HardwareCompact me do

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I want one of these: http://www.quietpc.com/sys-sentinel-mini-s

In black, no optical, with an i3 6100T, 16GB RAM, and ... well I haven't decided on SSD or Hybrid.

But I don't want to wait a month for them to get the PSUs in stock. :(

Fallback option is a NUC: http://www.quietpc.com/sys-ultranuc-pro-6th

I don't really like how they look, and the lack of DVI means needing an adapter.

Also, still a 7 day lead time - places with faster delivery only have 5th gen CPUs, fuck all RAM, and a Windows license.

So... anyone happen to know where I'll find a Sentinel Skylake Mini or equivalent that I can order now, or convince me to put up with that silver and black and :& yellow USB :&

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41699.2 In reply to 41699.1 
Might be worth considering one of the Steam Machines if any of them have agreeable aesthetics. They're just small PCs. Probably have more GPU power than you're looking for but definitely don't come with a Windows license.

(Looking at the actual specs, they're either low RAM or expensive so probably no good).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.3 In reply to 41699.1 
BRIX might also be worth looking at.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.4 In reply to 41699.1 
Greyhair & I are running an HD video touchscreen installation in a National Trust property (as Xen knows all too well) from a NUC. Very reliable piece of kit. We bought the base unit across the counter & stuck the bits in - took minutes.

Presumably you don't intend to play high end games on either, cos that looks to me where both would probably fall down.  Graphics capability is lowww end.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
41699.5 In reply to 41699.2 
Not sure I place Valve much higher than Microsoft, but at least there's other brands there to check out - Zotac might have interesting stuff (including a sphere thing that might be cool or maybe I'm just tired), though on quick check only Zotac's graphics cards seem to be available in UK stores.

Saw BRIX somewhere before but they were all underpowered ones. The white GIGABYTE text makes it look cheap and nasty. :/

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
41699.6 In reply to 41699.4 
Nah, doesn't need fancy graphics - just for general use, development and playing music.

It'll initially be a second machine at work, so I can still get stuff done when Windows buggers about (along with having my own machine and more than fuck all disk space and memory), and by the time they decide to downgrade everyone to Windows 10 I'll hopefully have transitioned to using it as my primary dev machine and relegate the other one to Outlook and crap.

Does Xen live in a castle?

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.7 In reply to 41699.5 
'ows about build your own? (didn't pay particular attention to those parts, just chose something obvious).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.8 In reply to 41699.6 
Quote: 
Does Xen live in a castle?
He is the Laird of Ubuntu.

He built the software for the installation, God bless him and all who sail in him.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
41699.9 In reply to 41699.8 
You blessed my seamen.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.10 In reply to 41699.7 
At least he's not buying a macbook pro.

----
"American football is when a bunch over over paid American sports people frightened of being hurt strap on a ton of armour to play a game of rugby"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.11 In reply to 41699.1 
Get a mac mini? :)
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41699.12 In reply to 41699.11 
Did they stop making that?

----
"American football is when a bunch over over paid American sports people frightened of being hurt strap on a ton of armour to play a game of rugby"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41699.13 In reply to 41699.12 
Nah, it's still on the site for sale. I have an old one under my TV, which mostly serves the purpose of a Kodi/XBMC box and therefore could probably be replaced by a Pi or similar. But it's useful in other ways sometimes.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.14 In reply to 41699.1 
I have the case from that bundle (Streacom F1CWS EVO in black) which is currently going unused. It's currently housing a Zotac Geforce 9300-ITX, Pentium E5300 2.6GHz and 2GB RAM*. I also have the requisite nano-PSU and a Streacom Flirc-SE IR receiver but no remote for it.

Until recently it was being used as my Steam Machine before I replaced it with a Steam Link and before that it was my HTPC. 

The case has a few dings and is missing a few screws, specifically a long one that holds the lid on, but the lid and case are such a tight fit that it isn't really necessary to use them as you need to 

You're welcome to make me an offer on the lot.

* I think, I will double check.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.15 In reply to 41699.7 
I had initially start pricing up the individual parts, but wasn't finding everything and there's the whole making sure bits are compatible and having proper airflow that's a bigger issue in something small, so was thinking fuck it I just want it done.

Then some total /poohead/ posted a link to a site which helps check things are compatible which meant last night I started thinking why not go ahead and do a proper custom build, and I was exploring different possible chassis options.

So then today I was considering desk arrangements and space and... short version: I have enough space for a NanoQube or MicroQube - the latter will be a tighter fit, but has front USB and headphone socket.

So if I feel the same way tomorrow I think I'll order that, once I've made up my mind on the hard-drive front...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
41699.16 In reply to 41699.14 
Thanks for the offer, but as per above I have more room than I was thinking, so plans have changed. :)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.17 In reply to 41699.16 
Late submission

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41699.18 In reply to 41699.17 
Too late.

And not a full system.

Or even a finished product.

And they're fucking idiots.

But otherwise good effort.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.19 In reply to 41699.18 
What did you pick?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41699.20 In reply to 41699.18 
I don't know whether to recommend oxycontin or acid, so I'm gonna go with both. Good luck.

----
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats