GeneralDistro/WM/DE-medo

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  af (CAER)     
41816.21 In reply to 41816.20 
Updating servers is a pain in the arse. But obviously necessary. I know you get several years of support with stable versions of Debian/Ubuntu/etc. but at the end of that period you still have to do a full upgrade which never goes well. I currently lean towards just using Debian testing on servers which need to be stable but over which I have full control and responsibility (i.e. if it breaks it's *my* problem). Debian testing is still *reliable as fuck* but is relatively up to date and is effectively rolling. (When I'm not responsible I use Debian/Ubuntu stable and on home servers I use Arch cos it's easier).

My current laptop is this and it's fucking lovely. I use it for dev and writing and gaming (in the garden :| ). Everything worked out of the box with Arch (in as much as anything ever works 'out of the box' with Arch). I was dubious about the point of a 4k 15" screen but fell in love with it as soon as I got it - text looks fucking amazing. Decent (for chicklet-style) keyboard, nice trackpad and good hardware (it runs Rocket League playably at 4k (which is absurd and pointless, but still)).

I use libinput rather than xinput because it's moderner which means that the touchscreen only works like a basic mouse pointer, with xinput it would work like a touchscreen should but... I don't want a touchscreen on a laptop so I disable it in the bios anyway.

It's a nice laptop. Runs Vim well :D

Oh and GW2 runs fine in Wine with CMST.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.22 In reply to 41816.20 
I've got that problem, my dedicated server is currently running Ubuntu 12.04 but a fresh install will be so much hassle.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.23 In reply to 41816.20 
Here.

This won't fix Node, which still sucks because of it's association with npm and it's awful dependency directory structure, but it will at least fix most of the issues with the Windows command prompt (Even though 10's is massively better than before, allowing such things as ANSI/VT100 colours and being fully resizable.)

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
41816.24 In reply to 41816.23 
Ohhh crikey I'd completely forgotten about that, cheers :D

Does it make the command prompt Unicode compatible, I wonder.
andyf.me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
41816.25 In reply to 41816.23 
I just started using powershell, it seems to be an improvement over standard command prompt.
Apple patents bold new innovation: a paper bag.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Why the fuck are people using Windows command prompt!?

Git for Windows has allowed running Bash on any version of Windows since long before Windows 10 even reached GA, and it doesn't have a dumb restriction of not running on Server editions.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41816.27 In reply to 41816.26 
I installed and use it for... Git.
Apple patents bold new innovation: a paper bag.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.28 In reply to 41816.20 
The latest UBUNTU is well worth it

Worker bee at somewhere that isn't the DVLA!

APPROVED: 18 Oct 2016 19:14 by MILKO

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
Milko-man, I don't like the text ad in that sig; also:
Quote: 
Contact the DVLA is not associated with the DVLA.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
41816.30 In reply to 41816.29 
oh, sneaky! Tsch.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Decided to give Gnome 3.20 a go (should probably figure out how to install 3.22).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS      
41816.32 In reply to 41816.31 
Apparently Gnome don't maintain packages for even the most recent Ubuntu LTS release (no)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.33 In reply to 41816.32 
Ubuntu is kind of a maverick distro that does stuff its own way. Not really for bleeding edge.
“Satellite Navigation Switches Off Parts of Brain Used For Navigation”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41816.34 In reply to 41816.33 
I agree, but you generally see major software maintaining packages for at least the most recent LTS. Time for debian rolling or something.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.35 In reply to 41816.34 
Definitely not for LTS. You'll likely see a package for it in a few months, assuming they backport it.

Anyhoo, here's how to do it:
http://www.webupd8.org/2016/04/how-to-install-gnome-320-in-ubuntu.html
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.36 In reply to 41816.35 
Yeah I'm already on 3.20, I fancied trying 3.22 without building it myself.

So far it's nice but switching between windows isn't so intuitive.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.37 In reply to 41816.36 
I'm using whatever came onboard Fedora 19 (it says 3.8, so I guess they must have changed the numbering since).

I like it ok apart from a few annoyances like the windows jumping around when my cursor goes into a corner.

I put the "gnome-menu" shell extension on it, and dock on the side with 99% of the apps I regularly use (which would be 6), don't really like or use the "activites" thing. I really like that Nautilus file browser does split pane, but I think that's been done away with in newer releases.

I tried some 'lightweight' de's like cinnamon and mate, but they were relatively unstable and feature-poor.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.38 In reply to 41816.37 
I've been using cinnamon for quite a while but wanted something a bit more interesting, or potentially with a few more features that could improve productivity. Maybe simple is the best answer.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Fancied trying Budgie, but it won't install due to me having a too new version of a certain dependency :@ 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41816.40 In reply to 41816.39 
That's the Linux motto.
“A century later, what should the battle of Vimy Ridge mean for Canada?” War is stupid?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats