Games (inc Online)Max Payne 3

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Any compelling reason(s) to not throw five bucks at this @ humble bundle? (sale ends midnite)

----
"Spread the word or you basically hate sick children."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
41483.2 In reply to 41483.1 
It's a huuuuuuge download. That's all I know, but it's been enough to stop me bothering as I have 2m4nyG4m3z already.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
41483.3 In reply to 41483.2 
Any idea how large a dl? I see it needs 35G on disk, which is pretty huge. According to this review it's got a shit-ton of cut scenes, which probably explains the size.

OTOH I have several games I can nuke.

I got the original MP like 15-years ago (or whenever it came out), and it was buggy as hell on my Slot A athlon, but the story was pretty cool. Reinstalled it a coupla months ago and was astounded by how primitive it was with quality maxed out.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41483.4 In reply to 41483.3 
I dunno - I guess it'll be compressed a fair bit to download... then again a quick google suggests 29GB so maybe not that much!

I did enjoy the first game quite a lot, that bullet time thing was a fun gimmick.
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41483.5 In reply to 41483.4 
Damn. That's brutal. I'm out.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41483.6 In reply to 41483.5 
I think I downloaded more for GTA5, just left it overnight. Not worried about caps on my broadband service. But still can't be bothered for this game!
milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41483.7 In reply to 41483.6 
I sourced the original game new on Amazon for $25 inc. shipping, which is cheaper than humble price + my 25G cap overage would be. Bonus: it's on dvds, so I can install anytime I want without waiting around for a huge dl with fingers crossed.

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41483.8 In reply to 41483.1 
I though it was a game with a lot of potential that was ruined by some utterly stupid decisions made during development. As such, I played it for a couple of hours, almost tore my hair out with frustration at it, then deleted it.

Main criticisms:

1) Every few seconds the game takes control away, shows you a cut scene where Max blunders into the middle of a room (which you know is about to be attacked), swans around without a care in the world, then has to dive behind the shittest piece of cover once the baddies inevitably swarm in. Then the game gives you control back, and you're stuck in a crap position you'd never have gone to if you'd been properly in control. Repeat. Oh, and every time it does this, it always switches you back to the basic pistol - which is doubly annoying if it's out of ammo.

2) The method of changing weapons is awful. And if you go the wrong way through the list and select the wrong weapon by mistake (hovering over it for half a second counts a selecting), Max is very good at automatically throwing his other gun away. So your pistol is out of ammo, you've just had a cutscene where the game has dumped you into a crap position and switched you back from the rifle to the empty pistol. In your haste, if you scroll the wrong way through the weapons, he'll pull out a second pistol (also with no ammo) and then throw the rifle away. Aaaand you're dead.

3) The checkpoint system is awful. No manual saves, and after the game has killed you via one of the methods above, you find yourself rewound through 10 minutes of gameplay and through a couple of big battles to an ancient checkpoint save from yonks back. Meaning lots of stuff you've already done has to be replayed.

Ergo, combine these three things and it annoyed me to the level of being uninstalled. Wouldn't waste my money on it if I were you until Rockstar learn how finish their games properly.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
41483.9 In reply to 41483.8 
Some of the stuff you bring up is mentioned in the review I linked to. It sounds like many of the flaws in the original release have been carried over. Not good.

My experience with playing similar-ish-vintage Metro 2033 and Dead Island/+ Riptide is that I unexpectedly became engrossed in the cut-scene supported narratives. I'm a big fan of film noir, and curious to see how this is adapted to a game. Allegedly MP3 graphics are jaw-droppingly good on the pc, though it remains to be seen how much my rig can render (apparently many/most of its cut scenes are rendered by the game engine, not pre-rendered video).

The thing about being wrong-footed into situations also happens with some frequency in these games, but it can serve to remove them from the tedious 'shooting gallery' realm of many fps.

Having said that, I'm enjoying playing through DI-R again, with the benefit of a pre-skilled up character, where to go, what not to waste time doing, which weapons to pick up, which to use against particular enemies, and how to switch between them in a rather awkward system of having to click through everything in  the menu to get to the one you want (there's a way to configure the keyboard layout, but in practice this crapped out on me leaving me with no weapons until I pause/restart). The game has plenty of annoying glitches, but figuring out work-arounds kind of adds to the realism if you can see through the frustration. Whose gun hasn't jammed in a firefight? Oh.

Haven't placed an order for MP3 yet, so thanks for the feedback!

----
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41483.10 In reply to 41483.9 
It's worth noting that I like a good storyline, and I'm fine with cutscenes. I really liked Max Payne 2, and I think the frustrations of Max Payne 3 particularly annoyed me as I was very much looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, it's typical of Rockstar. Make a great game, then drop the ball with a few of the final user interface bits. With some better cover choices, better weapon selection system, no switching to the pistol all the time and a decent save system, MP3 could have been a really enjoyable game. Instead, they spend all that effort with it and cock it up right at the end.

They're not the only ones incidentally, Irrational dropped the ball with Bioshock Infinite as well IMO due to a couple of stupid moments during development.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I have played MP3. Amazing game! this bundle looks good too! 
Ben
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–11

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats