War & PoliticsThe US Presidential Election 2016

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
41828.61 In reply to 41828.6 
I didn't visit here during the "event" because I figured it would be you lot against me.

Quote: 
Is it really just a giant douche vs a turd sandwich?

Pretty much.

I will tell you though, I voted for Trump. Not so much for him as against her corruption.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
41828.62 In reply to 41828.61 
You're probably right there, but it still good to see the opposite view if it's properly justified.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.63 In reply to 41828.61 
One thing is for sure: the next four years will be fascinating. I think he may stabilise relationships with Russia (though at the expense of the people of Syria, Georgia and the Ukraine).  I think he will increase domestic inequality, which is good if you are in the higher income brackets. Having said that, if he does actually introduce international trade barriers it's just possible that he may raise blue-collar pay packets, though at the cost of higher prices and inflation.  Russia notwithstanding I think he will be a disaster for the international standing of the US.  I'm sure that he will erode the rights of any citizens who aren't male, heterosexual and/or white.

Buckle in! 

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Interesting one:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
41828.65 In reply to 41828.64 
Quote: 
Trump made gains among blacks. He made gains among Latinos. He made gains among Asians. The only major racial group where he didn’t get a gain of greater than 5% was white people.

I think this is (or may be) misleading. From what I understand the black voter turnout was considerably less than for Obama, so although Trump may have got a higher percentage of votes cast by blacks than Romney, this in itself does not indicate heightened black enthusiasm for Trump (don't know about Latinos/Asians).

Most voters vote straight along party lines regardless of the candidate(s), so the key to winning elections is to get your side to actually turn out and vote. Hillary failed at this, but perhaps the outcome was preordained anyway:

Quote: 

Allan Lichtman says he can predict the outcome of any U.S. presidential election. He often does it months or even years ahead of time. Oh, and his predictions have been right in every presidential election since 1984.

But Lichtman, a distinguished professor of history at American University, doesn’t use polling, demographics or sophisticated analysis of swing states. He makes his predictions based on 13 true/false statements that he says indicate whether the incumbent party will retain the White House or lose it in a given election.

Lichtman and Russian scientist Volodia Keilis-Borok came up with the keys — a series of true/false statements — in the early 1980s. The idea is that if more than half of the keys are true, the incumbent party will stay in power, and if more than half are false, the challenging party will win the White House.

The keys, which are explained in depth in Lichtman’s book “Predicting the Next President: The Keys to the White House 2016” are:

1. Party Mandate: After the midterm elections, the incumbent party holds more seats in the U.S. House of Representatives than after the previous midterm elections.
  2. Contest: There is no serious contest for the incumbent party nomination.
  3. Incumbency: The incumbent party candidate is the sitting president.
  4. Third party: There is no significant third party or independent campaign.
  5. Short-term economy: The economy is not in recession during the election campaign.
  6. Long-term economy: Real per-capita economic growth during the term equals or exceeds mean growth during the previous two terms.
  7. Policy change: The incumbent administration effects major changes in national policy.
  8. Social unrest: There is no sustained social unrest during the term.
  9. Scandal: The incumbent administration is untainted by major scandal.
  10. Foreign/military failure: The incumbent administration suffers no major failure in foreign or military affairs.
  11. Foreign/military success: The incumbent administration achieves a major success in foreign or military affairs.
  12. Incumbent charisma: The incumbent party candidate is charismatic or a national hero.
  13. Challenger charisma: The challenging party candidate is not charismatic or a national hero.

“I think Trump is nuts, but I’d love to have him as a president to see what happens” -- Edward Tucker, Ohio
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41828.66 In reply to 41828.65 
>the key to winning elections is to get your side to actually turn out and vote. Hillary failed at this

I agree with that, yeah.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
41828.67 In reply to 41828.64 
OK, so what about Hillary Clinton?

Is it possible that the problem with Hillary Clinton is that she is Hillary Clinton? For all of the Trump analysis, how about some good analysis on HRC as a candidate, person, politician.

For all the support she got from the media and the star-power types, she should have been a shoo-in. Katy Perry, Bruce Springsteen - hell, Madonna promised oral attention to males who voted for Clinton (she swallows and maintains a lot of eye contact, according to her).

For those who criticise Trump on having no plan: Well, Hillary has no plan, because her plan is Obama's plan and the Obamas and the Clintons HATE each other.

Isn't it possible that Hillary's loss is all her own fault?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.68 In reply to 41828.67 
I blame Putin, Assange, Comey, and ~60-million idiots who, due to acute and irreparable mental impairment induced by bad education and the media, can't really be held responsible.

Clinton was a deeply flawed candidate, no question.
“Duck Dynasty” will end next year.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Also
Quote: 
Hillary has received more votes for president than any white male in the history of the United States. Including Donald Trump.
“Duck Dynasty” will end next year.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.70 In reply to 41828.69 
I heard on the radio last week that she received about 500k more votes than Trump but just looking now and it could be as much as 2.5 million more than him.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41828.71 In reply to 41828.70 
Yep some folks are calling for a recount/audit -- there's also been allegations of vote tampering.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/22/politics/hillary-clinton-challenge-results/index.html
“Hillary received more votes for president than any white male in U.S. history. Including Donald Trump.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.72 In reply to 41828.71 
It will really only be a valid story if Martha Raddatz reports it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.73 In reply to 41828.72 
Why?
“Hillary received more votes for president than any white male in U.S. history. Including Donald Trump.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.74 In reply to 41828.73 
It was mostly a joke. Did you happen to see Raddatz's sobbing election night? Ridiculous. 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.75 In reply to 41828.74 
I don't watch tv.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

USAians of Teh
How do you feel now about the Trump Presidency?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.77 In reply to 41828.76 
nobody rushed back to answer that, did they?

From where I'm sitting it seems like a complete farce, but one where Trump's supporters are largely staying supportive and ignoring any criticism as "fake news". They've just revealed their (shit) replacement for ACA is called "World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017". Even North Korea might think that was a bit too silly.

Meanwhile I'm seeing much of the same collective dumbfuckery on this side of the Atlantic over Brexit so hey, it's not like I want to throw stones or anything.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41828.78 In reply to 41828.77 
Quote: 
World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017

(fail)  (fail)  (fail)  (fail)  (fail)  (fail)  (fail)  (fail)  (fail)  (fail)

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41828.79 In reply to 41828.77 
I came back to this thread the other day to ask that question, forgetting I'd already asked it. Very quiet.

But her email server!!

US Vice President Mike Pence 'used a private email to discuss security issues – and it was hacked'

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41828.80 In reply to 41828.79 
Ha, if that ever wasn't clearly an excuse, there's been enough from the new administration to prove it a few times over.

I don't really understand how we collectively managed to get this stupid.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80  81–85

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats