Music, Film, TV & BooksAlien: Covenant

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
It's OK as a part of the Prometheus series, but not a very good Alien film.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Voltane     
41950.2 In reply to 41950.1 
I quite liked Prometheus despite its flaws and not being nearly as good as the originals. Dunno if I'll pay a theatre ticket for this, or wait for the dvd to hit the lieberry and watch on the small screen.
“Pot stinks, alcohol only stinks when you bring it up!”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.3 In reply to 41950.1 
Those looking for the tight, B-movie thrills of Alien and Aliens are sure to lose interest, whereas if the baroque pomposity of the series’ later instalments appeals, David’s ludicrous self-aggrandisement is sure to strike a chord.

So, basically, if you liked the first two, maybe not, but if you preferred Alien Resurrection, then y~ WAIT A MINUTE - NO ONE PREFERS THE LATER FILMS TO THE FIRST TWO!!!

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
41950.4 In reply to 41950.3 
Yeah.

Movies that play with things that people are scared by, such as being isolated, at risk of something terrifying, betrayed, basically-being-physically-hurt-in-a-really-shitty-way, have an easier job because it's easier to tell an authentic story if you're playing with genuine worries. Movies that ponce around with clever ideas that make the director look like a really-smart-individual often fail because - well - they're not that good and people aren't (always) stupid.

Alien: fabulous movie. Near perfect horror where Giger's genuinely brilliant monster designs pushed buttons in an otherwise conventional but excellently directed scary movie.

Aliens: OK - we'll allow you to exploit the original and admit that the sequel has a few flashes of its own scary goodness

Alien version n+x hmmmmmm, err Guys? 

Prometheus: better on second viewing, or maybe third. Sad that the best I can say is 'it isn't as SHIT as Interstellar'. The most significant philosophical thought that it inspires in me: 'I wonder if it cost about the same as Interstellar to make.'

never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
41950.5 In reply to 41950.3 
I really like Alien3. Possibly as much as the first two.
But yes, Resurrection wasn't very good.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.6 In reply to 41950.5 
We had an Alien box set binge sometime last year, but I'm now struggling to remember details - what was the deal with the white alien thing in Resurrection? Was that an alien/human hybrid?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
41950.7 In reply to 41950.6 
The thing that ate Brad Dourif's head and got sucked through a wee bullet hole into space while uttering a bone-chilling screech that brought a tear to mommy's eye? That was the test tube progeny of Ripley and an alien.

Oh and for all you doubters, Resurrection is fucking awesome. You will never be as cool as Resurrection. Deal with it.
“Pot stinks, alcohol only stinks when you bring it up!”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41950.8 In reply to 41950.7 
Yes.  :-Y
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Watched this 'til the last ~half-hour last night (MrsD. doesn't like to sleep on gore, whereas it has no effect on me).

I liked it on about the same level as Prometheus and BR2048, that is: entertaining Ridley Scott cash cows, but not really ground-greaking stuff in 2017.

I am enjoying the ruined city/fort where the evil 'droid and minions hold sway. Also the spaceships fyling about. Really good cgi.

We'll (probably) watch the ending tonight, not expecting any surprises (and no, I've not seen any spoilers or, if I did, they weren't memorable).
“Human Mini-Brains Growing Inside Rat Bodies Are Starting To Integrate”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.10 In reply to 41950.9 
I don't blame her. I'd prefer to go to sleep on a clean bed instead of sleeping on gore.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41950.11 In reply to 41950.10 
So we switched to a Frost season 4 episode about a serial killer who battered and murdered old ladies in their homes.
“Human Mini-Brains Growing Inside Rat Bodies Are Starting To Integrate”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.12 In reply to 41950.11 
Haha, definitely more suitable bedtime viewing :)

Similar to wifey here, watches loads of stuff about murderers and serial killers and crazy people, but wonders why I watch Air Crash Investigation when people die in it.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
41950.13 In reply to 41950.4 
Finally got round to watching Alien: Covenant. Not as bad as I imagined, but not well edited or directed. Strange unlinked scenes such as the couple getting jiggy in the shower just so we can have a gory death and a bit of chest-without-vest. The whole thing felt as though Ridley Scott had sat around after Prometheus wondering where to take the story and then 'ooh, ooh, I know!' he suddenly decided to make David a baddy. Throughout Prometheus Fassbender had portrayed David as a good robot Bishop type character, so it was odd to have him as an bad robot Ash type character.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.14 In reply to 41950.13 
I thought dave the droid went rogue at the end of Prometheus.

Also covenant has a good dave and a bad dave (the old dave) and they get into hella fight, the bad dave prevails but we're not sure which he is, and we know how that turned out.  :-@
“It’s amazing to think that the world’s most powerful man managed to press the wrong button”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.15 In reply to 41950.14 
Well, now that I've gone and watched Prometheus again he does get a bit splashy with the goo in Holloway's drink

And, well, sort of. I think I was pretty clear that Dave had squashed Walter at the end. 

It was too totally telegraphed if you'll pardon my alliteration to be a clever twist.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.16 In reply to 41950.15 
Yeah it was pretty unsurprising. I suppose a sequel [/prequel] will also be unsurprising. RS must be getting on...
“It’s amazing to think that the world’s most powerful man managed to press the wrong button”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41950.17 In reply to 41950.16 
Well, Fassbender is 40 now and if they want to avoid the Buffy/Angel problem (supposedly teenage-forever vampires with wrinkles and a bit of middle age spread) for their immortal robot, they'd better get a move on with the next one
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–17

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats