TechnicalDead computer

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
41869.20 In reply to 41869.19 
Dead drive. It's been running for weeks (maybe longer) from memory. I'm been able to vnc to it, use the console for ssh and open a file in geany. Anything else it was throwing "file system read only" errors. When I tried to reboot today, bios shows nada for hdd. It's MrsD.'s old refurb HP SFF desktop (with original, 20GB drive) that she had for a few years and I set it up as a server about 4-years ago.
“Hillary received more votes for president than any white male in U.S. history. Including Donald Trump.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41869.21 In reply to 41869.20 
Important stuff backed up?

I learnt my lesson a while back and I'm glad to use CrashPlan
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.22 In reply to 41869.21 
This server had nothing important on it. I've only used it to ssh from plus some light webdev for at least a year.
“Hillary received more votes for president than any white male in U.S. history. Including Donald Trump.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Another try this morning before I was going to take it all back to the place I bought the parts and it's working again. I certainly don't trust that PSU so I'll be buying a new one.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.24 In reply to 41869.23 
You bought said parts fairly recently?
“Nerd Watch": an organization dedicated to preventing world domination by nerds
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.25 In reply to 41869.24 
April 2015. So not too long ago, but well outside a 12 month window if that's what guarantee I have. The PSU has a 3 year warranty though, but how I go about proving an intermittent fault, I don't know. For around £40 I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to claim.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.26 In reply to 41869.25 
Bummer. I started shopping for a replacement drive and noticed I can get a 128G solid state for about the same as a 500G spinner (which capacity might be nice to have, but I sort of don't really need atm).

Tempting...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.27 In reply to 41869.26 
Also tempted with an SSD for the server boot drive. As well as for my laptop and normal PC. Also tempted with a new laptop.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.28 In reply to 41869.27 
The drive is definitely dead. I stuck a usb adaptor on it. First try I could hear it spinning up, but it was not recognized by my main pc. Then it just stopped spinning. I remembered why I'd only been using the server as an ssh and scanner slave over vnc: it's an HP dx5150, and not the dc5750 as I'd hoped (MrsD's replacement model). SATA1, DDR1... not really worth any upgrades. I can get a 160GB pull drive for $16. That's about what it's worth. Ho hum. I do have an athlon x2 that I might stick in it to replace the 3200 x1. No harm in that I guess, if it posts.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.29 In reply to 41869.28 
My issue with old computers like that is the power consumption - that's if energy use is a concern to you. Looks like the AMD 64 3200 in that system possibly has a TDP of 89W depending on the generation. Though if you have the parts spare I guess it's still cheaper to spend that small amount more on electricity for a couple of years than buy something new and low-power.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.30 In reply to 41869.29 
We don't pay separate electric, it's included in the rent.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.31 In reply to 41869.30 
Well in that case, who cares!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41869.32 In reply to 41869.31 
Well, we do turn off the AC in winter...
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I ordered a used drive online I won't be seeing for a week, so when I got home I discovered a 6-7 years old 500G under a pile of rubbish, stuck it in and installed ubuntu 16.04 lts to it. I was a bit amazed it recognized the full size of the drive. Odd problem, when it goes to sleep in power-saving mode (must remember to turn that off) I can't seem to wake it up again with mouse or kb, it needs a hard reset (with no reset or poweroff button*, this means pulling the plug from its superior NA-style wall socket). This happened with the live dvd and now booted off the hdd. Maybe there's some bios setting needs looking at.

Edit: before turning it off last thing last night (still unable to wake it up), I checked the psu fan at the back and it was blowing really, really hot. So that's something to look at.

Edit II: So I RTFM, and it turns out holding the power button down for 4-seconds is supposed to power it off, and (if asleep) just punching it is supposed to wake (this did not appear to work yesterday).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–33

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats