Games (inc Online)Steam Link

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Anyone got one?
Any good?

As someone who doesn't really play games, but feel like I should, would this be worth getting for £16 to bring gaming to the living room?

I've got an xbox 360 that never really got much use, and an Ouya that got even less use.

Oh, and it's only going to be useful for controller games.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41859.2 In reply to 41859.1 
But of course Anthony, you can create your own with a raspberry pi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/stream-pc-games-to-your-tv/

I think I'll try that first. Then realise the games I might want to play are only on Windows. So I need to install Windows.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41859.3 In reply to 41859.2 
I admit I've been curious to see how games would look on a retro 27" motel monster colour tv (really shitty youtube?), but probably not enuf to make it happen.
“Hillary received more votes for president than any white male in U.S. history. Including Donald Trump.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Tried the Raspberry Pi version, but that only works with Windows installations of Steam.

So, I bought a Steam Link. It nearly works with Linux, but there's definitely issues. Time to install Windows and therefore read up on how not to destroy my Linux install in the process. Grub has never been my friend.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41859.5 In reply to 41859.4 
Depending on which version of Windows, you may be able to boot from a live cd/dvd or usb thumb, chroot into your linux and reinstall grub over the mbr. Otherwise the best way is to install windows first, and then linux.
“Hillary received more votes for president than any white male in U.S. history. Including Donald Trump.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41859.6 In reply to 41859.5 
Yeah, Windows then Linux is definitely the best way. Or the even better way is a separate hard drive and just use the BIOS boot list to pick the right drive.

I think what I need to do is create a separate partition formatted to NTFS. Let Windows do its business. Use a LiveCD/USB as you say and sort grub out with that. Looks like there's a nice program "boot-repair" that does all the magic for you.

I think a backup of my home directory is advisable beforehand!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41859.7 In reply to 41859.1 
Are you thinking of getting rid of the 360? If so, what would you want for it? I keep half an eye on eBay lists as I'm trying to snaffle a cheap one, but keep getting outbid.

I should probably put more than a tenner down up front.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I've split the partition, installed Windows 7, and the steam link works far far better than with Linux (shock). Just been trying Dirt 3, no idea how demanding it is but it's running smoothly with pretty much no lag. That's over wifi for the steam link too (5GHz, possibly AC).

PC spec is
Core i5 2400
4GB RAM tbhx2
Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I take that back, it just jumped for second and I ended up in a tree :$
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41859.10 In reply to 41859.9 
Maybe twitch games like that are best suited to wired connections.

You want something more sedate.

:|
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–10

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats