Codinghtaccess mojo

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Matt     
41579.21 In reply to 41579.20 
I might do that out of idle curiosity, one fine day.

:-{)

Quote: 
As long as you have free reign to install packages

Virtualbox. Hello?

----
"The general aim of these science fiction writers is to frighten the people into a state of paralysis or psychological incompetence bordering on hysteria" – FBI informant
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.22 In reply to 41579.15 
Yes, and now the wonderful flawless nginx is around EVERYONE should instantly ditch Apache, all their years of experience, scripts, and configuration, and jump across to nginx which can be learnt instantly, provides all the same functionality, is perfectly compatible in every way, and will make scented rainbows shoot out their arse.

Or perhaps you could stop acting like a twattish fanboy and accept that they each have different benefits and drawbacks, and - even if nginx was objectively better in every way - it still takes time and effort to switch such a central piece of software, and so blurting about people "still" using what is by far the most used web server is simply pitiful.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41579.23 In reply to 41579.22 
I didn't say nginx was flawless and I didn't say everyone should switch.

Experience can be re-learnt, scripts re-written or better yet, written to be independent of the web-server, software and as for configuration, that should be handled by Saltstack or Puppet so you can test, re-test and deploy configuration changes safely. I know fully well that switching out takes time and effort, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Also, I don't think nginx ships with the rainbow arse shooting module compiled in. Apache definitely ships with the false sense of superiority due to having more users module though :P

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41579.24 In reply to 41579.23 
You two are funny

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.25 In reply to 41579.23 
> I didn't say everyone should switch.

So what exactly is "People still use Apache?" saying, because it looks an awful lot like an expression of surprise at there being a plural of person not having switched away from Apache yet.

> ...[waffle]...

Missing the point.

> switching out takes time and effort, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

That's precisely what it means: When one has a long list of tasks to achieve, the solution is basically to prioritise those tasks in terms of how much benefit they provide versus how much it costs to achieve them.

Those that wont benefit from switching or for whom it occupies too much time should not do it, unless either/both of those cases change.

Whilst there are sacrifices nginx makes in favour of performance, there will remain people who require functionality it does not provide, and Apache is likely to remain their best/only option for quite a while. Assuming they aren't in the ~15-20% that (OMG) don't use nginx or Apache.

If you're still reading anything here as superiority then I'm probably wasting my time, but at least it's making Truffles happy.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.26 In reply to 41579.25 
Its called a generalisation, with an emoticon to show mock surprise.

You can't simply cut out bits of my post and claim it's waffle. You need to show which bit is waffle and why.

Also, why does something taking time and effort mean you shouldn't do it? When you have a laundry list of tasks that you need to prioritise, investigating change should be in there. Not necessarily at the top, but to negate it entirely is foolish.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41579.27 In reply to 41579.24 
There's only one cure for nerd rage: disco.
http://youtu.be/u1qN6gLbUMw

----
"The general aim of these science fiction writers is to frighten the people into a state of paralysis or psychological incompetence bordering on hysteria" – FBI informant
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.28 In reply to 41579.26 
> You can't simply cut out bits of my post and claim it's waffle

I think you'll find I can - see msg:41579.25 for an example.

> Also, ...[waffle]... to negate it entirely is foolish.

It seems I mis-judged when reducing; my original wording made it impossible to claim inferrance of that nonsense. Oh well.

Keeping abreast of the available options is a relatively simple task that all competent professionals do, and an entirely separate step from deciding whether any alternative should be even considered, nevermind actually testing it out and scheduling when a live implementation is viable and sensible.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.29 In reply to 41579.28 
> [some waffle Pete said that I'm not going to quote properly so people don't know what I'm referencing to try and make me look better, but really all I'm doing is showing I can't be bothered to argue his points properly].

Pizza, what do you have on it?

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)      
41579.30 In reply to 41579.27 
Its Sunday night fever, but close enough.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.31 In reply to 41579.22 
Wow, who pissed on your waffles this morning?

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.32 In reply to 41579.28 
I know far less about this stuff than you or Matt and my use of dedicated web servers these days is pretty much limited to reverse proxying node apps.

But Apache was always a struggle for me. Its config files felt arcane and I never really understood what I was doing with it.

Nginx feels like a breeze in comparison. I understand its config and its far easier to get it to do the (limited, admittedly) things I want it to do.

From my less technical perspective (though having used both a reasonable amount) my impression is that Nginx can do about 90% of what Apache can do and it does much of it better.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Now that I'm living in a country that uses the "ng" sound in a lot of the place names, "nginx" is a really hard word to read.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Lucy (X3N0PH0N)     
41579.34 In reply to 41579.32 
Yes, and ...? ¬_¬

The sole point I'm trying to get through the apparently lead-lined skulls in this place is that the remark "People still use X? Oh." is at best lame and non-constructive fanboy trolling. If you consider that X has more than twice the users of its nearest alternative, and will likely continue to have the largest user base of its class for the next five years, it makes the comment an incredibly dumb one too.

Whether or not X is or was any good is entirely irrelevant to that.

Why the fuck is it so hard to get people using their brains?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.35 In reply to 41579.34 
Hyperbole and facetiousness.

(i.e. it was less a statement of what is the case and more a statement of what Matt believes should be the case. That most people in most cases would probably be better served by Nginx than Apache. And he's probably right).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.36 In reply to 41579.35 
I think the point that Peter's making is that Apache comes bundled as part of a whole host of web hosting and devices, and most of them won't know better or even give a shit

So nginx is superior? So when did that ever matter?

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.37 In reply to 41579.34 
Quote: 
non-constructive fanboy trolling it makes the comment an incredibly dumb one too.

J'accuse!

Because X having more than twice the number of users is a guarantee that something will be better? To dismiss the alternatives is also insanely arrogant, dumb and bordering on some insane brand loyalty fanboy-ism too.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
41579.38 In reply to 41579.36 
Sure but fewer people use those sort of web hosts these days. It's all Digital Oceans and Amazon S3s where you spin up your own VM and choose your own tools.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41579.39 In reply to 41579.38 
Fewer which people, exactly?

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
And the .htaccess works (thus far) on client hosting.  :-O~~~

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–50

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats