Idle Chit ChatToday I joined the late 20th century

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)      
41779.21 In reply to 41779.20 
I love a bit of Google tracking. Timeline in Google Maps is one of my favourite Google features.

Also, turning the device off does disable the features, because it's off.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.22 In reply to 41779.20 
Honestly I think the only way to guarantee all of that is to not have the device in the first place. And you probably have to worry about what sort of router you have at home and which ISP and whether to VPN for everything and yadda yadda it likely gets a bit difficult to manage when it all adds up.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41779.23 In reply to 41779.21 
That's what they want you to think!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.24 In reply to 41779.20 
If you're a law abiding citizen (and I'm assuming you are, I don't think there's a law forbidding tin foil hats), then is being tracked necessarily a bad thing? 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
41779.25 In reply to 41779.24 
I'm not bothered about being tracked (and I'm far from a law-abiding citizen!) and I enjoy some of the products that depend upon tracking. But I do think that one should have the right not to be tracked if one would rather not.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
http://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20160715/281655369415092

I'm law abiding -ish, and maybe that matters now.

But in some dystopian future in which, say Donald Trump is POTUS, or UKIP forms a gummint. Crazy, I know...
Hostess Saves Twinkies By Automating, Fires 94% Of Their Workforce
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.27 In reply to 41779.26 
The side scrolling on that page rather than the usual vertical up down arrangement stopped me from reading the article. Is this how Canada internets itself?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.28 In reply to 41779.27 
Interesting thing about the article, is it's in the print edition (which is where I saw it) but not the paper's online version (thestar.com), at least I can't find it there. I had to google the title to find that website, which I agree is stupidly formatted. Bonus: you can't select text! :-O~~~ Anyway, here's a screen cap of salient bits

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
41779.29 In reply to 41779.25 
Yeah, you should be able to have the choice, but in Smiffy's case, that choice is being decided by the delicate balancing act between all out paranoia and giving himself up to getting spied on by everyone with access to a command prompt or as Milko said, just leaving his phone at home (where presumably the powers that be already know he resides).

It maybe his recalcitrant attitude towards the establishment that stops him for benefiting from the plusses that a new phone has to offer, whether one outweighs the other is up to him, but does offer a more fundamental choice of use it and accept that it's possible someone might be looking at his selfies, or leave it in a drawer for use when necessary.

There's another option o'course, get a non-smart cell phone. No GPS, no cameras etc... <shrug>
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.30 In reply to 41779.29 
It's not as draconian as you make it sound. All I need is a suitably shielded case/bag/wallet to carry it in, then when I need to use whatever features I choose (including gps, camera, whatever... actually the camera is crap), all I have to do is take it out and use it. Simple, easy -- said case/bag/wallet not so easy to find though.

Bonus: I'm unreachable when phone is in case/bag/wallet. (bounce)

Did I mention that I hate phones?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.31 In reply to 41779.30 
 :-D

Do you have any lead lined bags from using camera film?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.32 In reply to 41779.30 
I'm curious then, what do you actually want it for?

Also, if you are going to put it in a shielded case of some sort whilst leaving it powered on I'd recommend putting it in Flight Mode because I'm sure a phone without signal that is looking for signal uses far more battery.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.33 In reply to 41779.14 
Good old 53North. I don't miss his racist slurs, but I do miss his insanity.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.34 In reply to 41779.31 
Nope, never used one. I've brought loads of film through airport scanners and they did not appear to be infected.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.35 In reply to 41779.32 
To replace our land line eventually (Mrs.D got a cell about a year ago, we're paying ~30-bucks a mo for landline). Also some other things, like taking crap photos of stupid stuff -- brace yourselves for the deluge -- checking maps from wifi (I don't have a data plan), mp3's, checking email. Music on the nexus 7 is kind of sucky, plus it's relatively awkward to hump around.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.36 In reply to 41779.30 
Walk around in one of these
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UNUVqRO5Fgw/Te0_pUJIjSI/AAAAAAAAQdM/xtrVIr1Xv3I/s1600/Tesla18Dalek10006Ft.jpg

Might have to make the mesh a little finer though.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41779.37 In reply to 41779.36 
Nevermind the cage, I want the dalek with the super taser. Then maybe the Feds will leave me alone!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.38 In reply to 41779.35 
Do you need a landline for your internet connection?

There's an annoying thing in the UK if you have an internet connection via phone line (ADSL, BT Fibre etc) you have to pay for line rental + internet, even if you don't want to use a landline.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.39 In reply to 41779.38 
Nah, we get internet from cable. Though we are thinking of switching isp too so it might be dsl.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41779.40 In reply to 41779.29 
the non-smart phone can still be tracked fairly accurately by cell triangulation. It's when you've got four goons tailing you you really have to worry I suppose.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–51

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats