GeneralArms

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  milko     
Mike, what's occurring? At the risk of face-in-glue are they actually shaving an arm shorter?
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
42019.2 In reply to 42019.1 
Haha.

Right. My right shoulder is very prone to dislocation. So was the left one but 20 years ago I had an op on it and that fixed it. I guess they've both always been slightly hypermobile but one bigger impact to start it off (in this case a mountain bike crash in 2013 where I fell about 8 feet or so) makes it weaker. I did a lot of physio work to try and stop it from reoccurring, but it kept on doing it and each time it gets more likely to happen again. I've recently done it while throwing a stone in the sea, and by simply lying down and stretching of a morning. I can relocate it myself/it kind of does it on its own, apart from that very first time. Hurts like absolute fucking hell every time, and I've a reasonably high pain tolerance. Anyway, they agreed to operate but after doing the arthroscopy (stabbing a camera into the back of the shoulder, pretty much) and looking around have determined that there is too much bone damage (blunting/denting to the ridge around the socket and to the ball joint) for a mere soft-tissue repair to work.

This means I have to go back in for a bigger procedure where they take some bone from elsewhere in the shoulder and screw it to the bit that needs it more. I find out more about that in a couple of weeks. Should mean trading some mobility for security, hopefully not too much. And then some rather painful recovery and a shitload of physio.

20 years ago the 'easy' op was open surgery but now they would have done the whole thing keyhole. Alas, not to be so I suppose I'll have matching scars soon.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42019.3 In reply to 42019.2 
(((Milko))) mostly armless.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

42019.4 In reply to 42019.2 
Ouch.

Glad it's just my fingers that dislocate (also hypermobile, oddly, with short arms). I just drop things.

It means something to Owen
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Gobfounded (YVE)     
42019.5 In reply to 42019.4 
MY ARMS ARE NOT SHORT PYFITG :D

I can't imagine fingers going is fun either!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–5

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats