War & PoliticsGeneral Election

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Dave!!     
41931.21 In reply to 41931.20 
What's the feeling up your way as to the future of o&g? A few people I've been speaking to are hopeful the deep water stuff will become more viable soon is, but no one seems too positive.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
41931.22 In reply to 41931.21 
Honestly, it's mixed. The O&G industry has had to do a lot of cost cutting, but there's still money in it, and GE's business is still running OK up here, albeit with a lot of cutbacks, cost-cutting and unfortunately job losses. The problem is that as long as the money in Oil remains low, the viability of a lot of the more difficult sources is limited due to the costs involved. Of course, people more closely involved in these matters will know a lot more than me! I just make sure their IT infrastructure works properly.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
41931.23 In reply to 41931.22 
The place I'm at laid loads of folk off last year, but a new contract outwith o&g means things are starting to pick up again. Sadly they're now relying on volume of work to make up for the terrible money they're getting from non o&g :(

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41931.24 In reply to 41931.3 
I live n Blair's old seat, with the current incumbent having somewhat dickish tendencies, so I'l pobably vote green, if they stand, simply because it won't make a jot of difference, but nor will I be saying, yeah, have my wholehearted approval.

It means something to Owen
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Completely forgot about this thread... Looks like everyone got it wrong about Corbyn, or rather we assumed that May would not do her level best to make him a relatively appealing alternative. I think that the Conservatives+UKIP will still win, albeit with a diminished majority.  :-@ Sure hope not.
“The future of our planet depends on Donald Trump watching Sharknado 5”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41931.26 In reply to 41931.25 
Diminished majority?
It will likely be an increased majority unfortunately.

A few rumours of government prepping for a hung parliament, but it won't happen. We'd need the 18-24s to turnout, and they won't to anywhere near the levels required for a surge of non-Tory votes.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41931.27 In reply to 41931.26 
I'm not optimistic about the outcome. Neither am I surprised that Corbyn came over better when he was actually shown in person. speaking, than all of the UK media, including the supposedly liberal papers portrayed him in the lead-up to campaigning.

I think it's difficult to get the extent of this across. It's the constancy of the narrative and the way that it's infiltrated so comprehensively through all levels of our media that is jaw-dropping. For example, the BBC has prided itself on impartiality over the years and championed this view of it's reporting. So it should - it's a publicly funded service. In practice, over the last 20 years, there's been something of a split, with news journalism taking a distinct position that you might call left of the Tory party but Right of the Labour party, with many of the entertainment areas, from documentary to comedy being rather more left-leaning. This is a broad-brush description and there are many counter-cases. However, over the last 5 years plus, the news journalism has shifted sharply to the right and this has been especially noticeable in reporting of Corbyn and those working with him and for him in the Labour party and beyond.

Techniques include: 1) almost never broadcasting his appearances or directly reporting his words. Instead, a BBC journalist will summarise these and it is this summary that will subsequently be discussed as the news. On one occasion, following the resignation of a Shadow Cabinet member, instead of reporting what the party had to say on the matter, the BBC asked Laura Kuenssberg the BBC political editor 'What will the Labour Leadership be thinking?' She supplied an answer (from her openly right-wing perspective) and this formed the basis of the subsequent 'news' report  2) the ambush. This is done to all politicians from time to time, but it is noticeable that it is done on almost EVERY interview with a Labour politician. Invited to discuss one topic, they will be confronted with, say, an interview given by Corbyn a few years earlier on another topic. This will be stripped of context and chosen to embarrass.  3) focus. The BBC focus has been firmly in line with the Tory Campaign. By focusing on issues that the Tories wish to headline they keep these issues firmly in the public eye. Thus Corbyn's past relationships with the IRA and Hamas are constantly discussed (unlike the numerous Tory party contacts with parties in the conflicts) whereas his policies on, say, re-nationalisation of the railways by not renewing contracts when they fall due (which is a very popular policy) are never discussed. Similarly, discussion will centre on where various Labour luminaries stand on the 'political spectrum', on supposed funding errors in their manifesto, on criticisms of them from the Tory Party and so on - things that are either never mentioned, or mentioned in passing, during reporting of the Tory Party. 

The list is endless and there is so much more that I suspect that many BBC journalists no longer realise that they are doing it - and it's often the simplest of language choices. One I recall was a report that the Tories hoped to win a local election whereas the Labour Party aimed to seize power. Other instances include persuading a one of Corbyn's shadow ministers to resign on air during a political discussion show timed to embarrass him during the Prime Minister's Questions parliamentary session. Then again there was an interview between Kuenssberg and Corbyn which she subsequently edited so that it appears he is answering one question when in fact he is answering a wholly different one that she removed. It gave the impression that he disagreed with the use of fire-arms against terrorists such as in the Paris attacks, and this was broadcast on the BBC's prime news slot at 6 in the evening and included a subsequent commentary from Kuenssberg contrasting this false representation of his views with Theresa May's. Incidentally, in case you think the BBC gives a damn or worries about being found out - the BBC's own trust organisation ruled that this interview broke guidelines on impartiality and accuracy but guess what? It's STILL up there on the BBC website and the BBC STILL use it in news discussions as though it's a model of unvarnished truth.

So I won't be shocked by a Tory majority. I think it's sad that somebody who seems rather incompetent and dishonest, and who's instincts are authoritarian and self-serving will probably be Prime Minister again. I think it's both sad and sickening that Insurance brokers including May's husband are slavering at the opportunity to relieve old people of family homes, just as private health care providers are delighted by the new source of income that her proposals promise. I'm incredibly lucky. I have a decent pension and own my home. I can afford to help my children out with rent and the occasional 'bonus'. I'm also acutely aware that they would struggle without this and I feel very sorry for those who now have to face more of the cold wind of Tory austerity in order to fund that tiny elite who grow ever more distant and out of sight at the end of society where all the wealth is piling up.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
+3/3
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.28 In reply to 41931.26 
Yeah, that was poorly worded. What I meant was: less of a majority than she was originally projected to take.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.29 In reply to 41931.26 
Also: THIS IS YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!  :-O~~~
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.30 In reply to 41931.29 
He's catching me up.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
41931.31 In reply to 41931.27 
That is a really good post. Thanks. For what little it's worth!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I voted.

A friend of mine, however, hasn't been able to. He registered to vote and got a confirmation email but no polling card. Went to the polling station and he's not on the list.
Rang the council and his application was put to some department that "on the basis of information he gave in his application" was denied.
He's not got a criminal record and through admin errors has served jury duty twice.
So you can decide who is a murderer or not but still might not be allowed to vote!

I've told him to get in touch with the papers. Especially as they couldn't even give a reason as to why he's not been put on the list.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41931.33 In reply to 41931.31 
Nah - I'm just some sort of slack-jawed commie liberal. I think I need to stop thinking about this stuff for a while and be a bit more positive. 

The BBC has always been split which means that the Play for Today dramatists found a home at the same time as the News Service was supporting the status quo and music editors were banning records. I do feel quite sad about the collapse of any sort of strong independent, investigative journalism in the BBC. They really have merged into a kind of Times/Telegraph flavour with a bitter seasoning of Kuenssberg bile. Perhaps I'll stick to re-runs of Cheers.

Incidentally, while I write this I'm watching the election night programme on ITV (we're flipping around) and Gerry Adams is being interviewed. They've totally screwed the video feed so his voice is several seconds out of sync leading to the hilarious effect that his words are still being voiced by an actor.

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.34 In reply to 41931.33 
Actually that was very well put. Anyhoo the Guardian says exit polls are pointing to a hung parliament -- presumably meaning too close to call. Well, that was unexpected!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Voltane     
41931.35 In reply to 41931.32 
There seems to have been several of these fuck-ups. The Newcastle-under-Lyme result isn't in yet but it's a marginal and at least 50 voters have turned up with voter registration cards who aren't on the lists. Same in Plymouth, Sutton and Devonport where the council not only screwed up the voting lists but also postal votes and the current Tory majority is 523.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.36 In reply to 41931.34 
I'm always on tenterhooks about these things and I can't trust myself to believe good news. I won't relax until the results are all in.

That said, I have my fingers crossed for Hastings just along the coast from me where my son lives. It's the Home Secretary's constituency and she appears to have called for a recount - which means she must have lost the first count. Apparently the local Labour party are very happy which suggests we aren't looking at 1 or 2 votes difference.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.37 In reply to 41931.36 
She held, but only by 346. That would have been a huge loss.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.38 In reply to 41931.35 
Our constituency held as Tory, but by about 365 votes.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41931.39 In reply to 41931.36 
I was very very surprised this morning!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Well, I didn't see that one coming!

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–62

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats