TechnicalRes vs Hz

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Hello Teh

I have been lurking for a while, Uni and family has taken most of my time, well ALL of my time. How is everyone doing? My daughter will be one year old in a few days, time flies when something something. Oh and I spent some time being ill and then travelling Australia, which is nice.

Anywhooo

I have had this monitor for a while now and have been unhappy with the colour for a long time, no matter how much tweaking I do, the detail and colour representation is always Meh, White never really looks White. I have had a chance to borrow one of these from work and have found it to be beautiful to view, white is actually white and black is super.

Now the question is do I stay with the Asus 144Hz 1ms 1080p TN screen I current have or swap over to the Dell 60Hz 6ms screen at 2k IPS on the Dell? I don't tend to play competitive FPS anymore but I do play a lot of FPS's with friends so the refresh rate is sort of important BUT the beauty of the Dell monitor is just outstanding and games look amazing and really POP out. 

So what would teh do? Pick Resolution over frame rate or vice versa?

Cheers

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX)     
41737.2 In reply to 41737.1 
I'd definitely pick the IPS screen over the TN. In fact I did with my Dell U2412m (think it's that one) and the display quality is great.

I don't play many games these days but it's fine for when I do. I wonder how much of a noticeable difference there would be with a fast gaming monitor.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41737.3 In reply to 41737.2 
That is what I testing on the weekend. I have spent a while reading about this on line but it all boils down to:
Gamers: FPS IS KING I WILL FRAG YOU WITH MY FAST MONITOR SPEEEDZ etc..
Normal people: IPS screen is just nicer to work with

So I asking teh for there opinions on this matter.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.4 In reply to 41737.3 
Not having compared them side by side, my instinct would say that the refresh on a LCD panel is completely fucking irrelevant (as long as it's over what your eye can notice). 

Sound is processed much quicker by your brain, so if you're worried about reaction times in games strap a hi-fi to our head.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.5 In reply to 41737.1 
I'm pretty sceptical about the value of 144hz for anything but very serious CS or something like that. I think GPU manufacturers just decided that since games aren't becoming much more demanding we should all run them faster so we have to buy new cards. And convinced the monitor manufacturers that this would be cool.

Reported response times are always bullshit but TNs will always be quicker than IPSes. If you're good enough at FPSes for this to matter then it will matter. A bit.

IPSes are much better at colours but shit at blacks. TNs are better at blacks but pretty shit at colours (though they're much better than they used to be).

I'd go with the IPS (I have a Dell IPS too and it's lovely).

But why not just plug both in and then you can run the game on whichever you like.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
41737.6 In reply to 41737.4 
My reaction times are the same now as there were when I was a...

<gets hit by a slow flying moth>

+2/2
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
41737.7 In reply to 41737.5 
Thank you Xen, thats my plan for the weekend.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.8 In reply to 41737.6 
It's shocking innit. When I play CS these days I literally can't keep up. I just aim for not being bottom :C
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.9 In reply to 41737.6 
My mouse sucks. But if I got a better one, I'd have no excuse :-{)
Roland Skollani was sick of Pittsburgh. This city was the dead-end of his failed dreams and even dope didn’t help his choking fits no more. It had been a mistake to leave Hollywood and to follow Rita. Maybe it was a twist of fate, that there were only a few days left to leave his ex-wife’s house. Now he MUST act. Rita had a new lover and he didn’t mind, but why of all people did she choose this greedy, corrupt cop Lennon?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41737.10 In reply to 41737.9 
I keep seeing you playing L4D2 when I'm playing other games. Play when I am not playing another game so I can join you.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.11 In reply to 41737.1 
I know very little about these things these days, but do you think with the quality of LCDs these days you'll actually be able to tell the difference?

Maybe a few years ago, but has LCD tech really improved so much? Response times are tiny all round.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.12 In reply to 41737.10 
OK, is it you always playing that soccer-car game?
Roland Skollani was sick of Pittsburgh. This city was the dead-end of his failed dreams and even dope didn’t help his choking fits no more. It had been a mistake to leave Hollywood and to follow Rita. Maybe it was a twist of fate, that there were only a few days left to leave his ex-wife’s house. Now he MUST act. Rita had a new lover and he didn’t mind, but why of all people did she choose this greedy, corrupt cop Lennon?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.13 In reply to 41737.12 
Yes it is.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41737.14 In reply to 41737.11 
For anyone but a CS pro response times are fine on all panels, yeah (VA and similar tech aside).

Can definitely tell the difference in contrast and colours and that though. But then very few panels are really pure TN or IPS, there's a lot of kinda hybrid techs that don't really fit in either category.

But yeah, I think unless you're buying at the super cheap end, a monitor is a monitor to a large extent these days. They're all good. Which is why they're trying to differentiate with absurd resolutions and high refresh rates and Gsync/Freesync etc..
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.15 In reply to 41737.1 
For me, resolution and display quality wins every day over refresh speed. I've never used a modern 60Hz TFT and thought it's slow, jerky, ghosty or whatever.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.16 In reply to 41737.13 
OK, I'm playing most weeknights from ~5:45-6:45p EST, but lately I've been going back and forth on GRAWF2 for the slower, methodical pace.

Not sure how that would work actually as I pause the game frequently to make/monitor supper. Might be able to get mrs.d to cover for me one night.

Probly better to set up a weekend time where I could play for ~an hour uninterrupted. Also be good to work out a teamspeak mode (see, I bought this headset). They do xp and linux clients along with the usual suspects, but someone has to run a server. The other thing you mentioned don't do xp.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.17 In reply to 41737.13 
We all need to get together and play something again.  That used to be a blast!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you don't like donut, then leave it alone. Nobody force you to eat it."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
41737.18 In reply to 41737.17 
Yep.

I'm up for some Vroom too.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41737.19 In reply to 41737.16 
Sounds good to me. Discord is the way to go for voice (I already have a teh server (which you're already in so it turns out I didn't need to mention that)).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I remember back before TFT when there was a clear difference between 60Hz and 85Hz, and it was worth switching down to 16-bit colour to get the higher refresh rate.

(I also remember regularly whipping all your arses at /real/ CS, but I coulda done that with 40Mhz too.)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–33

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats