Sparhawk (Low, Retribution Gospel Choir - I keep bumping into him/Mimi at their gigs and giving them little nods, but eventually had a longer chat after an RGC gig in a tiny venue in Glasgow)

Justin Currie (Del Amitri - we discussed tour riders, bendy straws and Mariah Carey)

The Wrens (one day they'll release a new album, and everyone will know who they are)

Dylan Carlson (Earth - a load of us tried to get him along to a noise/drone gig the next night, but he didn't show)

Melissa Auf Der Maur (Hole - a load of us tried to get her to the pub, but she didn't show)

Also, I think the time that Afrirampo gave Milko and I pizza and beer is a personal lifetime highlight, but sadly they don't get on Top of the Pops much these days.

Not really met many other celebs, and I'm rubbish at spotting them when I'm travelling. Biggest regret was the time I saw Tom Baker (The Doctor) waiting for a train - I was late, and in a hurry to get to work, but on reflection, I should at least have attempted to get him to prank-call my Dr Who-obsessed girlfriend.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42068.9 In reply to 42068.8 
Well, that's an impressive list.

It's 42 years since I last spoke to Glen Matlock although, by coincidence, while I was chatting with another friend who happens to cut hair, Glen Matlock actually called him for an appointment. 'That was your mate Glen Matlock' said my friend. 'He's not really my mate', I replied, 'we haven't spoken for 35 years'.

That wasn't especially interesting, so here's some irrelevant gossip to pad the post out. Mark, my friend, used to work in Smile in the Kings Road, where he was known as 'Stan' because they already had a 'Mark' when he started in 1973. I recently discovered that 'Stan' had left his wife and daughter to take up, as the expression has it, with a Trinidadian lady with whom he intended to run a bar in Trinidad. Now Stan knows nothing about business apart from how to cut hair and how to take cocaine. Consequently it was no surprise that the lady from Trinidad, together with her brother, scammed him out of all his savings and disappeared. I did not feel particularly sorry for Mark/Stan who is something of a feckless chap. I do, however, have a lot of sympathy for his family.

To answer the second part of Milko's original question, Glen was a very pleasant and personable chap when I knew him. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
42068.10 In reply to 42068.8 
Also, I note from the Telegraph that Afrirampo reformed last year - so there's some hope.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42068.11 In reply to 42068.1 
What level is the bar at, because I've met myself and I'm nice, but my avenue of fame is like a small dark alleyway so you're gonna say it doesn't count. :(

My brother has done locally-famous artworks and was who the local radio had on to talk about when a Banksy piece appeared. He's also nice. Probably even more nice then me. And he's actually met real celebrities like Jim Moir.

Oh and my sister is an accommodation manager type person at an animal reserve place and has a couple of times greeted proper A-list celebrities who stayed there, but I can't remember which ones because, well, who the fuck cares who they are, they're just bloody people that are no better or worse or nicer or naughtier than every other person except they get the honour of being stalked constantly just to make rich arseholes richer by telling everyone what those people are doing every fucking moment of their lives. :@

:<

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
42068.12 In reply to 42068.11 
Deep breaths BP.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42068.13 In reply to 42068.11 
Alt title: "What Celebrities Have You Met And Did They Grope You And/Or Masturbate On You"
“Human Mini-Brains Growing Inside Rat Bodies Are Starting To Integrate”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Alt title: "What Celebrities Have You Met And Did They Grope You And/Or Masturbate On You"

Haven't met any celebrities but it has been known for a long time that in both the music and movie industry you have to be one of the two religions allowed in Hollywood, and abuse of women in those industries has been wide spread for as long as the entertainment industry has been around.

Look at the Kesha fight with sony - she can't even get the courts to force sony to change her manager to "anyone else but this guy".  In any other industry even the hint of that sort of stuff would be an easy win lawsuit.

Listen to the Heart song "Barracuda".  Pretty obvious what she is talking about.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

42068.15 In reply to 42068.11 
Take it to the celebs your family have met thread! I agree you are nice though. Everyone gets to set their own fame levels for what qualifies, this is a happy thread.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I met Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac, I had no clue who he was and made him push his own car onto a transport trailer when he said it would run long enough to load itself and it didn't run at all.

It was a small 2 seater volvo and I have nothing bad to say about him, there was no "do you know who I am" attitude at all, just got on with it.

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I’ve not met anyone famous, except, years ago, I was in a video store to rent a VHS tape and the TV weatherman, who was pretty well known in these parts, and a bit elderly at the time,  walked in (the other Canadian on here might remember him – Dave Devall). The person with me said “how’s the weather Dave”, and Dave told us to “Fuck off”.

That's all I got  (fail)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Linn (INDYLS)     
42068.18 In reply to 42068.17 
Better than our local famous weatherman (Fred Talbot), he's now in prison for indecent assault against children.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Linn (INDYLS)     
42068.19 In reply to 42068.17 
Yeah I remember his face after watching this. There was also a CTV news anchor we called "Steve Couchpotato", but I can't remember his real last name now.

“Human Mini-Brains Growing Inside Rat Bodies Are Starting To Integrate”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
42068.20 In reply to 42068.19 
Lol, I googled "news anchor Steve Couchpotato" but no luck.  Maybe you remember Tom Clark - I think he is still on CTV. When he first started on the air, he used to stumble over his words so we used to call him Clom Tark. Well, actually we still do.  :D
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–45

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats