War & PoliticsISIS Strikes in Paris

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
6 separate, cowardly attacks across Paris; 158 dead, at least 99 people in critical condition. Perhaps a little profiling was wanted here: It may have saved lives. Perhaps [public] people carrying a few guns would have saved some lives. Perhaps a strict immigration/travel policy may have saved lives.

How many lives would one gun in the hands of a law-abiding citizen saved? How about one in each of the six attack sites? Maybe none, but perhaps 20 or more might have been saved. An AK-47 has a practical firing rate of 100 rds/min; in semi-automatic mode, 40 rds/min, full cyclic mode, 600 rds/min. That's a lot of lead flying around in the air, aimed at civilians, in the hands of cowardly masked terrorists. One masked coward hit with a couple of rounds by a person with a concealed carry permit - or even a business owner - may save lives.

If theirs is such a noble endeavour - to purge the world of "infidels" - why do terrorists wear masks?

From the link:

Quote: 
Recently it was discovered that a gang of paedophiles molested over 1,400 girls in Britain. They got away with this crime for the last fifteen years because authorities, abetted by the police, did not wish to seem racist in investigating the charges because the alleged perpetrators were of Pakistani origin.

So should guns be removed from the hands of citizens? It is a debate that will continue for a long time, I expect. The individuals in this Paris attack did not have background checks or permits to carry, and were carrying weapons that even many NRA members don't possess.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
-4/4
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
41625.2 In reply to 41625.1 
3,400: Americans who died by Terrorism since 2001

3,400: Americans who died by household Firearms since five weeks ago.

1.4 Million: Americans who died in all Wars fought since 1776.

1.4 Million: Americans who died via household Guns since 1968

More guns results in more deaths.
+3/3
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
41625.3 In reply to 41625.2 
Quote: 
1.4 Million: Americans who died in all Wars fought since 1776.

I see you have conveniently left out the number of Britons saved in WWI, II with guns.

Guns are obviously here to stay, even in your own country. The Paris Judiciaire carried guns to respond to the attack.

Quote: 
More guns results in more deaths.

Taking the tack that eliminating guns will result in fewer deaths is naive at best.

Let's look at knives in England:

Quote: 

Knife crime has increased in England and Wales for the first time in four years, with the number of assaults with blades rising 13%, according to the latest set of police recorded crime figures.

Quote: 
The increase to 26,370 offences was announced ahead

So by your logic, since knives kill people, all knives should be banned. It is too simplistic a view, ANT. I've provided links for my sources.

May 7, 2013

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Quote: 

National rates of gun homicide and other violent gun crimes are strikingly lower now than during their peak in the mid-1990s, paralleling a general decline in violent crime, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Beneath the long-term trend, though, are big differences by decade: Violence plunged through the 1990s, but has declined less dramatically since 2000.
Homicide

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.4 In reply to 41625.3 
Incidentally, ANT, automobiles kill people too, so we should ban the ownership and use of them. To wit:

Quote: 
There were 30,057 fatal motor vehicle crashes in the United States in 2013 in which 32,719 deaths occurred. This resulted in national motor vehicle crash death rates of 10.3 deaths per 100,000 people and 1.11 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. The fatality rate per 100,000 people ranged from a low of 3.1 in the District of Columbia to a high of 22.6 in Montana. The death rates per 100 million vehicle miles traveled ranged from 0.56 in the District of Columbia to 1.96 in Montana.
Fatality Facts

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.5 In reply to 41625.3 
Do you believe gun ownership results in the less innocent deaths?

I don't believe guns have a practical use for members of the general public, outside of maybe hunting. Knives obviously have a practical use in the kitchen. There is a huge difference between killing with a gun and a knife. Attacking with a knife is so much more involved, but also so much easier to defend.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.6 In reply to 41625.4 
Deaths from cars generally aren't deliberate acts of murder, poor comparison.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.7 In reply to 41625.1 
> Perhaps a strict immigration/travel policy may have saved lives.

Fuckwit.

This saves me typing:

If anyone you know tries to use last night's attacks as a reason to turn away migrants and asylum seekers, please just remind them that most asylum seekers are trying to escape precisely the sort of people who perpetrated the Paris attack. They're not bringing it with them, they're trying to escape it.

+5/5
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.8 In reply to 41625.5 
Quote: 
but also so much easier to defend.

Tell that to the dead.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.9 In reply to 41625.8 
Is it easier to defend against someone with a gun or someone with a knife? 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41625.10 In reply to 41625.7 
Quote: 
Fuckwit.

I expected better from you, Peter. Resorting to base expletives is a rather low form of wit, don't you think?

Try replacing "fuck" with "intercourse" and see how it sounds.

Quote: 
If anyone you know tries to use last night's attacks as a reason to turn away migrants and asylum seekers,

I don't want to turn away migrants and asylum seekers, but I do want to prevent illegal immigration and scoundrels from entering anyone's country - just as I want to make sure that guns don't get into the hands of a schizophrenic, psycopath, sociopath, manic-depressive, paranoiac, drug addict or a Methodist.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.11 In reply to 41625.6 
Doesn't matter, deaths just the same. Guns are necessary because outlaws have guns; our POTUS has seen fit to release 6,000 prisoners from Federal prisons, so who knows where they will end up? Crime generally repeats, particularly for the institutionalised. Our POTUS has pussy-footed with Syria; so then the terrorists come to America

Not all gun crimes are deliberate either, although most are.

What happens when ISIS comes to England in retaliation for airstrikes in northern Iraq? What do you combat them with, the back of a leather glove and refusing them afternoon tea? An ounce of prevention...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.12 In reply to 41625.9 
A gun. Most people are incredibly bad shots and can't hit the broad side of a barn with one, let alone a moving target. Problem is, most people freeze with panic instead of taking action.

By the way, [Briton] Jihadi John was pretty handy with knife, wasn't he?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.13 In reply to 41625.10 
> I expected better

Consider what that indicates.

> illegal immigration

What makes a person moving from one free country to another illegal?

> and scoundrels

Violence begets violence.

If you want to stop it, determine what actions combined to cause innocent children to grow into murderers.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.14 In reply to 41625.4 
Just to go along with your woeful car analogy for a moment, we are moving towards driverless cars and in the not so distant future people will probably be incredulous that we drove them ourselves. "Didn't that cause a lot of deaths?" "Oh yes, millions".
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.15 In reply to 41625.1 
How many of the ludicrously common mass shootings in the USA are ended by a bystander with a gun? It's roughly zero, as far as I know.
milko
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41625.16 In reply to 41625.15 
Although, to be fair, if almost everybody carried a gun I'm sure that there would be far more mass shootings ended by a bystander with a gun.

Take that how you see fit.
never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.17 In reply to 41625.15 
Damn good point. I suspect, though it's not laudable, most people's first reaction would be to get the shitfuck away from someone with a gun, not trying to be a hero and take whoever it is down.

Even with a gun, would you want to put yourself in the firing line? I appreciate there's a certain type of person willing to do that, most likley professional bodyguards and military types.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.18 In reply to 41625.12 
>>A gun. Most people are incredibly bad shots and can't hit the broad side of a barn with one, let alone a moving target. Problem is, most people freeze with panic instead of taking action.

And yet you advocate arming everyone so they can take a pop at the terrorists.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
If we are going to do this, we should acknowledge that for example Canada have their citizens allowed guns and they manage not to shoot each other nearly as much as people do in the USA. So it's not only having guns that is the problem, there's more to it than that. Still, I'm not sure why people like fixrman are often so keen on other nations getting MORE guns. I live in London and. It is not rare to see someone losing their temper at some point during the day. Why would adding guns help? Meanwhile we have armed police for those situations where people are using illegal weapons and it seems to work ok most of the time.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41625.20 In reply to 41625.19 
Canada has about the same amount of territory as the USA, but a tenth of the population. There are fewer gun deaths because the bullets just go through the gaps between the people.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats